Chapter 16

Sookie got off the plane in Dallas with you and Sam trailing behind. You smiled at her chipper attitude as she greeted the limo driver. Sam leaned toward you. "How many of those did she have exactly?" he asked referring to the little bottle of vodka she held in her hand.

You shrugged. "I have no idea. Probably a lot. She drinks when she's nervous."

Sam huffed in annoyance and picked up his speed. He was by her side by the time the driver spoke up.

"You're late. You were supposed to be here two hours ago."

"We have no control over the airline," you responded with an arched brow. Your eyes ran over the man in front of you. His gaze kept darting around the hanger and sweat beaded on his brow. Dallas had a leak. "Sookie, Sam, you should get in the car."

"That's okay, Y/N. I'll wait out here with you," Sookie said.

"Sam, car," you repeated and the shifter steered his girlfriend in that direction.

The man attempted to move toward the car and you shot your hand out to grab him by the neck. "You and I, however, are going to wait for my mate. I believe he would like a word with you."

"M-mate?" the man stammered as his face paled.

A smirk twisted your lips. "Failed to mention that, did they?"

They would. An angry vampire was one thing. A furious mate was quite another.

"What is the meaning of this, alskling?" The smooth voice came from behind you, only a hint of annoyance in his tone. Well, speak of the devil.

"Our driver seems rather nervous, baby. Thought you might want to have a talk with him."

"Indeed." His grip replaces yours on the man's neck. You climbed into the limo and moved all the way to the front seat so Eric would have plenty of room. He steered the driver to the back, pushing him inside and onto a seat.

"What the hell?" Sam asks as Sookie just smiles as she observes what's going on. She had way too many of those little bottles of vodka. But as long as she was happy you were happy.

You motioned for Sam to stay quiet and pay attention.

Eric glamoured the asshole and started his interrogation. "What is your name?"

"Leon."

"Well, Leon, you're going to answer all of our questions, aren't you?" Eric's voice carried that same smooth tenor it always did when he was telling people what to do.

"Yes, sir." Leon had that vacant note in his voice that all glamoured had when speaking. You'd always hated it, even when it was necessary.

"Good. Who sent you?"

"The Fellowship of the Sun."

All of you exchanged a look. Well, it had been too sloppy for vampires so you shouldn't have been surprised.

"But they're a church," Sookie protested.

Sam rolled his eyes while you huffed a laugh. "Churches have done a lot worse over the centuries, Sookie. Always proclaiming it was for the greater good. After all, humans that willingly consort with vampires are just as bad as the vamps in their opinion." You shrugged. There wasn't really a lot else to say on the subject.

"A name. Who specifically hired you?" Eric snapped.

"I don't know. It was all by phone. I picked up money at a bus station locker."

"And what exactly were you hired to do, Leon?" you asked.

"I was supposed to abduct the humans with the Northman party and bring them to the church," he answered, glancing at you.

Irritation spiked through you. "Did they tell you anything about us?"

"No. There was only supposed to be two of you. They didn't give me names or even if you were male or female. You were supposed to land well before he woke for the day. Easy, they said."

So the church only had part of the info. That narrowed down the leak, though hardly anyone was supposed to know you were coming in the first place. The irony wasn't lost on you that there were exactly zero normal humans in the car apart from the man hired to abduct you. That church was certainly in for a surprise.

"Well, here's what's going to happen, Leon," you said. Eric glanced at you with an arched brow. He was probably annoyed that you'd taken over his interrogation. "You are going to drive us to our hotel. When you report back to the people that hired you, you will tell them the flight was delayed, that there were more humans than you'd expected and that the vampire woke immediately upon arrival. It was clear that we all answered to the vampire and did whatever he instructed us to do."

Eric smirked. "Yes, the women had visible bite marks. And the male acted as a servant for the three of us. Do you understand all of that, Leon?"

"What—" Sam started and Eric held up a finger to tell him to wait.

"Yes, sir."

Eric smiled then. "Fantastic. Well, it was lovely getting to know you but we really should be on the way to the hotel now."

Leon shook his head and blinked rapidly. "Of course. I'll take you there immediately."

"Thank you, Leon," you said. As the driver climbed out of the limo to take his seat behind the steering wheel, Eric moved to sit beside you. Once he assured that the partition was firmly in place, he pulled you tightly against his side. You slid one arm behind him and rested your other hand on his stomach.

"What was that about?" Sam all but snarled as the car began to move.

"I thought it might be a good idea to find out who sent him and why. If that's okay with you, human." Eric sounded so incredibly bored.

You hummed, catching your mate's attention. "Not human."

Eric looked down at you with a lifted brow. "Interesting."

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about instructing him to say that Sookie was a walking blood bag."

"To be fair, he's supposed to say the same thing about me," you interjected.

Sam looked you over from top to bottom and opened his mouth before snapping it shut as his gaze shifted back to Eric. Eric's gaze immediately tightened on you, undoubtedly being fully aware of your desire to give Sam a piece of your mind.

"Actually, I told him to imply that I'm fucking her and drinking from her while I do so," Eric corrected, his voice taking on an edge of displeasure. You turned your face into his chest to hide your smirk. "Your girlfriend's safety rests in the fact that no one knows who she is or why she is really here. I intend to keep as few people as possible from finding out the true reason."

With that, silence filled the limo. Sookie was being surprisingly quiet. Maybe you should give her large amounts of alcohol more often. A beat later, Eric spoke again. "And, Merlotte, should you even think of insulting my mate again, you won't like the consequences. Understood?"

"Understood," Sam's voice was tight. You were sure he was already regretting coming with Sookie and the trip was just getting started.