Chapter eleven

ALISSA GREEN

Chapter 11

“You lied to me?” Caleb said as I collapsed on the floor.

“Ali…what is happening here?” Mom said as she held me firmly.

I did not answer…we fell silent; all I can hear are the sobs that I have produced. A minute or so has passed and I, somehow calmed down.

“Now tell us what happened Alissa.” Dad said firmly. He never called me Alissa except when he was serious.

I looked down on the floor and told them everything from the start. I saw Caleb as he clenched his fist. My mom silently cried.

“You had a baby…and it’s from this man who is now your teacher?” Dad raised his voice and tried to calm himself down. “And you didn’t even know him back then?”

“I’m sorry…if I could just turn back time then I would have chosen to be more mature and not fall into the childish pride of mine and I wouldn’t get pregnant at the age of fifteen and never got Aqua…” I said without stopping as tears fall down from my cheeks. “but I did all of it…I already did and suffered the consequences and still suffering…”

My dad’s expression softens and he hugged me. “I know…I know…” he patted my head.

“I’m sorry dad…for everything.” I said.

Dad turned to Caleb. “As what I can see…you didn’t know any of this?”

Caleb didn’t look at dad. “With all due respect sir, can I speak to your daughter alone?” He said and in a serious manner.

“Yes you may.” Dad said after looking at mom and they left, leaving me and Caleb alone.

Silence filled the air. I decided to break the silence but Caleb spoke.

“First of all, you are the one who ran away and lied to me…” he turned towards me. “… but why does it feels like it was all my fault?”

I swallowed a lump feeling guilty. “I didn’t know what to do back then… I was young, innocent and stupid.”

He snorted. “Yeah right. You were stupid and you still are. I can understand why you ran back then but when we met again, why didn’t you tell me everything?”

“And what, what will happen when I told about Aqua? You already have your own life and I have already moved on. And you think having a baby with your student will be a good thing?”

He didn’t say anything he might have realized that what I said was right.

“But still… finding out this way is not good either.”

“I was never planning on telling you.” I said truthfully.

He jerked his head towards me. “What?!”

“I meant it.” I said sternly.

“Wait…now that I can think straight…did Rob know about this?”

“He only knows that she was my baby but that’s all. I told him not tell you because you are my teacher and he respected my decision.”

He shook his head. “This is unbelievable!” He stood up. I was surprised by his sudden action. I never saw this side of him. “I’m so mad right now that I don’t even know what to do.”

We kept silent for a while when the nurses told us that we can enter Aqua’s room. We were all there and we were all awkward. I sat beside her bed, mom was on the other side. Caleb is at far corner but I can clearly see that he was restless.