Prologue

This is my second story, I hope it ends up being more successful than my first. If it doesn't, oh well. I'll update whenever I can and I'm currently looking for an editor. Thanks for reading!

B r i a n

I was seated in my living room, sprawled out on the couch with my niece and nephews resting in their sleeping bags in front of the television. One of my nephews (Fletcher) had chosen his favorite movie (Finding Nemo) to watch and it had just ended and the little rascals were fast asleep. I looked over at Fletcher, his mouth hung open with drool slowly dripping from the corner of his lips. I chuckled to myself as I looked over at Bambi. Her wild curls were completely covering her pillow, creating the look of a dark brown/curly halo. She was the calmest out of the three of them, but at the same time, the most ill-tempered. Then my eyes flicked over to little Vinny, who's thumb was securely tucked into his mouth as he snored lightly.

I carefully maneuvered myself off of the couch so my sudden movements wouldn't wake them. I tip-toed out of the living room area and made my way to my office. As I walked there, I stopped and looked at the family pictures we had hanging on the walls.

There was a picture of me and my fraternal twin brother Giovanni hugging each other tightly by the old oak tree we used to have in our backyard when we were kids. I took a few more steps and saw the picture of Gio and his then girlfriend and now wife Reginam. Our parents weren't thrilled at first when he brought home a black woman and introduced her as his girlfriend. They actually kicked him out, claiming that dating her would degrade the family name. See, our family comes from a long line of Italian mobsters that predates all the way to the first Pope. In order to merge families and make the mob even stronger, they wanted Gio to marry a woman named Silas Marcello, who's father was senator of our state. When Gio refused, claiming that she was an egotistical bitch, they told him to never come back. When he left, they turned to me to marry her, but at the time, I was already in a relationship. Plus, I didn't want any part of our crooked family's business. My father Vincent was called when someone needed to be "taken care of" and he got paid a great deal of money for it. My mother ran the books, made sure everyone who made bets on the horses and whatnot paid the money they owed or received the money they had won. They were old school Italian, which meant they weren't the biggest fans of anyone who wasn't.

Gio still kept in touch after all of that, and as time passed, my parents wanted to see him and started to not give a shit about whether or not his girlfriend was Italian. But it would be years before he physically returned, and when he did, he was different.

I'll never forget the day he came back, September 17, 1992. I had just come back home after being at the gym for hours, father told me he wanted me to go with him on his next job so I could take my place as the new Falcone muscle. When I walked into the house, all I could heard was yelling and screaming so I kicked the door down and rushed to where the noises were coming from. When I walked inside, I saw my mother sitting on the couch, crying her eyes out and my dad sniffling too. I then walked into the kitchen and saw Gio. He was grinning widely as he opened up his arms, gesturing me to hug him. Of course I hugged my twin, keeping my tears at bay as I relished his presence.

"How have you been Brian? Haven't seen you since '87," he spoke casually, placing his hands in his pockets.

"I've been great man. What about you?" I asked him, smiling like a fool at my brother.

"That's actually why I'm here, and why mom is crying," he was still grinning while I raised an eyebrow at him, not knowing what he was talking about. He turned around and tilted his head towards me in a fast movement and I saw a beautiful woman come out from the shadows, her head down as she reached and took Gio's hand.

"This is my wife Reginam," he looked at her and his eyes lit up even more, staring longingly into her eyes.

I soaked up her beauty like a sponge. She was truly gorgeous. Her dark chocolate skin shined and her high cheek bones defined her face even more, her almond eyes were breathtakingly beyond comprehension. She was hourglass shaped, the slight curves of her hips barely noticeable through the sundress she was wearing, but I could still tell. I must have been staring for too long because I heard an inhuman growl come from Gio and it snapped me back to reality.

"Keep your eyes off of what is mine brother," he barked, eyes turning black. My eyes widened in fear as I took a couple of steps back. He started coming towards me until Reginam grabbed his arm and put her hands on either side of his face, forcing him to look at her. She said something in a hushed tone, caressing his cheek until I could see he visibly calmed down.

"Sorry Brian, just, don't look at Reginam like that okay?" he frowned, but never looked away from his wife.

"Sure.. man," I spoke, putting my hands up in surrender. Then, the most melodic voice filled the atmosphere.

"Have you seen our son?" she smiled at me, and I could hear a bit of an accent in her voice.

"Son?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. She grinned and looked back at my mother and father as they now sat together on the beige loveseat. I looked back at her, then Gio, and walked towards my parents, now taking notice the small bundle of a blanket in their arms. I approached them, taking the blanket from their hands and looking into the eyes of an infant boy.

"Lui è bello (he is beautiful)," my mother cried, her emotions getting the best of her as she cried again.

"Our first grandchild Liliana, and he's just as beautiful as his mother." my father spoke in his baretone voice.

Reginam walked in, hand-in-hand with Giovanni as they smiled at one another.

"Oh il mio bambino (my child), I am truly sorry for judging you before we met you. You could be Aphrodite herself, you are the definition of beauty," my mother sobbed as she stood up and hugged Reginam. Reginam simply smiled as she hugged my emotional mother and told her that it was okay.

Gio and Reginam moved back to our home town, and visited our house often. In '95, they had Bambi, and in '97, they had Vincent II. In that span of 5 years I had moved out of my parents home, and took over my father's job.

And now, Reginam and Gio are out on their usual date night and it was my turn to babysit. God help the soul who looks at Reginam the wrong way. Gio has literally almost killed me just for giving his wife a hug. He gets into this roaring fit and repeats "mine" over and over until Reginam can get him to calm down. He's incredibly possessive over her, but I can tell she loves him just as passionately as he loves her.

I continued down the hallway, spotting various photos of our family all together. As I made it to my office, I wondered about what made Gio act that way. He never acted like that with his other girlfriends, why Reginam? The ringing of a telephone brought me back to my senses. I snatched the phone off of the hook, hoping that it's loud bell didn't wake the kids.

"Hello?" I spoke quietly into the phone.

"Yes are you Brian Falcone?" the woman on the other end asked me.

"Um, yeah. Who is this?" I replied to her.

"This is Dr. Tricia Gamble. I work with the police department and we need you to identify what we believe to be your brother's body at the police station."