Chapter 2

"Where are you living now?" Eric asked, finally breaking the silence.

"A shitty apartment in Bon Temps." Actually, you were Dawn's neighbor. She'd been a waitress at Merlotte's and the latest murder victim. You wondered if you could get a discount on the rent due to emotional trauma. Probably. Sam was kind of a sucker for the damsel in distress.

"Why?"

"What do you mean, why? Why Bon Temps?"

"That and why a shitty apartment. Money has never been an issue for you if I recall."

It was actually one of the things Eric liked about you. He never had to worry you were only interested in his money. You had plenty of your own and even if you didn't your father would have picked up the slack. You shrugged. "If you must know, I was doing a little job for Sophie-Anne. I didn't intend to stay in Bon Temps long, but I kind of like it. Haven't decided if I'm going to make it permanent yet or not."

He ran his gaze over you and you did your best to ignore it, keeping your head turned toward your window. "What sort of job?"

You smiled at that. "I would assume if your queen wanted you to know that, she'd tell you. She didn't bother to mention this was your area when she sent me here."

He huffed a laugh. "Does that surprise you?"

"No. Nothing much surprises me anymore. Except for discovering that bar is yours. Doesn't seem like your style." You glanced over at him. The corner of his mouth kicked up in a small smirk, but he kept his eyes on the road.

"Money is my style, Y/N and Fangtasia makes me plenty of it."

You hummed in agreement. "I'm sure it does." You let the silence stretch a minute. "It was Pam's idea wasn't it?"

He laughed. "Yes, it was."

A short time later he pulled up in front of an industrial looking apartment building. You leaned forward in your seat to take in the full height of it, but before it could really register, Eric was opening your door. "Come."

You frowned, but followed him just the same. No words were spoken while you trailed behind him as he entered the building and made a beeline straight for the elevator with only a passing nod for the doorman.

He pressed the button for the seventh floor. You stood on the opposite side of the car and watched him. Anyone else would think he was settled, calm, but you could see the tension in his long, lean body. In the way he held his arms behind his back. Even in the way his feet shuffled.

When the elevator arrived on its floor, he stepped out first and headed to one of four visible doors. He unlocked it and motioned you inside as he flipped on the lights. You had assumed he was taking you to his home, but an empty apartment opened before you. Stunning, but empty. Exposed piping and metal beams mixed with shiplap walls and state of the art appliances were offset by a stained concrete floor. Had you drawn a plan for an apartment, it wouldn't have been any more fitting. It was perfect.

You glanced at Eric wondering what he was up to and found his eyes already on you. "What is this?"

He smirked. "An apartment. A very nice apartment."

"That was very helpful, Eric. Thank you." You rolled your eyes and stepped over to take in the view. It was as amazing as the rest of the apartment. Eric's movement was reflected in the glass as he came stand behind you "Why did you bring me here?"

"Because why live in a shitty apartment if you can live here?" he said as if it was the most reasonable, expected thing in the world.

"So, you brought me here in the middle of the night to play real estate agent?" This was so not the conversation you'd anticipated having when he dragged you out of Fangtasia.