Chapter 10 ~ Returning to War.

Ash's P.O.V

I checked my lip gloss in the mirror and tattled with my hair until it sat right. Today was the day I got to interpret for the young deaf girls first day of hearing school. I'd heard about this, apparently it's practically impossible for a deaf person to go to and enjoy hearing school. But I knew that I was going to do all I could to make this day for her a good one. After all, if I screw this up, let's just say my job at the firm may be in hot water. 

A knock at the door rattled me out of my compulsion to make my hair sit perfectly, the hair that I'd almost forgotten used to be blonde. I knew who it was at the door, who it had to be. Noah. In fact, I didn't even give any thought to one of the drama-ridden boys showing up on my doorstep. It wasn't until I actually saw Noah standing there, that made me double take in a shaky effort to not call him Riker. 

"You ready?" He signed. He was well dressed, not unlike usual, with a hint of Abercrombie & Fitch model swarming around him. 

"Yeah, just let me grab my jacket." I smiled. I made an extra effort today to look not only cute and friendly, but professional as well. I wore a yellow skater skirt with a white lavender t-shirt tucked in and dark blue heels alongside my black half-length leather jacket. "Okay, ready." I said and guided Noah outside. We got in his car and drove along the highway. 

"So where's this school we're going to?" I asked from the passengers seat.

"Uh," He said with his voice and not his hands as we were driving. He quickly stole a glance at the itinerary, "Southern Valley High School." 

"What?" I snapped the sheet of paper out of his hands. "Crap." I muttered before making a moan of pain. I knew he couldn't hear me, but I did it anyway. 

"Are you okay?" Noah asked, sneaking quick glances at my while trying to keep his eyes on the road. 

"No." I said with uttermost truth.

When we arrived I sighed and slugged my way out of the car. I walked with Noah as he searched for the family we were meeting. I couldn't quite keep my focus on the job as I was too busy staring at everything that moved. 

"And here I was thinking I was finally done with this place." I signed as the face on Noah grew to a shock. 

"Wait, was this your high school?" He laughed. 

"Unfortunately." I frowned. We found the family in no time, Noah had told me that the girl, Sam, was only 13, but had skipped a few grades, and because her parents didn't think school was challenging enough for her, they decided to try her out in hearing school. My hearing school. Luckily for Sam, I knew my way around the school, and although I knew she was going to get some form of ridicule for being deaf, I doubt many people would notice she's only 13, she probably stands at 5'5'' and looks no younger than 15. 

After a few formal introductions, the bell rang, meaning first period was about to begin. As I walked through the hallways, I felt hundreds of eyes burning into me. Muffled whispers filled the room with faint words that sounded like my name. I'd never given anyone a reason as to why I left. So it wasn't unusual for people to be surprised to see me. Everybody around me seemed vaguely familiar, with me quickly putting names with faces. That was, until my eyes came in contact with Emily's. 

"Ash?! Oh my god! What are you doing here?" She yelled, loudly enough that everybody's whispers began to die down. 

"I'm working." I pulled Sam up next . "Sam, this is my old friend Emily, Emily this is Sam. I'm her interpreter." I signed, making it blatantly obvious. 

"It's nice to meet you, Emily." Sam signed and spoke with a deaf accent. 

"It's nice to meet you too." Emily smiled. I signed back to Sam what she's said as she wasn't good with lip reading. Emily then moved me so Sam couldn't see me, obviously because what she wanted to say was private. Noah took notice and began chatting with Sam.