σ и є

ραят σиє

B a m b i

5 years later

"Your brother is the hottest thing since sliced bread," Emory said as she swooned over my baby brother as he walked into the lunch room. Even after living in the same village as half of the football team (which they were all hot by the way) she still found a way to only see my 14 year old brother.

"Please stop talking about how much you like my kid brother, I'm trying to eat," frowning, as I took a vicious bite of my stale peanut butter sandwich. "You're 16, he's 14, at least wait until his balls drop."

"That's so vulgar, even for you."

I simply shrugged my shoulders and continued eating.

"Hello ladies," Araj waved as he walked over and sat down. He was from the city, where most people from this school were from. Only about 6% of the students here were from our small isolated village in the forests of Greenwood, but we aren't allowed to talk about it with anyone who isn't from our little town.

"Where have you been? She's been talking about Vincent all day," I sighed heavily, looking at my hopeless friend.

"She's still crushing on Vinny? But he's a freshman," he laughed, patting Em's back as he sat next to her.

Just as he sat down, the star quarterback -Neil Dumphy- walked through the cafeteria doors, drawing the attention of every female, including me.

"Now that's an attractive man," I smirked, taking in all of his glory. He was 5'10 (which was 7 inches taller than me) with wavy brown hair, and a killer smile sure to make any girl's knees weaken. His shoulder's were broad, calf muscles were lean, and he was a strong as a young bronco that even the most modest of girls would want to ride.

"Gross Bambi, you know you said that out loud right?" Araj cringed, turning away from me. I simply did my signature shoulder shrug and ate my lunch.

"And what kind of name is 'Neil Dumphy'? Do his parents hate him?" Emory giggled as she watched him high five his jock friends.

"So you guys coming out to my lacrosse game tonight?" Araj asked, a huge smile on his face. Emory's eyes widened slightly as she focused her attention on me. Brian, my uncle, was one of the elders of our village. He's always told the people that the, "... damned beasts and supernats come out at night, the most vulnerable time of day for humans." None of the women (grown up or not) or boys under the age of 13 were allowed outside after dark out of fear of them being attacked. I was told from the tender age of 12 years old and up that if I ever went outside by myself after dark that I'd be grounded for the rest of my life.

"I really wish we could Araj, but you know how overprotective my uncle is, he'd never let me go," I pouted, genuinely upset. He has begged us to show up at one game, ONE game ever since freshman year.

"But I made Varsity this year, you have to come," he stuck out his bottom lip, making his eyes glossy as if he were about to cry.

"Don't cry you big baby," I tried to grin and make him smile, but he was weakening me. Araj wasn't known to be sensitive, but Emory and I were his only friends and I feel like he has never had anyone to celebrate his LAX victories with.

"I'll see what I can do."

ωΨωΨωΨωΨωΨω

"Your guardian said no too huh?" I groaned into my walky talkie. Uncle Brian wouldn't let me have a cell phone, he claimed that enemies he had made in the past could track us down through them. So we all had walky talkies, but I only had a select few I bought myself because I didn't want everyone hearing my private conversations on their channels.

Presently, I was sitting on my bed in a pair of jean shorts and a white tank top munching on Doritos.

"Yeah, but you of all people should have known that your uncle of all people wasn't going to let you go," she sighed as I heard shuffling in the back ground.

"Ugh, I hate these rules sometimes."

"I know right, this is bullshit. I'll talk to you tomorrow Em. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I turned off my walky talkie and laid down on my top bunk, staring at my painted ceiling. Small stars glittered across the navy blue backdrop with small flowers and water droplets everywhere. Large baby blue swirls of wind pushed the stars and flowers to dance in different directions than the rest, and that's what I loved most about it. I was the only person who could re-create what I had seen, and it took me two years to finish it completely. The design may sound random, but I thought it was beautiful. It was a vision I saw often in my dreams, and I felt drawn to it. It reminded me of when my family would go camping outside of our home town. I would lay in the grass with dad, identifying all of the constellations while my brothers ate their own body weight in smores and candy with my mother. Those stars always seemed to shine the brightest when my father and I watched them, as if they wanted to put on a show for us.

I climbed off of the top bunk carefully, trying not to make any loud noises as I walked over to my bedroom window and pushed it open slowly. I carefully lifted myself onto the sill of the window and maneuvered my way to the roof. I came up here often when I thought about my parents, my favorite blanket already situated in my favorite spot. I sat down softly on the Toy Story themed blanket and laid down on it so I could watch the stars. You could always see them best out here since we lived in the middle of no where.

"The stars sure do look extra bright tonight," I jumped, looking over to see that Vincent had followed me up here.

"Yeah, they sure do," I smiled, putting both of my arms behind my head. I heard some shuffling and felt him lay next to me on the Buzz Lightyear portion of the blanket.

"So is this family hour or what?" we both looked over to see a smirking Fletcher crawling over to us and sitting down by our feet.

"Nice of you to join us big brother," Vinny said sarcastically as he scooted in closer to me. We sat in a comfortable silence, gazing at either the stars, or enjoying each other's company.

"So I was listening to some of the girls from our village talking earlier today, and apparently our uncle's a DILF," Fletcher chuckled. He had already graduated high school and was taking online classes. He works in the infirmary, where most of the women socialize so he hears about everything, and I do mean everything.

"Why can't I go out at night? I've never seen these so called beasts," I caught myself asking, the words spilling out of my mouth before I could question them.

"I've never seen them either to be honest, but I do know that Vinny and I have training in the morning in hand to hand combat," Fletcher spoke as he stood up, motioning for Vinn to follow.

"I'll see you in the morning Bambi," he smiled as they went back into the house and to their rooms.

Why was Uncle Brian so afraid of the dark? We've never had any encounters with anything that wasn't human since the night my parents died. Why the hell do I have to be locked up and isolated from the world?

Fuck it, I'm going to this lacrosse game whether Brian likes it or not, because I am Bambi Callista Falcone dammit.