Chapter 33 ~ A Realisation.

Ash's P.O.V

As I let the cool water run down my face, I felt remorse wash over me. 5 minutes went past and I couldn't even pick up a bottle of shampoo. I had no energy left and no will to do anything but stand there. The loud sound of the shower running only increased the severity of my already aching headache. 

I pressed my back up against the wall and slowly slid down, letting the water pour onto me. My mind wouldn't stop building up a wall of thoughts and feelings and not an ounce of happiness or joy was being let through the cracks. And as the pounding continued I shut my eyes and breathed, for what seemed like forever. 

But a thump on the door would insure that I didn't stay like that for long. 

"Ash, are you almost done in there?" Ross's voice awoke me from my sorrow. 

"Yeah, give me a minute." I cleared my throat. Finally standing up, I spent 30 seconds washing my hair as quickly as I could and turned off the shower. When he heard the water stop he asked if he could come in. I wrapped myself in a towel and said yes. 

"There's plenty of hot water left, if you need it." I said in a dreary tone of voice. 

"Thanks but I just wanted to wash my hands." He said. I nodded and begun to walk out. "Hey, Ash, I probably gonna leave before you finish getting dressed but I just thought I'd let you know that today's the last day of filming. And afterwards, I think I'm gonna go speak to my parents." 

"That's great, Ross." I said, with little attempt to sound more excited for him. I walked back to my room and closed the door. I didn't know what to say to Ross, do I tell him and have him forbid me to ever see Riker again, or do I keep it a secret and risk lying to him? 

I let the day pass by quickly, I barely did anything. I sat in my room fiddling with things and thinking way to hard about an otherwise easy question. But no answer seemed to come to me. And all I was at this point was frustrated. Frustrated at myself for not being able to make a decision, frustrated at Riker for telling me this in the first place, and frustrated at Ross for not letting me in on this secret of his, and for not even asking me how I was. But why would he? 

It's not like he's been bothering to spend much time with me lately. I get that he's been busy with this movie, but what happened to this amazing summer we were supposed to have? It's becoming just as eerie as last summer. 

But this time, there's no dramatic love story, at least not with Ross. 

And speaking of the devil, I heard his footsteps as they entered the house. "Ash?" He called out, "You home?" 

I stayed silent, but soon enough he walked into my room and found me sitting on the floor next to my bed. 

"What are you doing?" He asked. 

"Uh, just, looking for a top I miss placed." I answered slightly untruthfully. 

"Okay, so I have some news." He said. 

"How did seeing your parents go?" I asked, in place of what he was going to say. 

"Well, it's about that actually. Mom's been under heaps of stress lately, and she's become a pretty heavy drinker-"

"Yeah, Ryland told me." I added. 

"When did you speak to Ryland? Actually, I don't care." He interrupted himself. "Anyway, in order to help support her while she sobers up, they've asked me to move back home."

"Oh.." 

"But I didn't say anything. I wanted to talk to you first, because obviously, we live together now, and I bring in all the income, but if I was to move back home, I'll still be happy to pay the bills and all that" 

"Ross, you don't have to-" 

"I want to. You wanted to enjoy your summer, and there's no way I'm gonna make you get a job. And I'm sure I'll be over here heaps anyway, I'll just be staying at my parents. Is that okay?" 

"Yeah, it's fine." I said.

"Great. Well I'm gonna go pack a bag to take over there. But I'l stop by tomorrow so we can do something." 

"Okay." 

He walked over to me and kissed my head before walking out and back to his room. I looked down at the ground and felt so guilty, so dishonest. But until I figure out what to do with Riker, I don't want to say anything to Ross. He already doesn't trust us around each other, imagine if he knew what I did. 

And on the topic of guilt, something else washed over me. Something I hadn't thought of yet, the fact that I may have been leading Riker on. Did I make him feel like there was still something there with us? Is that why he told me? Because he thought I felt the same way? 

Riker hated me for the longest time because I made him fall for me, and I can't let that happen again. He means to much to me to have our friendship broken apart once again because of my relationship with Ross. He needs to let me go. 

And I'd be sure to let him know that. 

Once Ross was out of the house I called Riker and asked him over. I don't know what he was expecting but I know exactly what I was going to say to him. I'm going to look him right in the eyes and tell him just how inappropriate it was to say what he did to his brother's girlfriend. 

I'm going to tell him that he needs to find a way to move on, because I don't want him to suffer over me. It's not fair to him. He doesn't deserve to chase after a girl who's with someone else. 

So when he got to the house, I had the entire script played out in my head. He walked in and greeted me in the polite way that he does, I told him that I needed to speak to him but right before I let out all my frustration on him, he said something that threw me completely off guard. 

"Are you okay? You look like crap, when was the last time you slept?" He asked, and I froze in place, forgetting everything I'd planned on telling him. 

He asked how I was. I know that it doesn't seem like some big gesture but to me it was a sign that he cares. It may have been wrapped in an insult, but he noticed that I looked like a mess, and he asked how I was. Ross didn't notice. And if he did, he didn't care. At least not enough to ask. 

When Ross told me he was moving back to his parents he told me he was moving 'home'. As if he didn't consider my house as his home. When I moved in, it took me a week to call it home, and he's been living here months. 

We've been back together for months. But every time I'm with him, it still feels like a third date. Maybe it's for the best that he's moved back to his parents, because I could really use the alone time. 

Riker sat me down and apologized for what he said the day before. And I didn't have to say anything. I wanted to test something. I asked him to get me a glass of water. He got up and went over to the kitchen, when he came back he asked me, "What was the occasion?", I asked what me meant and he referenced the wine.

"We were celebrating. Ross wrapped up his movie." I made up a reason on the spot. 

 I smiled. Once again he's managed to notice something Ross hadn't. 

~~

A/N ~ Y'all are gonna get mad at me for pushing 'Rikash' further. But you know what, the love triangle was always what you guys found most interesting, so it's gonna happen. 

Annnnnd a big thanks to everyone who have their opinions on the next book idea, it was much appreciated. When this story get's closer to the finale, I'll bring out more details on it and I'll let you guys take a  vote on who you want to star in it. 

Hope you guys like the chapter, 

Love always, Char. xx.