VIII. WAY AROUND (1/2)

8 Way Around

He wasn't expecting to see his mother very soon. Hindi niya inakala na uuwi ito sa Pilipinas galing California dahil lang nabalitaan nitong nagpakasal na siya. Babatiin pa lang niya dapat ito nang nanguna na itong magsalita.

"Pinakasalan mo talaga ang babaeng 'to? Are you out of your mind?!"

He wasn't expecting that kind of greeting either. He pursed his lips, forcing himself not to be annoyed with his mother. "Yes, I did. She's the only woman I ever wanted to marry."

"What's this all about, André?" Dolores inquired with a visible indication of anger and disgust. "Ang daming ibang babae r'yan! Women who are better! Prettier, and smarter!"

"Don't insult her," he griped.

"I heard from your Dad that you bought most of their properties and that you were even on the process of putting her parents to jail! Then suddenly you decided to marry her?! What is happening, André? Nilandi ka ba ng babaeng 'yan-"

"Mom, stop."

"-para mabawi ang mga ari-arian nila at para huwag mo na rin gantihan ang mga magulang niya sa kung ano mang kasalanang ginawa nila sa 'yo?!"

"I said stop! You obviously don't know anything!"

"Don't you dare use that tone on me!"

"Then stop using that tone on me, too! Stop saying mean words about her because you're not only insulting her but you're insulting me too!"

His mother stopped for a moment.

"I am old enough to pick the person I wanna marry," he continued. "I can think for myself. If you came back here out of concern, then thank you but I'm fine. You have nothing to worry about. There's no need for you to disrespect her."

"I have every reason to be worried because you married that woman, André. Trust me, peperahan ka lang ng babaeng 'yan!"

Kristina angrily removed his arm that was draped on her shoulder. "Oh, you think so? Don't you think it's too unfair for me for you to paint me to the likes of you who can only spend their husband's money because they have nothing to call their own?"

"How dare you speak to me that way!"

Kristina smacked her hand hard on Dolores' face. "And how dare you f-cking insult me! Who the hell do you think you are?!"

Awang ang mga labi at salat ang tinamaang pisngi na pinasadahan ni Dolores ng masamang tingin mula ulo hanggang paa si Krisitina. "Ang kapal ng mukha mo!"

Dolores charged to physically attack Kristina too but André instinctively moved to protect his wife. He blocked Dolores then locked her within his arms.

"Mom, don't!"

Galit na galit si Dolores at pilit nitong iniaabot ang mga kamay para saktan si Kristina.

"Wow, this is very funny," Kristina laughed. "I should have brought my phone with me so I can take a picture of this mad cow."

"You knock it off, too, Kristina!" André yelled. "Both of you, stop it!"

"Make that ugly bitch stop first! She's the one who f-cking started this!" Kristina yelled back.

"Palayasin mo 'yang babaeng 'yan. Ayokong makita 'yang babaeng 'yan dito!" sigaw din ni Dolores na nangigigil pa rin na hablutin si Kristina sa kabila ng pagpigil dito ni André.

"Good suggestion! Do it, André. Make me leave because I wouldn't want to be in the same house with that hypocrite!"

"Enough!" André finally roared. "Ang aga-aga nagkakagulo kayong dalawa!"