Chapter 21

I know I know. I'm sorry it took this long. Travelling, blogging, and college it seems has taken up all of my time. I'm finishing this though I guarantee that. Enjoy, beautiful readers! 

xx Sandra

--------------

"Powell, where is he? You said you'd get him home. It's been too long."

I heard a grunt of annoyance on the other line. "It's not that easy, Alice. Look, I assure you he's fine. Drew can handle himself. Now bugger off."

I rubbed my temples as I began to feel exhausted, my sleeplessness already catching up with me. "Jeez, I'm sorry for worrying about the safety of my boyfriend. You're right. I should just go shopping or something," I retorted.

"God, Alice. What do you want me to say? If you wanna worry about Drew, fine. But if you keep calling like this, our cover will be blown."

I paced back and forth, restless and drained. "I know. I get that. Just, can we meet? It's not just Drew's safety I'm worried about. I'm worried about my sister too. I need to be assured of her safety."

It was silent for a moment, and finally, "God, you are fucking stubborn. But have it your way then. I'll be the one coming over there. Tonight. Don't try to look for me." 

"Okay, wait. Do you even know where I--" He'd already hung up.

I flung myself onto the bed, looking at the clock. 1:00 PM. It was far too early to wait for Powell. I pulled the sheets around me and allowed myself to doze off.

--------------------------

I was startled awake by the sound of the door opening and then closing with a loud thud. I hurried down to see who had come. It was still late in the afternoon for it to have been Powell.

"Mom?" I greeted in confusion. "You're home early."

She looked up at me, her arms full with a sleeeping Amy. "Oh hi, honey. I got off work early. The daycare called. Amy wasn't feeling well," she explained as she took Amy to her room. 

"W-what? Is she okay? I mean ..." My heart began to pound.

"Yes, don't worry. She's fine. It's just mild fever," she reassured me. 

I breathed a sigh of relief but then remembered. "Wait, are you staying home?" I asked, nervous.

"Uhm, no. I have a meeting and some errands to take care of. I shouldn't be home til late. Don't wait up. Dinner's in the fridge. Please take care of your sister while I'm gone."

Thank God. "Yeah sure mom," I replied as I went to Amy's room.

"Bye dear," she said, kissing me on the forehead before heading out again.

I looked at my sister, sleeping peacefully and flushed from fever. I realized I hadn't seen her in a long time, too preoccupied with Drew. I felt guilty then, for I had not been a sister to Amy as I should have been. I kissed her lightly on the cheek before heading back to my room.

"Alice?" Amy called soflty, moaning.

"Go back to sleep, baby. I'm right here," I said, returning to sit by her bed.

She smiled a bit, but it had been a sad one. "I miss you."

My heart broke at that. :"Oh Amy, I miss you too. I'm so sorry I haven;t been around as much."

"It's okay. I know your busy with school. Homework sucks, I know," she assured me, yawning.

"Yes, it does doesn't it? Now go to sleep, Amy. I won't leave I promise."

She seemed to be satisfied with that and went back to sleep.

--------------------------

I looked at the clock, a little past eight. Where was Powell? 

"I'm hungry, Alice."

"Of course. I'm sure you are, honey. I'll go heat some dinner, okay? Stay here," I told my sister before heading down.

I absentmindedly heated the pasta left in the fridge, my mind wandering to Drew once again. I was certain he could take care of himself but I missed him. A lot. I really wished he would come home. I was being selfish, I knew, but I needed for him to be here with me. I needed to see him physically okay and unharmed.

After I had given my sister her dinner, the doorbell rang. "I'll be right back. Stay in your room, okay?" 

Amy nodded, not even a hint of suspicion on her beautiful face.

I raced for the door and sure enough, Powell had been waiting by the front door. "Thanks for coming. Come in." I tried to look calm, as though I hadn't waited for him for hours.

Powell nodded and sat himself by the sofa. He was dressed in head-to-toe black, a hood pulled low enough to cover half of his face. "I don't have a lot of time. Gordon called for an emergency meeting," he informed me.

"Yeah, this won't take long. About my sister .... I don't know if you recall, but Gordon threatened her life if I didn't hand in Drew and I ..." I chewed on my lip, unsure how to continue.

Powell nodded once again in acknowledgement. " I know, I know. I thought about it. Neither of us want Drew in the hands of McKinley. When the time comes, you need to get Amy out of here. That's the only way you can save her."

I sucked in a breath. "What do you mean? How? What am I going to tell my parents? And if I did get her out, wouldn't Gordon just track her down. Or worse, won't he go after other people I care about?"

He ran a hand over his face. "I don't care what you tell your parents. Just make sure she's as far away from here as possible and I'll take care of Gordon. And ... don't worry about your parents. He won't go after them," he reassured me.

"What do you mean he won't go after them? How are you so sure?" I demanded, crossing my arms across my chest.

I was unsure if I had been right, but Powell looked to me as though he was nervous. "That doesn't matter. Just trust me on this," he said hurriedly in one breath.

"But--" Before I could finish his phone rang.

The blood drained out of Powell's face, before he answered his phone. "Hello," he greeted. "What did you find?" He asked, voice hushed.

He nodded furiously, beginning to pace away from the living room. "Very well. How much longer will you be away? He......" Powell's voice had already faded but before long, I realized who he was talking to.

I ran towards Powell and without hesitation, took the phone from him. "Drew. Where are you?" I demanded, "How can I help?" I added.

"What? Who's...Alice?" Drew responded with great disbelief. "How..?"

"It doesn't matter. Drew, I've been worried sick. I wish you'd called to let me know you were okay..." My heart raced and I began to feel longing like I had never before.

"Alice, listen to me. Stay out of this. You have no idea what you are getting yourself into. Please, listen--"

Powell took the phone out of my hands. "Don't worry about your girlfriend, man. Just get back here in one piece alright?" 

I trashed, attempting in vain to retrieve the phone. "Let me talk to him!"

"It's too late. She's already too involved. I'm sorry, Zach. Calm down, I --hello?" Powell looked at the phone, and sighed in frustration. He looked at me before heading for the door. "Splendid, Alice. You got him twice as worried. I have to go. Don't worry about your sister. Just remember the plan, yeah?" he said before slamming the door shut.

-------

Almost to the end!

I'd say we're five to seven chapters away from finishing. Hope you all enjoyed that short chappie!