Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter 28
Father Dearest?

I don't think is a good idea anymore.

That was the first thought that rang in my mind when the elevator doors parted, revealing a luxurious lobby.

The wall across from us was a white marble with a gold sign hanging above the rich, wooden secretary table. Law Group of Vancouver.

On either side of the desk, there were halls that led to what I assumed was other offices.

I took a deep breath, wanting to yell at myself for feeling so... anxious. This was just a man—in a biological sense, sure he was my father. But that didn't matter. Not right now.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting. With Ashley, I knew I wanted to meet her because she was the one most likely to give me answers, but Jasper... he didn't know anything about the pregnancy. Or my birth. There was logically no reason to see him.

But there was part of me that was... curious. This person's DNA was inside me. And I tried to contain this curiosity, but it hasn't worked.

So, here I am with Daniel, about to rip the bandage off; to a man I've never met.

Despite my thoughts sounding confident in my mind, my heart was still racing a mile a minute after every step I got closer to the secretary desk.

Next to me, I felt Daniel slithering his hand into mine before squeezing it reassuringly. "I'm here."

When I hesitantly lifted my head, I met his gaze and smiling softly. "Thanks, Danny."

The moment we stopped at the desk, the man blankly stared at us before deadpanning," Appointment?"

"Uh, is Jasper Black—"

"He's not in." The tanned secretary worker glanced at the computer in front of him and frowned. "I don't see any appointment here. Did you mix up the dates?"

My hand shook when I tugged some hair behind my ear. "I don't have an appointment. I just wanted to talk to him."

When the man tilted his chin, I could see he was done with the conversation. He gave me a dry stare. "Mr. Black is a busy man, ma'am." His lips pulled into a tight, but unfriendly smile. "Next time, make an appointment."

"Please," I nearly begged. "Can you just tell me when he'll be in? It's important."

Probably realizing there was more to my visit, his eyes flickered with curiosity before his expression sobered once more. But just as his lips parted to speak, the elevator rang behind me. The employee glanced over my shoulder and straightened, and I frowned when I saw him looking almost... nervous.

"It's your lucky day then," he mumbled only for me to hear before smiling brightly. "Hi, Mr. Black. How was your meeting?"

There was a rich click of a feet falling on the sleek floors. "Good," a deep, masculine voice said, sounding bored.

I froze, unable to turn around and face the man who was potentially my birth father. Mr. Black. He called the man Mr. Black.

The man in front of me cleared his throat. "Well, this young lady has been asking for you. Do you think you can spare a mom—"

"I'm busy," he stated coolly, not letting the man finish the sentence. "Have her make an appointment with you if she wants to talk to me."

For some reason, the realization that he wasn't talking to me when I was quite literally in front of him, made me angry. I hadn't stopped to grasp that I spun around until I was blurting, "Or you can talk to me directly, since I'm right here."