Chapter 7

Your phone ringing around noon a couple of days later was not how you wanted to wake up. Especially after staying up until sunrise talking to Eric. You sat on the edge of the bed and ran a hand down your face as you answered. "Yeah?"

"Hey, Y/N. It's Sam."

You grunted in acknowledgement. "What can I do for you?"

"Actually, we're a little short handed around here. I was sort of hoping you could help us out tonight."

You glanced at Eric sleeping behind you. He would be annoyed, but he could just deal with it. You needed to check in with Sookie anyway. "Yeah, sure, Sam. No problem."

He huffed out a breath. "Thank you. You're a real lifesaver."

"So, I've been told." You hung up and shifted so your back was leaning against Eric's headboard. He'd brought you to his house to stay due to your lack of furniture. And while you'd fallen asleep in his arms every night, that and a few kisses were the extent of your intimacy. Well, that and the blood exchange. On some levels that was more intimate than intercourse. You brushed Eric's hair back and ran your gaze over his face.

A week ago, you would have thought waking up beside him ever again an impossibility. You weren't about to take the time with him for granted. Never again. You leaned your head back and closed your eyes as you ran through the list of things you needed to do. Your father had finally arranged for someone to deliver your furniture and Eric was having someone meet them so you didn't need to be there. There were some things left in your apartment you wanted. A couple of hours and you could probably have it all packed up. You might as well get it over with.

You got dressed, opting for wearing the dress shirt Eric had worn the night before and your jeans. Sam could just deal with you not wearing the Merlotte's uniform. You'd probably be behind the bar anyway. You jotted off a quick note to Eric and headed out the door.

***

As you'd predicted it didn't take long for you to pack the rest of your things. The furniture and things you didn't care for, you left for Sam. He could get more renting out a furnished apartment anyway. You'd loaded everything in the cab of your truck and grabbed a couple of more hours of sleep before heading into the bar.

Sam frowned at your clothes but didn't say a word. Smart man. You were filling in where needed for the night, switching roles if necessary.

Sookie greeted you with a grin and a hug. "Y/N, it is so good to see you. It's a great day. Isn't it a great day?"

You lifted a brow and your lips twitched. Your gaze landed on the scarf at her neck. Bill. As much as you disliked the man, as long as he was making Sookie happy, you'd cut him some slack. "I missed you. How have you been?"

"Just fabulous."

"Well, aren't you in a good mood," Arlene said as she joined the conversation.

"Yes, I am." Sookie grabbed her tray and spun away, her hips swinging as she went. Sam and Arlene both looked from her to you.

You shrugged. "What? I just got here. I know nothing."

The door opened to the bar opened and three of the biggest jackoffs in Bon Temps walked through the door. Sam must have noticed the look on your face because he turned to see them as well.

"Shit. Cover the bar, would you?" He hurried off to intercept Lafayette without waiting for your response.

You glanced beneath the bar to make sure the baseball bat was still where you'd last seen it and pulled a beer for the customer at the end of the bar. At least you wouldn't be bored.