Chapter 37 ~ We Make a Good Team.

Ash's P.O.V

"So did you want to eat out or just get take away? I can't be bothered cooking tonight." I said, flipping through a magazine. 

"I'd kinda like to go out, try a new restaurant or something. If you're feeling up to it of course." Riker responded, sitting in his usual place on the opposite side of the couch. 

"Rocky and Vanessa were telling me about this place in Burbank if you're interested." 

"Sure, make us a reservation." 

"Alright." I said, making a mental note. "How was work?" 

"You make it sound so professional." Riker remarked. 

"It is professional. You're going into business. It's exciting." 

"I know. I've missed it. I finished up the meeting today between the producers and if we can give them some material by Tuesday, the pay checks should get through by the end of the week." 

"This is really know. I know that I should be super serious about it, but I can't help but think about how fun this all is." I said, turning another page. 

"Good. This should be fun. We've always worked so well as a team. As far back as when you were 15 and I was 18 and we partnered up for a game of Monopoly." He laughed. 

"Oh, I remember that. Everyone but us ended the game in bankruptcy. Man, we are a good team." I smiled. 

"And very soon, you'll be 18. Any plans for the big day?" He asked. 

I sighed. "I've never really thought about our age gap before. Do you think it's weird?" I asked. 

"No, you're a lot more mature than you think you are. And back to the original question, what do you plan on doing for your birthday?" 

"I haven't really thought about it. It's like a week after Ross's movie premiere, so it's not like I want some big fancy party." I looked back down at my magazine and flipped over another page. "And speak of the the devil." I said, showing Riker the poster for the movie on the magazine. Riker nodded and peaked a small smile. 

"Okay, so, I'm gonna go see my parents for a little while, but you make that reservation and I'll pick you up at 8." He said, getting up off the couch before leaving. 

So, I know it seems like Riker and I have it all figured out. But we've spent copious amounts of time together over the past couple weeks and nothing. Nothing has happened, nothing romantic at least. It's not that I've wanted something to happen, because after Ross, I definitely need a break, but I'm just confused as to what Riker and I are. Friends? Business partners? He practically lives with me since he's slept over almost every night and we go on what looks to be dates, so what? What are we? 

That's something I should be asking him. I just don't want him to be scared off. I really need someone like him in my life right now. 

The thing that really gets me is that I know he's hiding something. He gets choked up whenever I bring up Ross. As far as I know, there's no bad blood. But he goes off to see his 'parents' everyday, but when he takes me with him they act like they haven't seen him in a while and I don't want to invade his privacy like some jealous girlfriend, but I'm worried he's not telling me the whole truth. 

But never the less, I'll keep my worries to myself as I trust Riker. Meanwhile, I have to make a reservation. 

~~

A/N: Another short chapter, and yes, it took a long time to get it out. It's just that time of year again, and I have no excuse. But anyway, I figure that since many of you mentioned in the comments of the last chapter that I update more frequently (ironic, I know) I figured that smaller chapters means less time to plan, write and edit them. (But I promise, they won't all be this short.) Hope you all understand. 

And thank you all for the support on the last chapter, it means a lot that some of you guys still make sure to leave a kind comment on every chapter to remind me that you still care. Thanks. 

Love always, Charlotte. xx.