Chapter Four

When you woke you were still in the chair but someone had placed a blanket over you. Sitting up you saw that Sookie was still sleeping and the light coming through the window was a pale gray. You figured you'd only gotten a couple hours sleep at most. You got to your feet and stretched before folding the blanket and laying it over the back of the chair. You shut the door behind you as you left.

A murmur of voices drifted up the stairs and you followed the sound until you found Sam speaking with Tara and Lafayette. The conversation cut off as you stepped into the room. Sam stood almost immediately. "Hey, Y/N. You want some coffee?"

"Oh, God. Yes, please."

While he headed to the kitchen, Tara stood to give you a hug. "How's Sookie?"

"She's out. Hopefully she will be for a while. I gave her a valium."

"Oh, sweetness, you and I are on the same page." Lafayette pulled a baggie from his pocket. "I've got our girl covered."

You walked behind him and patted his shoulder just as Sam returned. You took your mug and sat in the empty seat between the two men. Sam glanced at the time and sighed. "We only have a couple of hours before people start showing up."

Tara huffed a laugh. "Nosy old biddies."

"So, let me get this straight, Sookie's grandmother gets killed and people are just going to turn up uninvited?" you asked.

"Not exactly. People bring by food and pay their respects," Sam explained.

Lafayette arched his brow. "Then they stay so they can gossip about the dead and the living."

"We may not like it, but it's tradition. It's just how things are done." You weren't sure if Sam was trying to convince you or himself.

You leaned back in your seat. "Well, it's not how I do things. If Sookie gets up and wants to see people, that's fine. But we're going to let her sleep. We will accept the food gratefully and write down who brought what. And then they're going to go home."

"You can't do that," Sam argued. "You're going to piss people off."

The corner of your mouth kicked up. "No. You can't do that. I don't care if I piss people off."

"Damn it, Y/N. Be reasonable."

"I'm with her, Sam. None of these people give a shit about Sookie. They never have. Who cares if we piss them off?" Tara argued.

Sam looked to Lafayette.

He put his hands up. "Don't look at me, Sam. None of those people like me anyway."

"Fine. I guess you win, Y/N."

You grinned. "You'd think you'd be used to that by now, Sam."

***

You took up residence on the front steps. For the most part, people stopped when they saw you and accepted your word when you said that Sookie wasn't accepting visitors. One of the others would take the food or flowers and add it to the list so she'd know who brought what later.

Then came Maxine Fortenberry. As soon as you saw her step out of the car, you stood. She gave you a tight smile and tried to move around you, but you continued to block her path. "Sookie's not taking visitors right now. I'll let her know you came by."

She huffed. "I'm quite certain that doesn't apply to me."

She went to pass you again, and you put a hand on her arm to stop her. "It applies to everybody."

Her lips pursed. "Then why are they here?" She lifted her chin to indicate the others gathered at the door behind you.

"Well, they're here to take care of Sookie."