Chapter Seven

Chapter 7
Introductions

I was sitting outside Dr. Kimberly Arbus' office, squeezing my thumb painfully with my other thumb and index finger when my phone rang. Pulling it out, I saw Jade's name displayed on my screen, and I sighed with relief as I answered the call, grateful for the distraction.

"I'm nervous," I said right when I answered the call. "Really nervous, Jay. I don't know what to even talk about."

Although she wasn't in front of me, I know she'd be wearing her supportive smile. "Everything will be alright, Cart. Trust me. Just talk about what you always talk about," she said in a soothing tone. "Let me know how it goes, okay?"

I nodded and peered down the hall, where several doors were. One of them opened suddenly, and I watched as Dr. Arbus stepped down the hall, watching me calmly.

"Yeah," I rasped, my throat suddenly dry. "She's waiting for me. I need to go."

"Okay. And don't worry! Everything will be okay. Let me know when your appointment finishes though, okay?"

Once I agreed with her demands, I hung up. With shaky legs, I forced myself onto my feet and walked towards Dr. Arbus—who watched me the same way she always did; patient and watchful.

She smiled politely when our eyes met. "It's nice to see you, Carter. It's been so long."

One year. It's been one year. "It's nice to see you, too." Before I could talk myself out of it, I laughed nervously before admitting, "But I honestly wished I never needed to come here again."

With a sympathetic smile painted on her lips, she cocked her head. "I understand why you might feel that way, but this is a safe space, Carter. I'm just here to listen."

I knew therapy wasn't a bad thing, and yet, the thought of telling someone my thoughts and feelings scared me. That level of honesty was something that terrified me.

Dr. Arbus must have read that from my expression because all she did was soften her expression. "Let's go into my office. Catch up."

Catch up. The phrase made me suck in my stomach before I reluctantly followed her into the office. Even though I stiffly moved to the car across from me, the moment I sat down, we did what she said. We... caught up. On everything that wasn't related to my nightmares.

During our one-hour appointment, Dr. Arbus wanted to catch up on what she's missed in the last year. She targeted questions toward my school and home life before asking about my friends.

I knew then that she didn't want to rush me, which I appreciated. She let me talk freely, but in occasion, however, she wrote things down, making me slightly anxious.

Jade: Me. You. Hockey game. Tomorrow.

That was the first message that greeted me once I pulled out my phone. I couldn't help but smile, despite being mentally drained from my two, back-to-back, biology courses. The message was also sent just minutes ago, making me smile wider because she must have remembered that I finished my last Thursday class at three-fifteen.

Carter: I thought that was next week.

Jade: Shockingly, you're wrong. But I love you anyways. Anyway, we have to go. I want to look at cute boys.

Her statement didn't surprise me. Jade was boy crazy, but she was also extremely avoidant of relationships. She makes flirting her past-time, but the moment the guy becomes too interested, she pulls back. That being said, I never had a problem with her talking to guys—unless we were going out, just the two of us. Whenever we did go out, I'd just awkwardly stand on the side while she flirted, but I never wanted to say anything; I didn't want to ruin her flow.