Chapter Eight

A/N: Sorry for the delay in updates. My health hasn't been the best as of late. 

***

You tossed your things in your truck before spinning and shoving Eric away from you. "Your mate, Eric? Really?"

He brushed his chest as if wiping away your touch. Ass. "Yes. I fail to see the problem."

That stopped you. "Wait. You're actually claiming me?"

His brow furrowed. "Of course. You didn't honestly think I would make such a proclamation without meaning it?"

"You literally proclaim things on a daily basis that you don't mean."

His hands settled on your waist and he pulled you toward him. His gaze ran over your face as he studied you. "I wouldn't be flippant about anything so serious, Y/N. You must know that."

You swallowed past the lump in your throat. "Don't you think it was something we maybe should have discussed before you announced it to a bar full of random assholes?"

"Perhaps." He gave a little shrug and kissed your forehead before pushing you toward your truck. "Let's head home. We can discuss it on the way."

You turned out of the parking lot and headed toward Shreveport, quickly getting lost in your own thoughts. Mates were serious business amongst the vampires. There was a time it was strictly an otherworldly belief in soulmates. Fate bringing two people together that were created for one another. It morphed over the centuries into a choice. A declaration that you belonged to one another. It went far deeper than any marriage.

Allowances and lea ways were given for mates that would otherwise never be permitted. In fact, mates were treated as one entity. They received punishment and reward in equal measure regardless of which party was actually responsible. Your dad was going to freak the fuck out. It was that thought that stopped you. The realization that the question if you felt that way for Eric never once crossed your mind. You knew from the moment you met him that he was it for you and always would be.

Your concerns were purely disbelief that Eric could feel that deeply for you and what your father would think. The real question was, did you care?

"You're awfully quiet for someone that had so much to say," Eric said as you neared Fangtasia.

You didn't look at him as you parked near the back door and the two of you sat in silence for a long time. Finally, you spoke, but you still didn't look at him. "You've lived for a thousand years and never once tied yourself to someone. Not like this."

"Mates tend to be a once in a lifetime thing, even for the oldest amongst us." His voice was soft and you knew he was letting you talk your thoughts out. This was important. He wouldn't try to talk you into anything. He was better than that.

You shook your head. "That's not what I meant, Eric. You're not exactly the relationship type. We've had this discussion."

He hummed in agreement. "We have. If I recall correctly, I stated that was me before you."

You turned to face him. "Are you sure about this?"

"I do not question my feelings for you, Y/N, but if this is not what you want—"

You grabbed his hand and used it to pull yourself closer to him. "That's not what this is about. At all. It's just...me? I mean, are you really sure?"

In a flash, he shifted the two of you so you straddled his lap. One hand cradled the back of your neck and the other rested on your lower back. His gaze locked on yours. "There is no one else—there never has been, nor will there ever be—that I would consider making this claim with. I will live and die for you. I swear it."