Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter 32
Kidnapped

My head felt heavy, my eyes unable to open at first.

The senses that seemed to work first was my hearing. Although the voices were muffled slightly, as if they were standing in another room. As I regained consciousness, my hands and legs twitched, only to feel that one of my wrists were restrained together.

Panic instantly set in as I tried to force my eyes open. I shoved away the wave of grogginess that was controlling my mind and body, only to see that I was sitting on a concrete floor in a squared room. There wasn't a window in sight, nor was there any furniture, besides a used and dirty mattress in the corner. The small lamp next to it provided a dim amount of light.

My head snapped to the side as I tried to focus on what was holding my hands together. It stung against my spin, nearly cutting my blood supply. After weakly shuffling around, I realized it was a cable tie. 

The need to cry was strong, but I forced myself to calm my thoughts, trying to recall the last thing I remember. It took a few moments, but when I did, I choked on a sob.

Oliver. I'd seen him walking on the other side of the plaza. Since he was close to the liquor store, I thought I'd stop him and say hi. But he intentionally led me to the alley.

Where Aiden was waiting.

The feeling of betrayal and hatred ran through my veins, along with terror.

"You're up," a deep voice said, his voice loud in the small space.

I snapped my head, trying to follow where the voice came from. The bare room was empty, so when I looked where the single door was, my breathing halted. It was open but on the other side, there was complete darkness.

I knew then that Aiden was there. But it was confirmed a moment later when he stepped closer, until the small amount of light let me see him clearly.

A shiver ran down my arms when my eyes met his amber ones. In that moment, I wanted to curl into a ball and never leave, being struck with horror.

Aiden looked the same as he did two years ago, but... something changed. It took me a while to realize that he'd finally taken his mask off, allowing those around him to see who he really was.

His medium length dark hair was slicked back in an undercut, opening his face for me to see clearly. "Aiden," I rasped, seeing the cause of my nightmares right in front of me.

His amber eyes glistened happily, as if he was pleased with me. His coy smile made my heart sink. "Been a while, Carti."

Before I could say anything, he crossed the distance between us, and I sucked in a breath when he stopped next to my feet, bending down so he was right in front of my face. Unable to look at him, I curled my knees underneath me and lowered my eyes, focusing on my lap.

Aiden suddenly gripped my chin, and I softly cried out when his nails bit my skin. He tipped his head closer, making sure I saw his sneer before he growled, "Don't look away from me."

"Aiden, please," I choked out, a tear slipping down my cheek.

He tsked, letting go a second later before wiping my tear away. "You made me do this, Carti. This is all your fault," he stated calmly, standing once more.

I let out a shaky breath, feeling a slight amount of relief as he walked to the other side of the room. It was a few moments later before he turned back to me, eyes intense as he leaned back against the wall. "If you just stayed," he began with a chilling tone, "Nobody would have gotten hurt. And fuck, I'd at least have my money."