Chapter 10

-Chapter 10-

Black…

Darkness…

Black…

Darkness…

Those were the things I was capable of seeing. I could lay my eyes upon nothing but dark figures. For some reason I was not able to explain, the lamps had been switched off. But that was only one of the reasons as to why I could see none other than darkness. I had been much too weary and sleep deprived as well.  I could hardly fix my focus ----let alone my gaze------ towards anything.

I stood before the building-----where it had all began. I could still remember every part of whatever had happened a few nights ago, as though it had only occurred moments ago. I should have been frightened, yes, but I was not in the slightest bit. I could feel nothing but tire, and the desire for answers.

"Drew," I managed to say, though it sounded off. I could feel a lump forming in my throat, and I quickly cleared it. "Drew," I called out once more, louder this time.

Nothing….

………….

……….

After a long time had passed, still nothing. . .

I sighed in frustration, before I said whatever it was I had wanted to say regardless of whether or not Drew had been around. At this point, I honestly no longer cared less whoever was listening. "Look, I'm tired, alright? I. . . I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do anymore. I could not sleep since the. . . incident. I haven't gotten it--I haven't gotten you! ----- out of my thoughts and neither do I have the slightest idea why!" I paused for a moment, as I searched for words to express whatever I had been feeling. "I know that I sound insane and that you probably would not even believe me---hell, I don't even know what to believe ---- but please, Drew, help me."

Silence.

Tears began to escape my eyes, for I had completely lost the hope I had held on to as I came. No longer had I any hope that I would get what I needed. But it was after all, my fault in the beginning. Whatever had I expected out of coming here? The tears turned to soft sobs and after a long moment of nothing but silence, I began to weep completely. I had never wept for anything but heartache and pain; however just this once, I had allowed myself to weep for the hurt, tire, and hopelessness I had began to feel. I felt my knees begin to give in from beneath me, and I no longer bothered to attempt holding myself up.

"Alice," a beautiful voice said without emotion. It was distinct, yet it was no louder than a whisper. "You could really be irking at times, do you know that?" I heard him mutter, though I was not sure if it had been his intention for me to have heard him.

"I. . . What?" I had not the slightest idea how to react, as I lifted my gaze towards him. And sure enough, Drew had stood before me. I was certain I had looked as though I was a dumbfounded idiot, but I could not care less.

He shook his head, before his eyes pierced into my own. "Why have you come? Have you not been frightened off enough? Have you---"

I interrupted him, before he had even asked another question. "You didn't listen to a word I just said? Drew, I am tired of being scared. I'm far too weary to even consider being afraid. I'm way past that now."

He fixed his gaze upon me for a long moment. "Is that so? Really, Alice?”

I refused to respond. I had not known how to respond, and neither was I capable of finding my voice.

“There is something you are keeping from me, Alice. Nobody --- despite how frightened---- would dare return into a place they know well enough is not a thing but danger.” His voice sounded flat---dead. Yet his eyes gave away the slightest bit of emotion that had filled him: … fright?