Chapter 25

As expected, Eric made it home well before you. He met your car as it pulled in and opened your door. Immediately, he pulled you into his arms and kissed the top of your head. You relaxed into his hold. You'd been separated for several hours and you'd missed him. Finally, you pulled away to stretch your back. You hated long car rides.

Eric glanced at the group around you. "Where's your father?"

"He rode separately so he could make a call." The reminder annoyed you. It wasn't as if you got to see your father on a daily basis any more. You thought he'd want to spend the car ride without your mate catching up on business and personal things he wasn't comfortable discussing around Eric yet. Instead, he hadn't even ridden in the same vehicle. Gods, he could be frustrating at times.

Your mate arched a brow. "It appears as if all the cars are here, yet your father is not."

You frowned as you glanced around to find he was correct. You even went so far as to open the door to inspect the interior of the car he rode in.

The driver stepped up to you. "He had us drop him off at the hotel, ma'am. He asked me to proceed to your residence to convey his apologies. He will be unable to speak to you until tomorrow."

You clenched your teeth and worked the muscle in your jaw. What the fuck was your father up to? You loved him dearly, but you didn't trust him for a moment. With your life? Yes. Everything else? Not so much. "Alonso," you called.

The man in question was in the process of getting back into the car. He stopped and glanced at you with an arched brow.

"What is he up to?"

There was a pause before he said, "I'm sure I don't know. Perhaps you should ask him."

Oh, you fully intended to do just that. You watched Alonso leave and pulled out your phone. You'd start with a text and escalate from there. You could be pretty damned annoying when you wished to be.

***

Eric's phone rang just after sunset the following night. He was still in bed when he took the call. He listened for a moment while you frowned at him. He kept the volume down on his phone and you were having trouble picking up the other side of the conversation. Eric sat up, swinging his legs off the bed.

"Yes, sir," he said after several minutes. He glanced over his shoulder at you. The look on his face had you shifting uneasily. "I understand, sir."

With that, he ended the call. He licked his lips and shifted his weight on the bed so he could see you more easily. You moved closer but kept some distance between the two of you. You had a feeling you weren't going to like whatever he had to say.

"That was your father," he informed you.

You arched a brow. Why did he call Eric instead of you? You grabbed your phone and checked your notifications. Nothing.

Eric took the phone from your hand and laid it beside his on the nightstand. Nerves made you nauseous. You swallowed the lump in your throat as you stared at your mate waiting for him to speak.

He licked his lips again, a nervous habit he'd never lost. "I've been summoned to appear before the Magister, the Guardian and other representatives of the Authority."

"Why?" You forced the word out through clenched teeth as you willed the tears that suddenly flooded your eyes not to fall. You didn't even know what was going on yet, so why did you feel like crying? And what the hell was your father up to?

"To answer for Sophie-Anne's death."

Fear and anger shot through you in equal measure. "You mean the execution you carried out at the Guardian's command?"

Eric said nothing. It was then that you realized what Roman had done. He had set your mate up to take the fall for the death of a queen. The only punishment that could possibly fit the crime was the true death. He wanted Eric out of your life and this was how he intended to accomplish it. "If he thinks I'm going to sit here and do nothing he's sorely mistaken."

"I am to attend the hearing alone. Anyone accompanying me risks being punished for interfering in Authority matters." His voice was deadpan, emotionless. He was already shutting down. Distancing himself. Preparing for what he felt was inevitable.

"Well, that's a risk I'll just have to take," you argued.

"I agree," came a voice from behind you and you turned to find Godric in the doorway.

He hadn't been here when you arrived the night before and this was the first you'd seen of him since your trip. You gestured for him to join the two of you on the bed and let him pull you into his arms when he did. You leaned against his chest, seeking his comfort.

"I will not risk either of you. You will remain here." Eric's face was hard. It was the look he wore when he'd made up his mind and he was determined no one would change it. You rolled your eyes.

"I wasn't asking for permission, Eric. Frankly, I don't really give a shit what your thoughts are on the matter. You are entirely too self-sacrificing when it comes to the two of us." Godric gave you a little squeeze at your words. Apparently, he agreed.

Your phone buzzed with a notification before Eric could state his argument. You held out a hand and he passed you the phone. You scanned the text and frowned. "When is your meeting?"

"One hour."

"At the hotel? Room 336?" You glanced up to see Eric wearing a frown to match your own.

He grabbed the phone from your hand and read the message from your father.

Meeting. One hour. Rm 336. You are to attend as a guest of the Authority. Bring your boyfriend if you wish.

"Why was he so adamant you not attend with me if he was going to invite you anyway?" Eric tossed the phone on the bed and raked a hand through his hair. He glanced between you and Godric. "I'm sorry, alskling, but I am not overly fond of my in-laws."

You laid your hand on his knee. "At the moment, I'm not overly fond of him either."

***

Despite the uncertainty you held concerning your father's actions at the moment, you knew he seldom did things without reason. So, while Eric flew to the meeting on his own, Godric ran you there. Your mate was already in the room when you arrived to several familiar faces. Your father was nowhere to be seen.

Godric moved to Eric's side which would only be expected of him as his sire. You, however, kept your distance other than a brief nod of greeting. You made your way around the room saying hello to those you knew. When Roman entered, his gaze immediately found you with a smile. He came to your side and kissed your cheek. "I'm so happy you made it, sweetheart."

Your eyes searched his. The coldness you'd expect if he was planning to betray you was absent. All you saw was that spark he got when he was scheming. "And why exactly was I invited to...whatever this is?"

He didn't miss the warning in your tone and the corner of his mouth curled in a smile. "I thought you might enjoy seeing some faces you hadn't in awhile. And your boyfriend should be particularly interested in tonight's proceedings. As you were both near, I thought 'why not'."

Before you could prod him further, he clapped his hands together and turned to the room in general. "Welcome everyone. Let's get started shall we?"