Chapter 18

It was decided that you and Sookie would present as friends looking for a new church. You intended to play quiet and if necessary you would pretend you were the puppet Stan thought you to be until you escaped from your horrible vampire boyfriend. You thought he loved you. Sob. So on and so forth.

Part of you wanted to go with Stan's idea. Hell, if there was a way to be rid of the Fellowship without it pointing back to the vampires, you'd jump for it in a heartbeat. They were the epitome of everything wrong with so-called religions. Standing behind their gods to justify their hate and prejudices.

You sighed as you pulled into the parking lot. A perky blonde signaled for you to park and you frowned.

"Why does she look familiar?" Sookie asked.

"That's Sarah Newlin, the reverend's wife. I'm not happy that it appears we were expected, Sookie. I doubt she greets everyone that pulls in the parking lot." You clenched your teeth together. Your gut was telling you to just pull right back out of the parking lot, but this was still your best bet to find Godric. "Just be on guard."

Sookie nodded her head then slipped out of the car with a grin on her face, ready to greet the Mrs. You followed along behind her playing timid.

"Hi," Sarah exclaimed. "I'm Sarah Newlin. I saw y'all pulling in and thought I'd come out and greet you myself."

Sookie walked right up to her and shook her hand. "I can't believe I'm actually getting to meet you. My name is Heidi Merlotte. This is my friend Sylvia North. We've recently moved to the area and are looking for a church."

Sarah shifted that smile to you and held out her hand. You took it gingerly and kept your other arm wrapped around your waist. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sylvia."

You just nodded in acknowledgement.

"Well, you're a quiet thing aren't you?"

Sookie wrapped her arm around you and leaned forward as if sharing a great secret. "We moved to get Sylvia out of a situation, so to speak. She's still recovering."

You could almost believe the look of sympathy Sarah directed your way. She turned and motioned for you to follow her. "Well, follow me and we'll see if Steve's available. I'm sure he'd just love to meet you."

"The reverend himself?" Sookie enthused. "That would be amazing."

The two of you followed Sarah to an office where Steve Newlin sat behind a large desk. "Honey, we've got a couple of friends here looking for a church. Heidi Merlotte and Sylvia North." You shuffled in and took the offered hand, nodding at his greeting before looking around the office. Sarah bent over to whisper something in her husband's ear that you weren't meant to hear. "They insinuated they moved to escape some sort of trauma."

Steve made a sound of agreement before gracing you with that megawatt smile he was so famous for. You settled into your chair, content to let Sookie do all the talking. She always chattered when she was nervous anyway.

"Sylvia and I met in church actually, but we left when we discovered that the pastor was...well he was..." Sookie trailed off dramatically and you managed to resist the urge to roll your eyes.

"Homosexual?" Steve suggested.

Ugh, just when you thought you couldn't hate this guy more than you already did. What an ass. "A sympathizer. He was a sympathizer," you said before he could say something else that made you want to punch him in the face.

"Now see, that really makes me mad. How can you claim to love God if you love something God hates?" Too late. You wanted to punch him.

"Well, given Sylvia's history, we know just how horrible vampires are," Sookie added after a pause and you wondered what she'd heard in the asshole's head. "No one will ever convince us that they have any sort of control. They are just evil."