Chapter 13 ~ Just Maybe.

"So, how'd you do?" Dan asked as I kicked my shoes off and dropped on the couch of my former home.

"Okay, I think. I mean, the car got back in one piece, so I guess that's a good sign." I said, leaning on the arm rest. 

"No, I mean, did you pass?" He said, pulling a cushion onto his lap to hug.

"Oh, yeah." I said as if it were nothing.

"I knew you could do it!" Dan brewed a grin. 

"Well it's not like I can just drive around now, I don't have a car and even if I did I'd need a fully licensed driver to go with me everywhere I went." I sighed. The doorbell rang, and instead of getting up, Dan just yelled "It's open!" Ross walked in stared me blankly in the face for a few seconds before snapping to his point. 

"Hey, uh, is Brooke here?" He said. I looked over at Dan. 

"Yeah, she's upstairs with Lexi. I'll let her know you're here." Dan said and walked up the stairs, Ross turned away and Dan mouthed the words 'talk to him' at me and continued up the stairs. 

I took a couple of breaths, "So, why's Brooke here, anyway?" I asked. 

"I'm not sure, I think she and Lexi had lunch plans." He leaned over the back of the couch. 

"Oh," I said, a little confused, "I didn't even know they knew each other." 

"It's not a problem, is it?" Ross asked. 

"No, why would it be a problem?" I asked, honestly a little concerned that it was going to be a problem. 

"I just wasn't sure how okay you'd be with my girlfriend being friends with your friend, that's all." He said as he folded his arms.

"Hey, as long as she doesn't hurt Lexi or the baby, I really don't care what she does." I said. 

"What's this attitude, Ash? Are you mad at me or something?" Ross moved closer to me. 

"No, I've just had a frustrating day, I shouldn't be taking it out on you. Sorry." I looked down and fiddled with me hands. 

"It's okay. Do you want to talk about it?" He said, sitting on the arm rest. 

"Thanks but no thanks. I think I'm just gonna head home." I said and stood up. 

"Oh, well do you want a lift?" Ross asked, standing up with me. 

"Ross!" Brooke yelled as she ran down the stairs. He hugged her and she kissed him, I turned away to avoid the view. I looked back just as the kiss ended and saw them looking into each others eyes, smiling. They looked really happy. 

"So, Lexi's craving applesauce and we're all out. I'm gonna pop by the store. Ash, I'll give you a ride home." Dan said and pulled some money out of his wallet. 

I turned to Ross, "Maybe next time." Brooke's phone beeped.

"Shoot, Ross. I totally forgot that I had rehearsals tonight. Can we reschedule dinner?" Brooke said.

"Sure." Ross said, in an obviously disappointed tone. 

"Oh and can you drop me off at the studio? I'm already late." She begged. He sighed and nodded. "Thanks boo, I'll be in the car." Brooke squeaked.

"The perks of dating an actor, right?" Ross joked.

"I'd know." I admitted.

"Bet you're glad you're not in that position anymore." He said. I paused for a minute.

"Yeah." I whispered. Dan grabbed my arm and pulled me out with him. 

"C'mon, Ash." He said. I followed him into the car and watched Ross and Brooke drive off first. Dan pulled out of the driveway and started making his way to my place. 

"Inside before. What was that?" I asked. 

"What was what?" He looked at me for a millisecond before turning back to the road. 

"When you mouthed 'talk to him'." A smug look grew on his face. 

"I may have run into Tom at the gas station yesterday. He may have told me a few things I probably wasn't supposed to know." He smirked. 

"I don't know what he told you, but I can assure you that it's not what you think." I said as we pulled up at my house. 

"All I know is, you were a hell of a lot happier when you two were together." I shut the door and ran to the porch, unlocking the door with a friendly greeting from Benji. 

Maybe Dan was right. I was happier. Maybe it's because everything was so much easier during the summer. Maybe it's because all that Ross and I were was a summer fling. I miss Ross, I really do. I miss the way he'd bring me little gifts, I miss the way he's kiss me for no reason other than to say 'I love you.' I miss the way that no matter what, he never failed to make me smile. 

But maybe all of this only mattered to me. Ross moved on. When I tried, all I managed to do was move two brothers up and now Riker won't even speak to me. I remember when I first realized I had feelings for Ross. I remember being terrified that if ever anything happened between us, our friendship would be ruined. 

And it was. 

It's just so frustrating. To know that what you want is what you can't have. And that what you can't have is what you need, and that what you need, is dating this really great girl. I know that I told myself that I'd stop getting in the way of Ross's happiness, but I'd be kidding myself if I said that seeing him with Brooke isn't killing me.

I hate this feeling. I'ts like being stuck in a room with two doors. And behind one door could be everything you've ever wanted. Happiness and love and all those other things you've been missing. But behind the other door could be you, sitting alone, being miserable. And then you have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk? 

Because I'm not sure that it is. 

But just maybe, things will turn out exactly the way I want. Just Maybe.  

~~~ (READ FOR COMPETITION INFO) 

A/N: Short chapter, I know. The consistency of my updating has been real sloppy lately and I do apologize. 

But I do have a bright side. I've had beyond a lot of requests lately for me to add you guys's personal characters to the story, and I'd love to add some for you, but I can't just pick and choose as it would be unfair to everyone else.

So, seeing how well all the other mini contests have gone, I've decided on a way to make this interesting. 

I wan't you guys to either comment on this chapter, post on my wall or inbox me, in 25 words or less, what you think the most epic, head turning, plot twist to this story would be. The winner will receive their very own character (with plot line) AND the next chapter inboxed directly to them AT LEAST a week before it's released (and trust me, the next chapter is one you'll all want to read.) 

I hope to hear your responses. Charlotte.