Chapter 20

(Saturday)
America POV:
When I woke up this morning my head hurt like hell. I don't remember anything after I took my first drink. At least I was sane enough to not go wild in the palace and put myself to bed. I need to learn to control myself, last night could of ended badly. I still can't get what Clarkson said out of my head. How did he know all that. Why would he bring this up, especially Zach.
"Ouch!" I said as the flower Ann pins in my hair stabs me.
"Sorry my lady" I sigh while they step back admiring their work. I fan out my dress, looking at myself in the mirror. I find no faults, obviously. I'm in a beautiful red day dress that fits right above my knee, cherry red heels and natural makeup.
"I'm not your lady" I say and turn searching for my phone. "Alright" They say in a questioning tone.  I find my phone and put it in my dress pocket.

"By the way, where is Lucy I haven't seen her at all since I got here" Mary and Ann exchange nervous glances

Mary and Ann exchange nervous glances.
"Um she uh left"
"————— isn't feeling well" I arch my eyebrow.
"Did she leave or is she not feeling well"
Ann looks at her watch and pull my to the door. "Look at the time your going to be late, we'll talk later!"
"No I wan-"
"See you later" She says right when slamming the door in my face. What are they hiding from me? I sigh and make my way down stairs dreadfully. If breakfast is anything like last nights dinner I want no part in it. As I walk down the halls past maids and guards they all bow to me. I don't like it, I'm not a 'lady' or part of the royal family so there is no need for that. Sure I might of been part of the selection and gotten to the final two but at the end of it all I didn't win. And I think dressing like part of the royal family doesn't help. I get to the dining room and it's completely empty. I check the time and it's barely 7:28 am and breakfast doesn't start till 8 am. Ugh all because Ann shoved me out the door. What are they hiding?
I decide to go to the kitchen and see what they're are making for breakfast instead of going back upstairs. While I walk closer to the door I can start to smell the sweet scent of whatever they're cooking. I swing the doors open and step inside. The click of my heels makes the cooks all turn to look at me.
"Hello your maj- my lady"
I can feel a blush creeping into my face, not sure why though.
"No none of that please, America is fine"
"Alright, can we help with anything America" The head chef says.
"Well I just came to see what you're all making for breakfast, I hope I'm not a bother"
"No not at all, we are mostly waiting for some foods to cool so things are going slow"
"Oh okay"
"Please take a seat"
I smile and pull a stool at a tall counter next to a cook that seems close to my age. She has brown hair and light honey eyes.
"Hi I'm Mykalia"
"Nice to meet you, I'm America" She smiles and I do too.
"I know, I love your music and I was training here when you were in the selection"
When she brought up the selection my smile slightly faltered. I couldn't help it.
"Oh that's nice"
"Yeah, I love your dress"
"Thank you I do too, although I don't think I should be dressing like this"
"What do you mean"
"Well I'm not a part of the royal family and I'm not a lady, it's a little inappropriate"
"Well I think you look great in it, the dress makes your hair stand out even more"
"Thank you, really everything does since it's red or auburn"
Mykalia laughs a little.
"That's very true, can't think of a color that won't make it stand out"
"Right, I've thought about dying it black"
"Oh no it's so pretty"
"I know it is I just think red to to vibrate for me though"
"Oh"
"I'd love to have hair like yours actually"
"Really? I think it's generic I can't think of a more basic hair color"
"You might have some truth to that but it's pretty"
"Well thanks, it's my genetics" I laugh and she joins me.
"How old are you by the way"
"18"
"So we're the same age"
"Yes we are, quite an interesting stage of life"
"It really is" I say with a smile.
"So many things going on with everything"
"There really are, so do you have anything interesting happening"
"Not really, well except for this cute guard that works mainly at the gardens"
"Ooooo tell me about him"
"Well he's tall with dirty blond hair and hazel eyes, he's so sweet and genuine, not only that but he's funny and a great talker"
"He sounds like a nice guy you should-"
"Your majesty" Someone calls cutting me off, my head rapidly turns in that direction and my chair spins.
"Good morning" Maxon says kindly. I feel my face getting red. I turn back to Mykalia and she gives me a knowing look. Is it that obvious? I ignore that look. "As I was saying, I think you should definitely keep talking to him, do you think he likes you back?" Before she can say anything Maxon speaks.
"Lady America what are you doing here?"
"I came down for breakfast without checking the time so I came to the kitchen"
"Why didn't you just go back upstairs"
I stand crossing my arms.
"Oh well I didn't know I wasn't aloud in here, sorry your majesty" Fake sweetness dripping my voice. I make my way out and stop where he stands by a counter. His eyes are soft and sweet but my blood is still on fire because of that remark.
"I didn't mean-"
"And don't call me 'lady' again" When I walk past him I hear glass shatter. I twist back around and see glass by Maxon's feet along with water. The cooks immediately gather around to help clean up. I must of knocked it down when I aggressively walked by.
"Oh my I'm so sorry" I say while I help clean up the glass.
"It's fine, but you shouldn't be picking up glass you could cut yourself" Maxon says and I look up at him, noticing water spilt all over him. My face gets even redder as his white shirt becomes see through. I continue picking up glass when a piece slips and cuts the palm of my hand. I drop it as soon as the pain shoots up my body. "Owwwwww" I shut my mouth to avoid all the curse words I have in my head strung together from coming out. I shake my hand as if that'll do anything other than make blood drip out.
Maxon grabs my waist and helps me stand up. I feel my eyes watering but I'm not going to cry. "Here let me take you to the hospital wing"
"I'm fine"
"No your not, please clean this up carefully"
"Of course your majesty"
We walk out of the kitchen and go up the stairs. "I don't want to do to the hospital wing"
"Why not?"
"I just don't want to, hospitals make my nervous"
"It's nothing to be afraid of"
"I don't like them, please"
"Okay lets go to my room, I have bandages and pain killers in there"
"Okay"
"And I think I'm good with injuries" He says trying to be funny. Make light of something dark.
"Right"
When we get to his room I take a seat in his couch while he goes and gets the supplies. I rest my hand on my lap remembering what happened last time I was in here. I turn to look at the collage of pictures where it started, and see a blank wall. A frown tugs at my face to see no pictures. I sense Maxon sit next to me. I turn to look at him and he stares at the blank wall too. "I took it down, it made me sad I had lost hope, and I sensed Kriss didn't love it"
"Oh"
He puts my hand on his lap and starts fixing my hand. I tighten my jaw and close my eyes when the rubbing alcohol touches my flesh. "Sorry, I know it stings"
"It's okay don't worry"
"Sorry about my father last night, I don't know why he acted like that"
"It's fine it didn't affect me"
"So when things don't affect you, you decide you go drink until you black out"
"How did you-"
"I was the one who put you in bed"
"Did I leave my room?!"
"No, I went to your room"
"Ohh"
"...Do you have a plan?" He sighs.
"Not one written in stone but I'll figure one out in time"
"Okay, that's all I needed to hear"
He starts wrapping my hand with gauge, so gently. He wraps in around my hand a few times before tying it in place. "All done"
"Thank you" I say softly stretching my hand.
"Oh America I have a question,"
"Yeah what is it"
Maxon grabs both of my wrist and looks me in the eyes.
"Why do you have so many scars on your wrist, don't deny them Ive seen them clearly"
"Well I was in an accident where-"
"Please don't lie I would of know if you had in accident"
"Okay fine, I cut myself with a blade"
"Why"
"Because of all the pain I was in at the time"
"Because of me"
"No it's not your fault"
"Yes it is I hurt you"
"So did I"
Neither of us says anything. We sit in silence for a moment. Then he grins,
"Remember what we did last time we where in here" I laugh and throw a pillow at him causing him to laugh. "Don't be dirty" I say and stand.
"Well I'm not lying am I?"
"No not technically, come on we'll be late for breakfast"
"Okay lets go"
We walk to the door and I start to turn the door knob when he pulls me for an embrace. Before we head to an uneventful breakfast. Our lips dancing in sync together. In stolen moments like this it's like playing with fire. Until we have this figured we hide, which only makes it more exciting.

A/N ~ I'm sorry I haven't uploaded, I don't have much of an excuse other than I haven't had much time and when I did I didn't have inspiration and I didn't want to put out a crappy chapter, I hope you liked this, comment your favorite part, and what you think will happen next. 1851 words!!!!
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋
Ps ~ thank you so much for 4K views!!