Chapter 15

Sookie sat at the bar with a glass of whiskey and coke in front of her. That was as close as you got to consoling her over what she just saw. You didn't want to make it better. In fact, you preferred her wanting to stay the hell away from Bill.

Eric stood behind you sipping at his own drink while he ran a finger up and down the back of your arm. You leaned into his chest savoring the contact. Finally, Bill emerged from the basement. Sookie refused to look at him even when he stood right beside her.

"I want to thank you for securing my release," he said.

"Uh huh." Sookie stood but still didn't look at him. "Let's go. I have to pack."

"Pack?" His gaze darted from this blonde to the two of you. "Where are you going?"

"None of your business, Compton," you answered for her. You glanced at Eric and gestured toward Sookie with a nod of your head. "I think I better go with. Just to make sure everything stays on track. I'll pack when I get back."

He nodded once and kissed your temple. "Be safe."

You walked backward away from him with a little smirk. "Just driving to Bon Temps, Eric. Think I'll be just fine."

***

You sat in the back while Sookie drove and Bill sat in the passenger seat. They'd been arguing almost since the drive started. Fortunately, you were nearing the little town.

"You killed him, probably both of them, and you don't even care," Sookie said for the fourth time.

Apparently, Bill was as tired of hearing it as you were. "I am a vampire, Sookie. I needed to feed. If you insist on associating with vampires, you need to grow up. And if you wish to blame someone for the deaths, blame Eric. If he had fed me during my incarceration, I wouldn't have been so ravenous."

"You're seriously not going to take any responsibility? You know why you were in that basement. You would still be there if not for her, so watch your tone," you snapped.

Bill snarled at you. "Just because you and Eric are fornicating, does not mean you have any authority over me. So, you would be wise to watch your tone."

The car slid to a sudden stop causing you to rock forward. You glanced to Sookie with a frown.

"Get out," she said.

"Pardon?" the vampire asked.

"You heard me, Bill Compton. Get the fuck out of my car. First, you insult me and then you threatened my friend."

"I am not getting out of the car, Sookie. Just drive."

"Fine," she said before throwing off the seatbelt. She got out of the car, taking the keys with her and slamming the door.

Bill groaned and started to open the door until you stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

"I've got this. I think you've done enough." You followed after your friend without giving him a chance to respond. You were surprised to find she'd already put a good deal of distance between herself and the car. She apparently could get a move on when she was pissed. You jogged after her. "Sookie. Wait up."

She slowed and turned to you with a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. Something was in the brush keeping pace with you but you didn't even react. No sense in freaking out the telepath unless necessary. "Hey," you said as you reached her.

"Hey," she said as she turned to start walking again. You put a hand on her arm to stop her.

"Stay still."