Chapter 21

(Saturday afternoon)
America POV:
I feel much more comfortable in my clothes. After breakfast I told Kriss I would be wearing my normal clothes and explained why. My main reason was that I felt more like myself like this which is true. She didn't protest. I put on a blue cropped top, black leggings, blue vans, and my hair in a half up half down.

Clarkson thankfully wasn't at breakfast

Kriss had to go to a meeting, and I couldn't locate Celeste. She was probably off hooking up with a guard. My maids are doing I don't know what so I went for a walk around the palace by myself. After walking through the 3rd and 2nd floor I stopped at one of the libraries looking for nothing in particular. I looked for a book then settled into a giant bean bag to read. 
A book about a world with games where two people get chosen from each province, a girl and a guy. You basically fight till the death during the games. It's messed up. The girl chosen is poor, he father died, and she has a sister that reminds me of May. She clearly has two love interests. One she grew up with as friends, she doesn't like him but he likes her. The other one is the guy that also got picked. She doesn't like him at first. Mhmm what does this remind me of? Right. My life! The guys appearance even remind me of Aspen and Maxon.
As I'm reading the part where they're getting interviewed I hear someone walk into the library. "I just feel bad that I haven't even said hi to her"
I jump out of the bean bag and hide behind a book self.
"She'd be so upset, you know that" An all too familiar voice said.
"Maybe but you know America is a good person, she'll understand"
I held my breath, wanting to know what my former maid and ex boyfriend were hiding from me.
"She would be jealous"
"I don't think so she loves or loved Maxon, she was even engaged, if the engagement had gone through she could very well be in this situation"
"Did she ever stop loving me though, i'm not trying to be weird about it, I'm just trying to prepare you for what could happen"
How dare Aspen say that!? I stopped loving him during the Selection in a romantic way. Besides I already knew about him and Lucy and I was supportive and happy for them. This is so unfair. I have to say something. There's no way I'm going to let him keep going on and on about this I'll find out what they're hiding either way. I stepped out of my hiding stop, making sure to make noise so they saw me. They both stop talking in unison and turn to look at me. I could hear Lucy's gasp. "Excuse me Aspen?"
"Let me explain we-"
"How dare you guess at my feelings?! Any romantic feelings I had for you left during the selection so don't go around saying I still like you"
"Your right I'm sorry, Lucy and I-" Ignoring him and turned to Lucy. She also has explaining to do.
"And Lucy why have you been avoiding me? I've known about you and Aspen since.." My voice and eyes faltered at the same time. I caught a look at Lucy. She wasn't wearing a normal maid uniform, it was loose and flowy. Before I asked why, the lump in her belly told me. When I looked back up Lucy looked at me guiltfully. "You're..."
"Pregnant? Yes." She said like she would break down any second.
"This is what we were hiding from you" Aspen said and I turned back to face him.
"I see, why would I be jealous?"
"Because your love is married, you and your fiancé split up, and I know you've always wanted kids"
"So? I'd still be happy there was really no reason to hide it"
"Because right now you have nothing, no one-" That was it. I slapped him. His words were cut off by my hand slamming into his face. I was furious. He backed up a little and massaged his face with his hands. Lucy reached over to him.
"Asshole."
I grabbed my book and left. Tears stinging in my eyes and my hand burning as if I'd touched fire. I left the library and heard the door slam shut. I felt so betrayed by Aspen; the fact he said all those things, how could he?
As I paced up the stairs I calmed down a little. I tried to relax.
Lucy is going to be a mom. Aspen is going to be a dad. Wow. It seems that it was years ago when I wanted to be the one carrying his child. That was only last year.
It didn't hurt like I would of expected, not at all. I don't love him. I'm happy for them. Even if Aspen is an asshole that Im pissed at right now.
I was about to turn into my wing when I heard my name being called.
"America, wait" Hearing my name in that voice gave me chills. I stopped walking and slowly turned around not wanting to be him. "Hello Clarkson"
"That's a nice outfit you have there" I narrowed my eyes at him. I know he doesn't like my outfit. "Um, Thanks" He quickly closed the distance and walked over.
"We need to talk" My blood went cold.
"About what..?"
"Just come with me" Without a response he grabs my wrist and drags me down the hall.
If I hadn't been wearing vans I would of fallen by now. We rush through the halls in silence. My wrist starts to ache as we round the corner that leads into his office. We stop at the door, he gives a nod and they open the doors. Clarkson pulls me into the office and I caught the concerned look on the guards faces. When the doors shut he lets me go. "Sit" I take the seat across his at the desk.
"I would like to have a little chat with you, alone"
"I see that, about what exactly?"
"The relationship you have with my son" My blood went cold. The king hates me.
"What relationship?" He laughed deeply. Almost frightening.
"Don't act like you don't know, I'm not stupid"
"I didn't say that"
"I know, now I can see you clearly still have feeling for eachother,"
I wanted to protest, deny it. But I didn't know how. No words came out of my mouth.
"I also know Maxon wants to find a way for you to be together again"
"What makes you think that"
"I have my ways America but that's not the point," He stood and began pacing around me. "He wants to marry you, fix his mistake of marrying Kriss"
"Mistake? Don't you like her?" He laughed.
"No of course not. That girl is useless and stupid all she does is plan parties. She's weighing us down and therefore the country as a whole. And let's be honest the people don't like her, they wanted you"
"What are you saying"
"Must I explain everything? I think you should marry Maxon and become queen" My jaw dropped. Is this really happening?
"You, want me, to become queen!? Why?"
He stopped pacing and kneeled next to me. He was so close I could feel his breath on my shoulder and cheek. It made me uncomfortable.
"It's simple really, the people like you. Your a precious celebrity and that would benefit the monarchy. Also Maxon marrying you out of 'love' looks good for us and the concept of the selection. Besides I doubt you could be any worse than Kriss"
I was speechless and shocked.
"Of course some thing like your, clothing choices could be better"
"So you actually want to put a crown on my head, are you sure?"
"Positive. You and Maxon clearly want to be together and I can help you. I know Maxon has been struggling with his plan or whatever, trying to not upset me, but this is a great idea. And with your 5 genes you'll be good with heirs"
I raised my eyebrows at him. Questioning his choices.
"That's not guaranteed you know that"
"Yes I do, but definitely closer than Kriss. I think out of all these months they've been married, they spend the night together once? Maybe twice,"
My stomach rolled and the thought of them together disgusted me. He got closer, if that was even possible and dropped his voice to a whisper.
"And I know you've done it multiple times during the selection" He said while he put his hand in my waist and abdomen. "Too bad an heir wasn't conceived then"
I stood up rapidly getting out of his reach. He stood too but didn't take any steps. I know he's trying to pressure me into this. Mainly be manipulating me. As if he needs to force me to marry Maxon. But regardless he took that too far.
"Sorry, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable"
"Um it's alright"
A knock went off at the door and a guard cracked the door open. "He's here"
"Let him in" Clarkson ordered.
The doors open wide and Maxon walked in. Surprised to see me here.

A/N ~ I hope you liked this, comment your favorite part, and what you think will happen next. 1590 words!!!!
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋