Chapter Twenty

NOTE: Not going to lie, I cried while writing this. So, let this be a warning for emotional trauma. [Also: You should search the lyrics 'Hold On Till' May by PTV. In all honesty, that song reminds me of exactly Thor and Loki's relationship.] So, without any further interruption, enjoy the chapter!

   I strode into the gardens, the cool night air licking at my exposed skin. The stars seemed brighter than I had remembered. The garden smelled of fresh dirt and newly planted flowers, the scent I longed for back in that retched planet. I walked along the stone path, kicking aside rocks and fallen leaves as I marched. Once I got to the spot I have claimed my own, I sat down among the tree's that hid me away the many times I needed them to. This was where I went when I wanted to get away, needed fresh air. The only true place I could be without disturbance. 

     I picked at the blades of grass around me, trying to figure a plan to get to Thor. But every time I tried, I'd only get lost in the thoughts of him, Thor. 

      I scowled now, puffs of white clouds flowing form my lips in the cold night air. I pulled my knees up closer to my chest, growing impatient with myself. Why was this so difficult? 

      I let in a deep breath, closing my eyes. I just need to calm myself. But my mind just wouldn't cooperate, and I picked up on all the sounds around me. Cricket's chirping, the wind ruffling the trees, the sound of swamp life far in the distance from the pond there. It was rather cold for a summer's night on Asgard, and it would take a while to get used to the weather hear apposed to the kind back on Midgard. Despite this rather chilled night, it was perfect. I felt my eyes grow heavy with awaiting sleep, body slumping as I lay against the tree. 

       But sleep did not accompany me, rather the sound of feet rustling clumsily along the path. "Loki?" 

       Thor. 

        The feeling of sleep misted away and left behind anger. I stayed silent in the shadows, a hint of Thor behind the entangled branches. "Loki, why did you leave the feast?"  He asked as though he were talking to my face. There was a silence, the sound of gravel being kicked as Thor sat among a stone bench. "Come on, brother. I know you're out there." I didn't know whether to come out to him now, tell him that everything back in Midgard was a lie. Or to play along and manipulate Thor the way I had planned. 

       Thor began humming, something he knew bothered me since we were children. I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath to calm myself. But his humming only grew louder, and before I could tell myself not to, I burst through the tree's. He stopped his humming, casually looking over to me. He knew I would show myself eventually. "Why did you leave?" He asked, voice concerned as soon as he saw the venom I held in my eyes. "It's not as though anyone would miss me." I spat, Thor's face filling with confusion and shock. 

          "Loki-What happened? You were fine just before th-" I forced a bitter laugh that caused him to wince. "Oh, I pity you, brother. How gullible and innocent you are. How blind." Thor stood now, towering over me, but I did not move. "What are you saying?" He asked, intensity in his eyes. "You're too easy." I said with a laugh. "You honestly thought all of that in Midgard was real?" I said, forcing a smile. But it was. 

      "You cannot tell me that it wasn't." Thor said, fear clear in his tone. I smiled, shaking my head. "But it wasn't, dearest brother." I saw something in his eyes as he started grinding his teeth, "Loki, stop this." He commanded, but I only laughed more. "You're foolish, Thor. You're blinded by such sentiment. It turns you soft, then what do you have in the end? A broken heart? Pain. You bring this onto yourself." I spat, venom in my tone. I could feel my chest tighten in pain, and I knew I didn't want to do this. For once I was truly realizing it all, I was unbinding the mask I had made for myself.