Chapter Six

You remained on Eric's lap for the rest of the night and had even managed to doze off a couple of times despite the noise. When you woke the second time, Eric smiled down at you. "Feeling better?"

You straightened a bit, shifting your weight in his lap. "That depends. Did I drool?"

He laughed. "You were the picture of perfection."

"In that case, I'm fabulous." You stood. "I really should be going." You weren't even sure what time it was, but there had to be something you should be doing with your time besides sitting on Eric's lap. Not that he seemed to mind in the least.

He stood with you and took your hand in his. "I'll take you home."

"I have my truck," you protested, but he ignored you and pulled you along behind him as he made way to his office.

"Get your things," he instructed as he flipped through some papers on his desk. You grabbed the bag you'd left sitting on his couch.

"Okay."

He glanced up in surprise then shook his head. "You always were low maintenance. Let's go." He rounded his desk and took your hand in his again. He led you out the back door and into the employee lot.

Only when he led you to his car, did you protest. "Nope. We're taking my truck. Some of us can't fly back to our cars, Northman."

"Fair enough." There was laughter in his tone.

You pulled your keys from your bag and handed them over, still groggy from your nap. Besides, you wanted to be able to put your full attention on him while the two of you talked. When he started the truck, you touched his arm to make certain he was paying attention. "I'll give you directions while we talk."

"I know how to get to Bon Temps, Y/N. Unfortunately."

"Good for you, but we're not going to Bon Temps. Take me back to that apartment you showed me." You settled back in your seat. "So, what is this between us, Eric? Are you bored? Looking to get laid? Just taking advantage of my proximity?"

His jaw went tight and he sighed. "I told you I spoke to Godric. There is no reason to continue the animosity between us."

You crossed your arms over your chest. "I didn't have any animosity, Eric. I was too busy trying to figure out what the fuck I'd done that was so terrible that you wouldn't even talk to me anymore."

"Why must you always do this?"

"Do what exactly?"

"Push. I told you that I am content to leave the past behind us. Why is that not enough for you?" He pulled into the parking lot of the apartment building and shut off the truck. He shifted in his seat so he was turned toward you.

You looked at your hands twisted together in your lap. "You hurt me, Eric. I need to define what this is, what you want it to be, so I'm going in with my eyes open. I'm more than willing to move forward, but I have to protect myself this time. I can't allow myself to become lost in you again." You wanted to forget that you'd spent the last three years without him and just let him love you. But you weren't even sure that's what he wanted and that's why you were pushing for answers he didn't like giving. Talking about feelings wasn't exactly high on Eric's skill list.

"My heart has been yours since the first moment I saw you."

You jerked your head up at the words and saw nothing but sincerity in his expression.

He gave you a soft smile. "Our relationship is whatever you wish it to be, alskling, so long as I do not lose you again."

The endearment had you sucking in a breath. You hadn't realized how much you'd missed hearing them. "All right, if we're going to do this, I won't share you. And we have to trust each other, Eric. No spying, no lies, and actual conversations if something is bothering us."

"Very well. Now, I'm assuming you wished to see the apartment again?"

You shook your head and opened the door to step out, grabbing your bag as you went. "No need. I already signed the lease."

In an instant he was by your side, taking the bag from your hand with a grin. "That makes me your landlord amongst the other things."

"I know." You leaned into him and tilted your head back to meet his gaze. "I also know that particular unit can be made day proof with the flip of a switch. Which I am assuming is why you showed it to me in the first place."

"One of the reasons, yes." He leaned down and captured your lips with his. The kiss was soft and didn't last nearly long enough. "Come."

He grasped your hand in his and lead you into the building. He stopped at the desk this time. "This is Ms. Y/L/N. She is the new tenant in unit 7C. She is also mine. Make sure that is known." He dragged you off without waiting for a response.

You simply shook your head at his possessiveness. He let you into the apartment with your key and put your bag down near the two others you'd dropped off earlier. He looked around with a frown. "There is no furniture here."

"Calm down, Northman. I just signed the lease. I have to make arrangements to have my stuff delivered from storage."

He arched a brow. "Not Bon Temps?"

"You saw where I live. Besides, I wasn't even certain I would be sticking around. I left most of my stuff in storage when I came."

He closed the distance between you and settled his hands on your hips. "So, I take it this means you plan on staying for awhile?"

You placed your palms on his chest and leaned into him. "I kind of thought that was a given by this point, Eric." You stretched up to kiss him and when he would have pulled away, you held him to you with a hand on his neck. By the time he moved from your lips to kiss down the line of your throat, you were panting. "Bite me."

He leaned back to meet your gaze, his eyes questioning.

"I miss you, Eric. I miss our connection." You bit your bottom lip as you waited for his response, still unconvinced he wanted the same level of commitment that you did.

His tongue darted out to trace his lips as his gaze shifted to your neck. "You will drink from me as well."

"Of course, but you'll have to bite me again, later. I want to wear your mark."

He groaned and the needy sound went straight to your core. He'd always loved to mark you, claim you. As his mouth lowered to your throat, you took a deep breath. And as his teeth sunk into your tender flesh, only one thought ran through your head. You were home.