XVI. RUINED

16 Ruined

Glancing on the rearview mirror of his car, the best description of himself he could come up with was shit! He looked like shit! His eyes were tired red for having no sleep since last night and his hair was quite unruly from the countless frustrated runs of his fingers over it. The bruises on his face didn't help him look any better but he had no regrets getting those because that fucker, Korbin, had his fists coming for kissing his wife. Anger still washed over his bloodstream when the memories flashed in his head. He hopped out of the car, slamming the door shut with displeasure after the last thought he had in his mind. He was knackered from everything that happened last night yet his mind wouldn't leave him to rest that every step he took was filled with eagerness as he walked to their ancestral manor to confront his mother; to find answers.

"Hala, Sir!" gulat na sambit ni Catherine nang makita siya. "Sir, ano hong nangyari sa inyo?!"

She was asking about his face but he couldn't be assed to explain shit about that right now.

"Where's Mum?" he inquired, not stopping his steps on his way to the dining room where he expected he'd find his mother because it was time for breakfast.

"Wala ho si Ma'am Dolores."

He immediately halted his steps and with a deadly glare, turned to Catherine. "Nasa'n siya?"

"Nagpunta ho sila sa Palawan last week nila Sir Pablo at Ma'am Stacey. Pero ngayong araw din daw sila uuwi. Hindi lang po nabanggit kung ano'ng oras pero baka mayamaya lang po dumating na rin sila."

He cursed audibly and frustratedly rubbed a palm on his face. Doon lang niya naalala na niyaya siya ng ina noong nakaraang linggo na sumama sa outing ng mga ita na tinanggihan niya dahil mas gusto niyang paglaanan ng oras ang pagsasama nila ni Kristina.

"Sir..." nagdadalawang isip na untag sa kanya ni Catherine. "May problema ho ba?"

Hindi siya sumagot. Wala sa plano niya ang magsayang ng oras sa paghihintay sa kanyang ina. He pivoted to a different direction and brisked walked to the surveillance room, leaving their curious maid behind.

There were two men in blue uniform stationed in the room to monitor the activities in the cameras. They politely greeted him, the other even offered him a cup of coffee which he just instantly dismissed.

"I want the footages from ten years ago, August 21st."

"Ten years ago, Sir?" ulit ng isa sa mga lalaki. "Nako, Sir, baka mahirapan kaming hanapin 'yon—"

"I don't care! Do everything you can. I want them in less than thiry minutes!" he demanded with authority.

Nagkumahog na ang dalawang lalaki para hanapin ang lumang files na hinihingi niya.

His phone buzzed. It was a call from the head of security guards he sent to put an eye on his wife.

"Sir, may mga bisita ho si Ma'am Kristina. 'Yung isa ho ay na-identify namin na si Korbin King. Bata ho 'yung isang kasama."

His stomach churned with tension and anticipation. "Is the child's name Klaus?"

"Hindi ho namin nakuha 'yung pangalan ng bata pero napicturan ho namin. We're sending the pictures, Sir."

His heart dropped when he saw the photos of Klaus walking with Korbin to Blake's front door.

"That's my son! Keep an eye on them and tell me ASAP if there's anything you could gather about him. At gawin niyo ang kabilin-bilinan ko. Don't let my wife leave that place!"

"Yes, Sir."

Catherine entered the surveillance room with a nervous small smile.

"Sir André, ayos lang po ba kayo?"