Chapter 22

Maxon POV:
The guard opens the doors and I step inside. The first thing I see is father standing, starting at someone. I walk in further and see America. Looking extremely uncomfortable and a little scared. Not to mention how red her face is.
"Maxon?!" She says sounding surprised.
"America? What are you doing here?" I say with a questioning tone.
"Well your-"
"I wanted to bring you both here, so we can talk properly" Father rudely interrupted.
"Okay about what exactly?" I ask looking over at America who seems to already know.
"You two getting married and how we can do that" I was in shock. I looked over at America asking with my eyes if she told him. She gave me a slight shake of her head telling me she didn't. I turned back to father wanting to know how he knew.
"I know your wondering how I know about you two, so I'll tell you. I noticed from the very beginning you weren't happy with Kriss, and neither were the people. They wanted America and so did you. Then America shows up at the palace with Celeste and I notice your looks and interactions. I also noticed your plans, while trying to not upset me."
So father knew all along. But still he hates America why would he want to help.
"Okay so you know. Why would you want America on the thrown when I know you don't like her."
"It's quite simple, the people love her. She's a precious celebrity and that would benefit the monarchy. And you marrying her out of 'love' looks good for us. Besides Kriss is an awful princess and I doubt she could be any worse than Kriss"
I didn't know what to say. I never expected anything like this from father. And I thought he liked Kriss. He wanted me to chose her.
"So you'll help us?"
"Yes I will, I already have a plan."
"Okay, I'm still quite shocked you're okay with this."
"A king can always change his mind. I can see you want to be together and this comes with many benefits. Not just for the present but the future."
"The future? Your recognizing she'll be good with the economy and the people?" Father chuckled. I started at him confused, I looked over at America and she was even redder. She knows what he means and I have a feeling I won't like it.
"No not that, she's a 5 so her genes will be good with heirs" That was definitely not what I expected to hear.
"I told him that it's not guaranteed, we know that" America said oddly calm.
"That's true" I agreed.
"I know, but like I said closer than Kriss." Then father turned to me.
"Because I think out of all these months you've been married, you only spend the night together once?"
I knew my face was red but I didn't drop my eyes. I gave him one firm nod. I didn't look at America, I didn't want to see her reaction to this. No wonder she looked so uncomfortable and scared when I walked in. I know she had probably assumed that we'd done it but I just confirmed it.
"But with America you did it multiple times during the selection"
This time I did turn to America. I knew my face was bright red and so was hers. America knew what I was asking. "No I didn't tell him, I don't know how he knows."
I could hear how uncomfortable she was from her voice.
"Oh please you really didn't know my trusted guards reported what they heard to me?"
"Of course they did" I said. Why didn't I think about this earlier. I told mother myself but father has guards. I didn't really want to talk about my sex life with father so I cleared my throat and changed the subject.
"Okay so what do you plan to do about this" America looked relieved as well.
"Well we really just need to get rid of Kriss,"
"Your not going to hurt her right?" America said concerned.
"No, unless she doesn't cooperate with us."
"Can I talk to her about it?"
"Yeah sure I'd not really care as long as she does what is told. Anyways we'll announce the news on the report, Maxon you'll explain why you want to marry America. Kriss will resign willingly, she can give a speech if she wants. We'll explain what changes are going to happen. The people will be happy then you'll get married and have a coronation."
It took my a second to realize that father really was going to do this.
"Okay that's perfect."
"I know."
"Can I go now?" America said.
"Yes you both can." Father said and walked back to his desk. I turned to America and she was already walking out. I walked out after her. She's a couple inches shorter than me so I caught up quickly. We walked along side each other in silence for a few moments. We turned the corner, when we were out of the guards view she turned to me.
"Maxon, do you think Clarkson will follow through with this?"
"Yes because it's beneficial to him"
"Okay" She said and released a breath.
"What was he saying to you before I got there?"
"The same thing that he told you, he just hit really close to me and shad that's it was a shame I didn't get pregnant then touched my abdomen" How dare father make her uncomfortable and touch her. Anger flowed through me and I balled my fist.
"I'm sorry"
"It's okay, I'm fine"
I pulled her in for a hug wanting to comfort her. I wrapped my arms tightly around her and rested my chin on her head. She laid on me and held onto me by gripping my shirt. I could feel her warm breath on my chest. That alone made me feel better. "I love you" I said almost inaudible. She looked up at me and smiled. "I love you too"
I cupped one side of her face and pulled her in for a kiss. Our lips meet and I could feel her smile behind the kiss. Her hand made its way to the back of my neck and she pulled me in deeper. We held on to each other and everything felt okay.
"Maxon!!"
America pulled herself away quickly and I let go of her. I looked up and saw Kriss with tears streaming down her face. "Kriss I-"
"How dare you! I invited her here for the ball and not even 48 hours later she gets here you have your tongue down her throat!!"
"Let me explain," I looked at America and she looked completely flushed from the kiss, I'm sure I look same. "America and I-"
"Shut up Maxon!" She yelled in between sobes. Before I could say anything she turned to America.
"You were my friend! You were supposed to give him up after you lost!! I open you the doors to my house and you thank me by making out with my husband! Don't think you can do whatever you want because your a celebrity because guess what, I'm a princess!"
America put her hand on Kriss shoulder.
"Kriss I'm so sorr-" She threw her hand off her shoulder and slapped her. I quickly went in between them. America put her hand over her reddening cheek.
"No sorry doesn't count! After everything that happened I fell in love with Maxon and I won the selection you didn't!"
"I need to explain what happened that night to you"
Kriss cried even more. Her makeup streaming down her face.
"Maxon that's not fair, you chose me, ME! Not America so why are you doing this to me!" Kriss yelled in face and wiped her tears with her sleeve.
"I know I did"
"Kriss let us explain" America interjected.
"Shut up whore!" Kriss yelled and hit her again. I grabbed her arms and pinned them behind her back. "Don't touch her again." I told her. She just cried even more.
"But why, why would you chose me then do this to me?!"
"Guards!!" I yelled.
"Maxon answer me!! Do you love me? Please tell me this wasn't all a lie, please" She begged. "We'll talk when your calm."
The guards came running at my orders. "Please take Princess Kriss to her room and make sure she's okay"
"Yes sir" They grab Kriss and carry her away.
"Maxon!!"
She kicked and screamed over and over again. I turned to America and she had a few scratches from her. I held my arm out for her.
"Come on lets go to the hospital wing"
"I don't think that's necessary"
"I want to make sure" She gave me a weak smile and looped her arm through mine. 

A/N ~  I hope you liked this chapter filled with drama, comment your favorite part, and what you think will happen next. 1515 words!!!! Also should I start doing question of the day?
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋