XI. SWEET SERIAL LIAR (3/6)

"We need to have a serious talk again after this," he said in a throaty low voice that was just good enough for them to hear.

She rolled her eyes.

"André," called Samuel. "Dito ka na lang matulog. Tutal simula naman ng dumating si Kristina rito sa Pinas, eh, sayo na tumira. Pagbigyan mo na kami. Mukhang magkasing katawan naman kayo ni Malcolm. Papahiramin ka na lang niya ng pang tulog."

"Sure, Sir. But no need for his clothes. I have spare in the car."

"Good, Hijo. Malinis na 'yung dating kwarto ni Kristina. Doon kayo matutulog."

Kristina took a sip from her glass of orange juice and grinned after putting it down. "Be honest with me, were you actually planning on sleeping here?"

"I wasn't. I just always have spare clothes in my car. I went honest with you so it'll be your turn later."

"That sounds like a threat."

"I don't make threats, Darling. I make things happen when I say it will."

"Kristina," Amelia unintentionally cut in. "Korbin said he'll be returning here in the Philippines in a few days or in a few weeks. I wonder what plans do you have for Klaus?"

"What?" More than the mention of Klaus in the presence of André, she was more bothered that Korbin was leaving Russia without telling her.

"That's what he told me last night. Hindi pa ba niya nasabi sayo?"

"No, he hasn't yet, Mama."

Naging makahulugan ang tingin sa kanya ng ina. Malamang ay dahil inaalala nito ang apo. "Pag-usapan niyo nang mabuti 'yan."

"Da, Mama."

She could feel André's gaze getting thicker and heavier with curiosity. Surely, he wanted to ask a lot. She sarcastically smiled at him as if she was relishing some secret knowledge she would never tell.

She just ended a phone call with Korbin when she heard footsteps coming behind her.

She looked over her shoulder and saw her father walking on the mowed grass, making his way to reach her under the sheltered area of their garden. As she waited for him, she took time to appreciate her surroundings. Her old home was in its most beautiful form tonight. Every window of their Victorian style house gleamed and the lamp posts outside where she was bravely fought against the darkness, showering all spaces they stood on with a clean white light. This place was her home for many years until that incident with André happened and she had to migrate back to Russia for quietude. She sighed as she drank in the whole view before her. She missed this place.

"How was your call with Korbin?" her father asked, sitting on the vintage garden chair beside her.

The wind blew cold. She grabbed the tail of her blown hair and placed it on one shoulder then crossed her arms around her chest to keep warm.

"He said he will bring Klaus with him. I don't know what his other plans are but I'm against them already. He mentioned that he's already rolling dices to make it okay for Klaus to skip school for as long as they wish, but that's just wrong and unfair."

Her father nodded. Laughed. "Klaus was never an ordinary kid. He's an Ivanov, a family member of a Russian mafia. Plus, since Korbin has taken him as his own son, he's also a King. An adopted son of someone who runs a worldwide scale criminal organization. And let's not disregard that he is also a Decena. A secret heir to that durak you married."

"And how is that relevant to what I was saying?"

"I was trying to say that it is expected of him to not live a normal life like other children. He has his own unique benefits and disadvantages because his parents aren't just ordinary people. Kung magagawan naman ng paraan ni Korbin na maging ayos lang ang pag-aabsent ni Klaus, edi, hayaan mo."

She raised a suspecting brow. "You're tolerating this because you want to see your grandson."

Her father raised both hands as if he was caught by the police, though she knew her father would never raise his hands to surrender in defeat to any man in uniform.

"Of course, I do," he smirked. "I miss him and I want to spend time with him. Don't you?"

"No words can fully define how much I want to be with him, Papa. The only reason why I left him is because I want to help you-our family. I would really, really, really love to see him soon." A sharp rush of annoyance struck her nerves when she remembered that André was the main reason why she couldn't be with her son right now. "This is all André's fault! I guess it's okay if Korbin can do something about Klaus' future absences in his school, but I don't want André finding out about Klaus, Papa."

Her father seemed confused. "Do you really have no intentions of telling him?"

Shaking her head, she turned away, stood up from her seat and pretended to scope the plants and flowers that grew around them. Her parents loved gardening. Together, they have grown every beautiful and healthy plant in their home. She loved gardening as well. The gardening just didn't love her back. Disgustingly enough, she had a similar situation of loving and being not loved back with André.

"Nope. Never," she answered. "He doesn't deserve to know Klaus."

A long sigh from his father was heard. She still refused to look at him.

"It's not too late yet, Kristina. Bata pa kayo noon. Iba ang situwasyon niyo noon. Now, it's completely different. You two are both adults who can fend for themselves, might I add, you two are already married to each other. I don't see what could go wrong if you introduce him to his child."