Prologue (Proposed prologue for the revised Purple Children)

A/N: So I'm editing the Purple Children and what came into my mind was a prologue and here it is. The plot of TPC won't actually change, I'm just going to introduce some new characters and 19000 more words because currently TPC has 51000 words and I wanted to have 70000  and more so yeah. I'll update you guys for more updates. :-D In the meantime, enjoy.

Somewhere in the corner of Teresa’s eyes were people running like rampaging zebras caught in the trail of a lion. It was a bad idea to go out when the sun had already set especially that night when the clouds came in unexpectedly above claiming lives of innocent victims. It was a risk worth taking, she needed the supplies but the demand was high.

“Why do people love to rush?” Matt complained with his British accent that he claimed was gone after a few years living in America. He got fat was one thing he never claimed, big boned was his term for it, but deep inside a plan to get in shape was already in process.

The grocery store downtown was probably the only place where the sign ‘closed’ wasn’t displayed in the doors and where people paid double just for a jug of water.  Matt wished he could drink rain water instead; his blonde hair was already soaked in it anyway, together with the black coat Teresa got him the day of his birthday, a year after their marriage.

“Water, food and candles, don’t forget.” Teresa recited as she hurried along to tug one of the few remaining trolleys left at the trolley area. Shelves were almost cleared up, especially in the bottled water area where the only remaining supply was half a litter of water with a punctured side. “Darn it!” Teresa cursed.

“We have enough at home honey, right now we need batteries, then those other stuff.” Matt tugged Teresa’s arm. Her feet were sturdy on the ground until she flew off to the other end of the isle where she tied her brunette noodle curly hair into a bun and climbed up, trying to reach the top shelf.

“What are you doing?” Matt complained as he dashed off before his wife hurts herself.

“Saw these, and thought we need them.” Teresa held in her hands a bottle of wine and tequila that looked like people left it out for a reason with its tattered labels and tiny visible cracks at the bottom of the bottle.

“Nice, now for those batteries,”

The grocery store was almost out of supplies given that they’re about to close in an hour or probably two. Matt and Teresa was able to stock up some supplies such as a dozen of double A batteries, ten rolls of toilet paper, a few magazines, a pack of cigarette, candles, lighters, the bottle of wine, tequila, and a pack of gummy bears as Teresa had suddenly craved for.

All five cashier stations were full and the queue was long for an average person to anticipate. Aretha Franklin filled the noisy hallway as a lot of people complained on the bad customer service the cashiers gave out. Other employees of the grocery store lost their temper as a nearby fight with a male teen broke out at the far side of the grocery store. It killed a few minutes of their waiting time but it was still a pretty long line.

“Kids these days,” Matt complained but kept it to himself. He never understood the generation they were in, when he grew up, he had strict parents who monitored his every move, there was love but his childhood felt very restricted.