Epilogue

America POV:
"It looks great!" I said surveying the room. Queen Amberly said it was time for me to move into the princess suite. After all, it had been 2 months since the announcement on the Report. Anne, Mary, and Lucy did an amazing job decorating it to my style. Maxon even gifted me a beautiful white grand piano to put in here.
Since Lucy is roughly a month away from her due date, I thought it would be best for her to rest. And take time off. Lucy was reluctant but both Aspen and Maxon agreed.
I was glad when she finally agreed. Besides I'll be fine with Anne and Mary by my side. Today I've spend all day with them. We've gossiped about guards and maids. Which was very entertaining. Needless to say, I now know a lot more about our staff. We even ate breakfast together in this suit.
"We thought we'd like it!" Mary said excited.
"And I do. Very much." I said.
"Oh!" Anne said remembering something. "Maxon got you a surprise gift."
I lifted an eyebrow suspiciously. "Another one?"
"Yes miss." Mary added.
"He already got me the piano though." I said glancing around the room.
"We know. Follow me miss." I hesitated but followed her anyway. Anne walked to my closet which had the door closed. Without opening the door she turned around and looked at me straight in the eyes.
"We haven't shown you the closet yet. That's because Maxon wanted this to be a surprise."
"Is it a room full of gowns?" I said with a joking tone.
"Yes. But that's not the surprise." Anne said.
"Okay. Did Maxon want you to show me, whatever this is, without him present?" I asked. "He did." Mary said.
"Alright" I said. "So what is it?" Mary circled around me to stand besides Anne.
"Behold miss." Anne and Mary each opened a door very dramatically. I stepped inside. I have never seen such a large closet. I was in awe. It seemed there were gowns at every corner. "This isn't it miss." Mary commented very causally.
"What??" I asked genuinely confused.
"Yes the closet is very big but this isn't the surprise." Mary said again.
"Here." Mary said. She walked to a wall and moved the gowns to reveal a metal wall with a lock in the middle. Even the metal looked elegant. It was a shiny white metal. I had never seen anything like it before.
"His majesty said to give you this." Anne said handing me a small envelope. I basically ripped it open. A folded small piece of paper was inside. When I unfolded it there was very little written on it. 'Passcode: 1225'. Was all it said. I entered the numbers into the lock. It popped open, so I unhooked the lock and handed it to Anne.
My jaw dropped as soon as I opened the metal door. I could hear sighs and giggles coming from Anne and Mary. Every wall was lined with glass shelves. The shelf to my left, which covered a whole wall, was filled with tiaras. Every shape, size and color. They shimmered like a million stars in the night sky.
I walked closer and let my hand hover over them. They were too beautiful to touch. I noticed another envelope sitting next to a tiara with my name on it. I carefully opened it. I'm not sure why I felt a bundle of nerves.
"My dear America, how I love spoiling you.
Since very soon you are to be a Princess I thought it would be appropriate for you to have these. Pretty tiaras to sit on your pretty head. And although these are made from real diamonds, gold, silver, emerald, etc, their value doesn't compare to the person who shall be wearing them. You. I will only be accepting one form of thanks, kisses. - Maxon"
I knew my face was flushed, and I couldn't care less. How could I end up with such a perfect guy. "These are gorgeous miss!" Mary shrieked.
"Mary, relax, we've already seen them." Anne said. I laughed at the interaction. I opened my mouth to speak but the words died in my throat when I heard someone burst into my room, screaming my name.
"America! America! America! America!!" We rushed out of the closet into the main area of my room. Standing at the door was a very out of breath Marlee.
"What's wrong?!" I asked as I felt my stomach knotting within it's self.
"It's an emergency!" Marlee yelled running towards me. My heart dropped. She reached me in seconds. She grabbed my wrist and we rushed to the door. I moved with her without looking back. "What is it!?" I asked as we ran out the door.
"Hurry!" Was her reply.
"What happened?!" I heard myself scream.
"Just move!" She said.
"What's wrong!!" I screamed even louder this time. I was sure the entire palace could hear us. But I don't care. I need answers. Now and fast.
"It's Maxon!" Marlee screamed back. My steps faltered a little. My throat went dry.
"Is he okay?!" Was all I could mange to say.
"You'll see for yourself in a moment." She said picking up the pace.
"I'm asking you now! What happened!!" I yelled.
"There's been an accident!!" She screamed. The world went blurry. My stomach ached, and the feeling to throw up consumed me. Every bad scenario played in my head. I was surprised my feet continued to move.
"Where!" I asked on the verge of a breakdown.
"We're headed there now." She said.
"Please Marlee!" I begged feeling my knees getting weaker with every step I took. Marlee sighed. "In the gardens. Look you—"
As soon as the words left her mouth I dropped her hand and took off. I raced through the halls and down the stairs at a dangerous speed. I could hear Marlee telling me to slow down. Instead I gripped my gown tighter. Today of all the days Anne thought I should wear a full length gown all day. In general I was more dressed up today. I wanted to rip off every unnecessary accessory and toss my heels. But that would only slow me down. When I reached the staircase I flew down them. Skipping steps, trying eagerly to get to those glass doors as soon as possible. I needed to see him. See what's wrong. As I got closer I noticed there were no guards at the doors.
Quickly, I reached the door. Since it was already open I ran outside. My steps slowed as I took in all the reporters. Most pointing the camera to me. I stopped walking completely, trying to catch my breath as I took in the scene.
That's when I noticed the rose petals laying on the floor in front of me. I  straightened my back and continued walking. Confused, I decided to follow the path. I turned a corner and that's when I saw him, standing at the end of it all.
He stood in between two beautifully decorated trees. Fairy lights strung above our heads. Rose petals everywhere. Musicians were lined around. It was beautiful. As if I were in a dream. I walked closer to him noticing a smirk on his face.
I knew I was still being filmed but I didn't care.
"I thought that-" I started to say. The words started to die of as I fully processed what was happening. At least what I was guessing at.
"I know, I asked Marlee to bring you here." He said. I smiled not saying anything. Just taking in this moment. He took a deep breath and walked closer to me. I looked up at him, feeling my heart beating faster with every pasting moment. He intertwined my hands with his. I hardly noticed all the people around us. My attention was all towards Maxon. Head tilted up, eyes locked on honey orbes.
"America, from the moment I met you in these gardens I knew you were special. Looking back at it now, it was love at first sight. I've always loved everything about you, your fiery personality, and your softness. I made the mistake to let you go. That was the dumbest thing I've ever done. I know you see an almost king here but let me make one thing clear, this is a request. A plea. I beg you, make me the happiest man alive. Please do me the honor of becoming my wife."
As he spoke those last few words he slowly got down in one knee. He opened the little black box he was holding revealing a beautiful ring sitting inside. Our birthstones, intertwined in a gold band. It was gorgeous, elegant.
"Yes." I extended my hand to him. He slipped the ring on my left hand. He stood and kissed me. I held onto his neck as he dipped me. I could hear and feel the camera flashes but I didn't care. Besides I would have to get used to this.
Maxon pulled away so our faces were millimeters apart.
"A million times yes." I whispered. He smiled against my lips. He let go of me a turned to grab a bottle of champagne. A maid rushed over with 2 glasses. He shook the bottle and popped it open. The foam rolled over on his hand and he laughed it off.
A pair of hands grabbed me by my shoulders. I turned to see a radiating queen. She pulled me into a hug and squeezed. I happily returned the action.
Beside her was Clarkson. He wore a smile, which normally I would think of as completely fake. But something told me there was some genuine happiness in it. Maybe not a lot but some. He could just be happy that he got what he wanted, a queen the people loved. But it was something.
Clarkson embraced me as well, although much more stiff.
I turned to see Maxon pouring Celeste, Marlee, and Carter a glass of champagne. I walked closer to him, and extended my glass to him. He filled it nearly to the top. Then did the same with his.
"I've invited your family to join us tonight to celebrate." He said just so I could hear. Although the cameras were mainly paneling on everyone else pouring champagne.
"Bold of you to assume I would say yes." I said as a smirk appeared on my lips.
"Very. I like to live dangerously." I laughed and reached for his hand. He gladly took it.
Maxon cleared his throat bringing the attention back to us. Everyone turned.
"Here's to the soon to be, Princess Schreave!" He said, raising his glass in the air. Everyone echoed raising their glass. We all downed our glass in one go. Maxon used my waist to pull me closer to him.
I leaned into his ear again. Even though our whispers weren't for the press, I'm sure they loved it.
"What should I call you now?" I asked.
"I'm afraid your royal husbandness is required by law." He answered. I laughed resting my head on his shoulder.