Chapter 23

You were behind the bar at Fangtasia taking inventory while Godric sat on a stool keeping you company. Pam and Eric were in the office going over payroll. Both were tasks normally left to others but after the issue with Longshadow, Eric was taking a more hands on approach. You wondered how long it would last.

You were crouched behind the bar counting glasses when the front door opened and shut.

"Sorry, we're closed," Godric said.

"I'm actually looking for someone," a familiar voice answered.

In an instant, you were on your feet. Your father's attention turned to you and he smiled. You couldn't help the little squeal that left you as you hopped the counter and threw yourself into his waiting arms. It had been months since you'd seen him last, and you hadn't parted on the best of terms. And, while you'd made amends since then, it wasn't the same as one of his hugs. "I missed you," you said into the shoulder you had your face pressed into.

"I've missed you too, angel."

When you finally released him, you stepped back and looked him over. Not that he would look any different. He was a vampire, after all. "You're early." He wasn't due to arrive until the next day.

He grinned. "Like I said, I missed you."

You took his hand and turned to find Godric, Pam, and Eric all standing behind you. "Dad, this is Godric, Pam and Eric. Everyone, this is my dad, Roman."

Eric stepped forward and offered his hand. "It's an honor to meet you, sir."

Roman shook his hand but simply hummed in acknowledgment instead of saying anything in return. You nudged him in the ribs with your elbow. "It's nice to finally meet you," he said, amusement in his tone. He'd stayed silent just to irritate you. Jerk.

"Do you have an entourage with you?" you asked.

He looked down at you with a lifted brow.

"If you do, you're staying at the hotel. Otherwise, you can stay with us," you explained.

"We also have a loft that you can use as well," Eric was quick to offer.

"We can discuss my lodgings later. But first, dinner. My treat."

***

When you arrived at the overpriced restaurant, you'd been shown to a private room so any conversation wouldn't be overheard. You left Pam at the club but brought Godric with you. Your father kept shooting glances in his direction but had yet to ask outright who he was to you. Idle conversation filled the first half of the meal. As expected, it was your father who turned the focus to more serious topics.

"Nan is displeased over the incident in Dallas. She believes that we set her up," he said with a glance at you.

"Nan is displeased because she got called out on her shit," you countered.

Roman frowned. He had tried to make you a proper lady and he so hated be reminded that you were not. Unless he was using it to his advantage, of course. "I've explained to you before that she is a necessary evil."

You sighed and leaned back in your chair. "No. She's a bitch. I get the PR stuff, but she does you no favors amongst the vampire community. She's not asserting your authority, she's giving people another reason to dislike you."

His eyes shifted to look at the other two men at the table who both nodded in agreement with your words. "I'll take it under consideration. In the meantime, she has been assured that she doesn't have to be in your vicinity for the foreseeable future."