Chapter Twelve

I awoke on the couch, Thor no where in sight. A yawn escaped my lips as I sat up slowly, my mind blank.  I rubbed my bony wrists across my eyes, blinking a few times. I slowly (and not to mention clumsily) got up from the couch, nearly falling as I tripped on my own two feet. Why do Midgardians awaken so early? Once I got to the hall, I realized the door was open to my bedroom and a stream of light was coming from it. I furrowed my brows, making my way down the hall to my room. 

  There on the edge of my bed sat Thor, a book in his hand as he sat with interest. "What are you doing?" I asked quietly but cautiously. His head jerked up and his face was blank for a moment while he tried to register what he'd say. "I uhm-" He held out my book. My eyes widened a bit but I tried to hide my embarrassment. "You left this in the living room and I was going to put it back here." He said, awkwardly setting it on the night stand. 

 "How much of it did you read?" I asked, walking a bit closer. He shrugged, "I really wasn't reading it, I was just kind of-" He rubbed the back of his neck the way he always did when he was nervous. "Scanning through." I squinted my eyes at him and he chuckled. "Oh, come on, Loki. It's not like you have a diary I just read through." He got up off the bed, slinging an arm around me as he made his way out. I didn't shrug his arm off, only pushed the situation aside for maybe another awkward conversation later. I could see right through his lies, I knew he had read more than he said he did.  

   I sat at the window seat of the hall's tall glass window, reading my book. 

   It was after  our last meal of the day, I had stowed myself away in my chambers for a good nights rest. A knock upon my door came, "Whom?" I asked, the door creaking open just a bit, piercing green eyes showing through. "What is wrong brother?" He said nothing, entering my room. He walked to my bed, struggled to climb on top, crawled towards me, kissed me on the forehead and simply said. "I love you." Before scurrying off to his own room before he was found out of his chambers past his bed time. First on the lips, then on the forehead? I chuckled, He must have gotten everything  a bit mixed up. I sat there for a mome- 

  I glanced aside for a moment, noticing Thor was standing in the entrance of the living room, peering at me from down the hall. I sighed, "You know, you're an awful liar." I said casually, glancing back at my book before marking it, closing it shut. Thor looked at me questionably as I set my book aside, propping my knees up to my chest. "You obviously know enough about the book to know what it's about." I said, watching Thor fail at making a confused face. "Loki, I told you I only-" I shook my head accusingly, causing him to stop. 

   "You're acting odd, Thor. I really don't care if you read it, it's just a book." I lied, shrugging my shoulders as I took it in my hands, standing up from my position. I walked past him, feeling a hand gingerly grab my shoulder. "Loki." He said, turning me around to face him. "I know that book means a lot to you..." He seemed to be troubled at finding the right words. "It seems to resemble...Well- Us." He said, gesturing to him and I. I let out a fake, dry laugh. "What on Midgard makes you think such a thing? Thor, it's really just a bo-" He took it from my hands, flipping through some pages. 

 His eyes scanned the page and he presented it to me. 

  "Brother-" The younger child stood in anger, fists curled. "No! I always kiss you and you don't kiss back! I always hug you and you only nod your head! You never show love to me!" The older was stuck in through for a moment, trying to find a good reply that wouldn't hurt his beloved brother. "I think you have the different standards of love confused." He started, but the youngest only shook his head as a young child would in protest. 

  "Kisses on the forehead are for family, one's on the lips are for people you love love! I know everything about love, brother!" He pouted, crossing his arms. The older gave his youngest a confused look, knitting his brows. "Then why do you kiss me on the lips then on the forehead?" He asked, sitting down to pat the space next to him. The youngest hesitantly sat beside his older, "Because I love you like family and-" He hesitated, looking down before looking back up. "And I love love you." He said, his cheeks getting rosy. 

  I couldn't hide the look I had, closing the book. "Well, I-" I couldn't think of a word to stretch my lie. Thor crossed his arms, giving me a knowing look. "Just a book, Loki?" He asked, seeming to come closer. "Why do you care?" I asked, stepping back as he approached closer. "What things happen in that...book?" He asked, a look in his eyes telling me what way this was turning. My face grew hot and rosy. "You read it enough, you should know. You know enough to tell me." I said, looking around sheepishly as Thor closed in on me, his palms pressed on the wall on either side of me. 

     "Why tell you when I can show you?" He said knowingly, pressing a kiss to my neck. I let out a soft sigh, leaning my back against the wall. "I don't think I'm that far into the story yet.." I said, feeling Thor's beard bristle against my neck. "It won't hurt to read ahead." He said, biting down on my neck as I let out a soft moan.