Chapter 14: Invisible Nancy

Chapter 14:  Invisible Nancy

Enzo quickly checked for any broken bones on Nancy, so far there were none, so he decided it was okay to carry her to the car. We were moving fast, those men with tattoos might be just near and we know that they won’t let Nancy get away that easily. Enzo carried Nancy while Bryce and I lead the way. Devin was on our back being our watch, he was securing that we weren’t followed.

We made it safely to the car. No trace that we were followed. We placed Nancy gently at the backseat. She was starting to move, little by little. Enzo told her not to. She was mumbling something, something about getting help maybe. She was too weak that she didn’t know she was being rescued. I can see her pinky was bandaged. I remembered the letter delivered to me last night. Poor girl lost her pinky.

Devin took the wheel this time. Enzo was at the backseat with Nancy. He was holding her hand for comfort. To my surprise I was also at the back seat with the both of them. I was too concerned for Nancy to let some emotion out.

“Stay with me Nancy, it’s going to be okay now.” I said. I used some of y persuasive voice ability in there, hoping she wouldn’t die on us all of a sudden.

“No more monsters here Nancy, you are safe, I’m here.” Enzo comforted her. His words were so sincere that I even felt safe, he couldn’t have a persuasive voice as well. He doesn’t possess such ability. There was the word safe though, oh the irony, even if she was free, was she totally safe? Were we totally safe?

“Where too?” asked Devin when we reached an intersection. We didn’t notice we were driving in a straight road since we’ve rescued Nancy. I looked at Enzo, clearly he’s the man of the hour. I looked at him for leadership.

“We need to go to a hospital, she needs help.” Enzo said. The hospital wasn’t the brightest choice to choose, I thought to myself. I know he knew that too, but he was too concerned for Nancy’s condition to think properly.

“We can’t go to a hospital, it’s too risky, we can’t go anywhere publicly, and beside there will be a lot of questioning regarding her condition right now.” Bryce said. At least he had the courage to speak up like that. I can’t say that in front of Enzo, especially in front of Nancy.

Enzo fell silent for a while, we were still at the intersection, waiting for his response, “Then where do you reckon we go?” Enzo said willingly. He gets it why we can’t go to a hospital, it was too risky. It’s a good thing he took Bryce’s advice willingly.

“I suggest we go to the nearest inn we can find, I do agree that she needs some medical attention, and I think we can provide that for her.” Bryce suggested. Enzo just nodded in agreement. Nancy was his priority right now but Enzo also knew that he can’t jeopardize our identities; especially we were now wanted by those men with tattoos.

Devin asked for directions from a man walking by for the nearest inn, so far the nearest was a 30 minute drive, long enough for us to discuss the back story for Nancy’s condition. We assumed that we cannot avoid conversation regarding Nancy and what happened to her. It was safe enough just to think of a story.

The story we made up for was – she was my cousin from the UK who got drunk in a party, fell to the ground and got all her clothes dirty, her pinky was punctured by a nearby nail causing it to bleed excessively. I thought it was a very believable story just looking at her.

“Don’t worry Enzo, Nancy won’t die today, at least not in that way. The five will die in the hands of those men with tattoos, while the others will live to tell the story in Mirrston.” Bryce explained. Enzo gave me that ‘huh’ look, but I think he was giving me that ‘what is he talking about’ look. I just said ‘later’ in a silent way. I remembered that Enzo wasn’t there when Bryce had his big revelation.