Chapter 27

America POV:
I inhaled again, breathing in the scent of all the flowers mixing together. I could never get sick of this scent. I didn't realize I wasn't alone until a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist. Easily doing so without any gown getting in the way.
"Are you ready my dear?" Maxon whispers in a husky voice.
"Yes I am." I twist around to face him. Placing my hands on his shoulders. He leans down so our lips meet. The kiss is sweet and quick.
"Cough, cough." Kriss says awkwardly. I push away from Maxon, using my hands on his chest. "Um hello Kriss." I say recovering.
"Can I speak to you? Alone," She says her eyes flicking between Maxon and I.
"Uh yes, of course." He says and leaves. Seeming eager to do so. I look at his back until he's out of view. Then I turn my attention to the roses beside me. Trying to seem relaxed. I'm definitely not. I haven't spoken to Kriss since I went to apologize to her last week. Not even when she took the pills did I go. I've done everything I can to avoid her. Seeing as the palace is very large, it was very easy.
"I think it's time we talk, civilized." I wanted to make a remark on how I tried but she flipped out. But I restrained, knowing it would end bad.
"I agree." We stood facing each other. Close enough so we could talk at a normal volume, but there was a clear distance.
"You took my husband," I wanted to roll my eyes at her starting the conversation with that comment, but I knew she was right.
"That hurt me, America."
"I'm sorry that was never my intention."
"I know it wasn't but it doesn't change the fact." I nodded.
"I never thought you would do that to me. Especially behind my back, in my own home. Well ex home now." I didn't know what to say. I just let her talk.
"So although I had every right to do so, I'm sorry I reacted that way."
Now that was a surprise. Kriss was apologizing to me. Me. After I called her a bitch to her face. I feel even more guilty. But I also had a right to react that way. I thought about our conversation. And the selection. Memories of how mad and jealous she mad me, made all the guilt fly away.
"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't of behaved that way."
"Yeah you shouldn't have. But I don't want to hate you America."
I wasn't sure exactly why, but those words were a huge relief. She didn't hate me.
"Neither do I." Kriss smiled a sad smile.
"I'm still hurt though. Just looking at you hurts. Knowing you'll be in his arms the way I never was. Maxon will love you like he never loved me." I knew that feeling. It took me to depression. I knew what a Kriss was going through.
"Kriss, I know what that's like. Trust me. But you'll find someone."
"I hope. I'll be leaving tonight, after the report, I just can't be here. I can't fully forgive you, just yet. I need time. I just wanted to apologize for my actions, and for lying. I didn't want to leave with bad blood hanging between us."
"I glad."
"Goodbye America." Kriss said with a small smile. Tears glistening in her eyes.
"Goodbye Kriss." I said with a smile similar to hers. We didn't hug, or shake hands or anything. She gracefully walked back inside.
I stood by myself staring blankly at my surroundings. Playing the the rips in my jeans. After a moment I regained myself and began walking back to my room. I tried to make sense of what the hell just happened in the last 20 minutes. My brief moment with Maxon, and my talk with Kriss. The exact opposite of my last interaction with her. The fact she doesn't hate me makes me much more relaxed. If the girl who I know fell in love with Maxon, can forgive me after this, so will the country.
Before I knew it I was in front of my door. I guess being at the palace for one short week was all I needed to know my way again. I walked in and let my maids do whatever they wanted to me. My mind was strangely blank. I wasn't sure if it was the shook that this is finally happening. I felt my hair being pulled back, the laces in my dress being tied, my makeup being applied but I couldn't focus. I finally returned to my senses when I heard someone say 'you're done miss.'
I looked regal. As if I was born a royal. The outfit was strategic. It made my look like a queen, like Amberly. "Wow." I said. No amount of words could describe how beautiful it was. The dress was a deep blue with silver details. The skirt sparkled like a million sapphires. "What did you do? Sew glitter to the fabric?"
Mary laughed. "Kind of." My hair was in a low side bun with a silver pin. My makeup was light, yet on my eye was solid black winged eyeliner. Traced with a dark blue glitter. "We needed to make sure all of Illea could see that you are meant at for this."
My eyes felt teary as I smiled. "Thank you. For everything."
"It's always been our pleasure. Since you first arrived for the selection." I gave them each a hug before I left for the studio. I nodded a guards as I passed by. When I walked in I saw Amberly and Clarkson talking by the thrones. Still there's only 4 thrones. I searched for Maxon. I found him talking to Kriss. I watched their conversation for a moment. I couldn't figure out what they were saying. After a moment Maxon noticed me and excused himself. Making his way over to me. "Hello dear."
"Don't even start." I warned. He chuckled. "Um so what was Kriss saying?"
"Actually, I was reminding her to be civil with whatever she said in her speech."
"Oh right. That's smart."
"I know. So we'll open the report with a few updates on the country then I'll step forward. I'll give my speech and that's when you'll walk up. Don't worry the crew will help. You'll stand by me while I finish. Then Kriss will give her speech and we will stand behind her. Then father will explain the changes. And boom, it's done."
"I hope it goes by that fast. Smoothly." I gave Maxon a nervous smile.
"It will." He said grabbing my hands. He leaned in, close to face. He gave me a kiss then went to my ear.
"You look fantastic." I blushed as he joined his father.
I figured I should go talk to Amberly. Both she and Kriss sat on their thrones. Kriss didn't look at me. I made small talk with Amberly until I was called by the crew. I gave her a little curtsy which she dismissed smiling and left. I stood of the side of the stage band out of camera. I felt shaky. It felt like this was happening too fast. But it wasn't. It was hell for months before this. Saying goodbye to my career, to my music, to my performing , is definitely the hardest part. Although I was in a terrible place while I did it, I loved it. Every time I was on stage, writing a song, or recording a song I got lost in the music. And I know my fans will be disappointed. I'll make sure that every person that bought a ticket for my upcoming concert, which won't be happening, gets a refund. As well as mercy signed by me. And if I'm aloud, I'll make a lottery using the people who bought a ticket, and fly the winners to the palace for a ball. I'm just hoping my fans will understand.
I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to a woman wearing a headset and carrying a clipboard.
"Miss you'll be on soon, so be ready. I'll let you know when."
"Okay. Thanks." I stood straighter and focused on what was happening. Gravil introduction Maxon saying he has an important news. Maxon walked over. He was handed a microphone as soon as he was close enough.
"My dear people, as you all know my selection ended a few months ago. I'm currently married to Princess Kriss. At the time I felt that I'd made the right decision. Yet I couldn't get a certain girl out of my head. Recently we got in contact. I realized I love her, I always have. Many of you pulled for her. And continued to even after she lost. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Lady America."
I didn't need any indication. I walked up and joined him. He smiled when he saw me and I did too. I stood beside him and he continued.
"Love is very powerful. I want to rule with the person I love. I will be ending my marriage with Princess Kriss and begging a life with Lady America. As I said I know many of you wanted her to win, and may be one of her many fans. So I hope you will support me and be happy." I Maxon stood a step back. As did I. He snaked his arm around my waist. Like I'm his prize. Kriss then stood and walked up to make her speech. I noticed there was no crown or tiara on her head.
"Good Evening Illea. As Prince Maxon just said, soon we will be separated. I am happy for the future royal couple. Maxon and I always had more of a friendship and I will cherish that. I think Lady America will be a wonderful princess and queen. I have no remorse towards them and I hope you can all say the same." Kriss stepped back and It was my turn. I took a small step forward, Maxon at my side.
"To my many fans, thank you for everything you have given me. My time as a performer is something I will forever love. You've always supported my actions, and I hope you understand this one as well. I love Maxon Schreave, and becoming a princess is something I will put hard work into. My goal is to continue to improve Illéa as our great king has managed to do." Gravil then steps back on stage, says a few things, wishes us well, and ends the report.
It's done. The whole world knows now. I feel relieved, but the 'what if' creeps into me. Suddenly the lights get brighter and hurts my head. Dizziness hits me quickly and I hold on to the strong arms beside me. Shutting my eyes tight.

A/N ~  I hope you joyed today's chapter! I'm so sorry It's taken me almost a full month to post, I had a little writters block with this chapter. I know how I want it end so I don't know why putting it into words was hard. Comment your favorite part!! 1891 words!!!!
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋
Ps - thank you for 10k views!! It truly means a lot.