Chapter Six

Chapter 6
Stitch-Up

"Danny, get off him."

I kept watch for our surroundings to make sure no campus police were around. They typically stayed close by, especially around the night because it was more unsafe for people to walk around.

Still, what I said became unnoticed as Daniel continued to throw punches in Dallas' direction. He was bent on his knees, furiously attacking Dallas.

When blood started to make Dallas' face unrecognizable, I shouted, "Daniel!"

He slammed his fist on Dallas' cheek once more before pushed himself off him. His chest heaved in anger once he was on his feet. He snarled, "Stay the fuck away from her, or I swear to god, I'll kill you."

"Danny."

In a last-ditch effort to get his attention, I stepped forward and wrapped my hand around his bicep. His hazy blue-green eyes flickered to mine and slowly, I saw him regain some life back in his expression.

We focused on one another for a few seconds until I looked down to his hands, seeing them blooded and bruised. "Let's go back to my apartment, I can clean them off there," I said softly before meeting his gaze again.

His face hardened. "No."

Feeling stubborn at the moment, I narrowed my eyes. "Well, I'm cleaning this up either way so you pick—my place or yours."

His jaw clenched as he turned away from me before nodding once. "Fine. We'll go to my place."

Just as he started to walk away, I couldn't help but look at Dallas, who was now sitting up from the floor, laughing as he wiped the blood off his face with his shirt carelessly.

A few people were watching him—some of them from Daniel's class, probably.

Knowing that he wasn't in critical condition left me sighing with relief before jogging toward Daniel, who was already a few feet from me.

I hadn't bothered trying to force a conversation with him, since he seemed tense from what had happened. So I gave him a bit of time to calm down as we walked to his apartment.

A little more than ten minutes passed until we turned to a building, and I realized then that it was pretty close to the beach. He was on the same street as me, but we had a bit of a walk between both of our buildings.

The layout on the inside of the lobby was similar to my own, I realized as we walked to the elevator, where he then pressed the seventh-floor button. I tried not to dwell on the fact that I'd be going on the elevator, but I still closed my eyes and held my breath all the way up.

Within the next few minutes, we were in his apartment that he shared with a roommate. I watched as he went into the kitchen on the right, and without turning the lights on, he opened the cupboard and reached for something.

When I saw it was a bottle of vodka, I inhaled sharply, paying attention to how he cracked the lid open before taking a long gulp. After finishing, he carried the bottle with him to the living room, which was just outside the kitchen—all without taking off his shoes.

Watching him warily, I took off my shoes and hung my jacket on the coat hook next to the front door. After taking a few steps forward, I leaned against the wall next to the kitchen and tried not to pay attention to how Daniel continued drinking without a flinch. Like he was completely used to the taste.

"Why have you been distancing yourself?" I rushed out, only to notice how he froze before slowly putting the bottle on the coffee table in front of him.