Chapter 9

-Chapter 9-

My head ached greatly.

Three days have passed since I had seen Drew jump of a tall building. No matter how much I had tried I still could not bring myself to believe that it had been possible for him to survive. I was certain it was impossible for it to have been but a trick and I knew for a fact that there was not a scientific explanation that I had been aware of which explained whatever he had done. I did not know whatever people would think of me if I had even dared to ask about anything similar to Drew's situation. I simply felt empty; I knew nothing but wished to know everything. A thousand questions remained lurking in my mind; a thousand questions that remained unanswered.

Who, really, was Drew? Was he the same boy who I talked to years ago? The boy who jumped off a tree? Why had Drew been called Zach when in fact, it had not been his name... Or was it? Whatever was Drew? Was he ever really normal? Why had it been possible for him to do extraordinary things yet act so... human?

Much more questions kept me awake for the longest of times; I had not slept for but a few hours. I could not bring myself to simply forget either. I have tried to create conclusions to these questions I have continued to ask myself, yet my actions resulted in vain. I had tried to research about it, as well as think logically about it yet all I had been giving myself was nothing but extremely painful headaches for the past days.

But I could not care less.

I felt lost. I no longer knew what to believe. Everything I've come to believe as logic and facts no longer existed as truths to my mind. Which of the things I had enough knowledge about were truths? And which were mere lies? Was it no longer right to simply believe facts as they were? Should I question any more than I have already?

I sighed in great frustration, as I climbed out of bed and changed. I was already running far too late for school, and I would have been lucky if I had still been able to make it to, at the very least, the end of first period. "Mom, why didn't you just wake me?" I asked with a hint of annoyance as I entered the kitchen.

My mother looked not in the very least taken aback at my question; she simply shrugged. "You were not feeling well through the weekend and I thought it would've been best to leave you to rest today."

I groaned, before grabbing an uneaten----and I assumed not quite ripe-----banana from the counter, before I pushed past her towards the door. If I was indeed going to be late today, I had better create a good enough reason.

---------------------------------------

"Ms. Denvar, why is it you've bothered to show up only at the end of my class? Would you care to explain yourself as to why you are extremely tardy?" Mrs. Devilonne demanded with great anger, her face red with frustration. Her name suited her well, if I could say so myself. That devil of a Physics teacher.

I shrugged, making my way towards an empty seat. "Fever," I replied, my voice hinting apparent boredom. I had come up with an explanation within minutes, and had done the preparations needed to prove whatever the excuse I had come up with.

"Oh?"

"Yes, I did have fever. Would you like an excuse letter?"

She nodded, her arms folded across her chest as she continued to eye me with rage. She tapped her foot with impatience as I headed towards her. There was great challenge in her posture, and it was a challenge I had been more than willing to face.

I despised the Physics teacher, and I would gladly show her that she was no better than the rest of her students. "Very well then." I handed her my very much forged excuse letter, thanking goodness that I had the skill of forging signatures. "There you go," I said, as I walked towards my seat with a triumphant smirk plastered onto my face.