Chapter 12: Revolvers

We drove off after the incident that had happen. We burnt the computers and log book which the motel had and any evidence that might connect us with the crime that had just happen. We have taken care of the bodyguard’s body but decided to leave the Manager’s, since we were not the ones responsible for it. It took as until sunset to get going.

Everybody was tired, nobody felt like talking. Enzo was driving this time, somebody who actually had a license among us but a fake one, that is. He did mentioned returning back to his own place to pack up some things. The sunset grew brighter by the distance; it’s been a while since I started appreciating nature as it was.

I looked behind me, Devin and Bryce were sleeping, I couldn’t blame them; they had to carry a 6 foot body behind the motel and dig a hole so they can bury the body inside it, while Enzo and I committed arson. Even with his enormous strength, Devin could also be tired. ‘Super’. Are we?

I found myself dozing off, my head started to bow down after the long night we just had. I will eventually wake up every minute, the position I am in was very uncomfortable. I opened my window to get some better air, I would rather feel the wind in my hair rather that the AC on my face.

“Are we there yet?” I asked. I was eager to sleep in a proper bed; my car seat wasn’t the luxury bed I’ve been craving for. It’s like a pillow, the hot one which forces you to turn it around every few minutes.

“Almost there, we have a cabin around here, I’ve stayed there for a little while so it’s packed with food, water and some toiletries.” Enzo said. It sounded like heaven, and all I was looking for was a bed anyway.

I watched the trees as they dance among the breeze. It’s a great day for a beach or for a jog. I wondered how the normal people were doing right now, somewhere in their house sleeping at this hour; I really do envy them right now. Having abilities wasn’t worth it, unlike how super heroes in comic books that I had read.

“Do you want some music?” I asked. I can’t stand an eerie silence. I can’t sit here just not saying anything. I felt like I need to say something to him. 

“No thanks, I don’t listen to music much.” Enzo replied. Although, he was tapping his finger on the wheel, he might be singing on his head.

“Suit yourself.” I said, I closed my eyes and rested. I wasn’t able to properly rest because of the constants bumps on the road. I just faked my eyes closed and imagine a puppy chasing a ball, which was cute and adorable.

The car finally halted, I opened my eyes to see if we were in Enzo’s cabin, I saw an outline of a house already, indicating we were. I looked at the time and it was nearly lunch time when we’d arrived.

“We’re here.” Enzo woke Devin and Bryce up. Both of them stretched and popped up some knuckles. As for me, I looked at the cabin that Enzo had. Nothing was special about it. It looked like a plain four-walled house with a roof. We didn’t dare unpacked, we just walked inside after Enzo opened the door. Devin and Brye raced for the sofas; good thing there were two. Enzo walked to the kitchen to get something to drink, I just stared blankly by the window. ‘I almost lost Bryce today.’ I thought to myself.

Enzo grabbed a cup and filled it with water, “Who wants some water from the tap? It’s all I have so better take it or leave it.” I decided to take it; the cold water was a burst of great relief. A morning of hard work and long drive made my throat as dry as a desert.

“Thanks,” I said in gratitude, I placed the cup over the table and returned back to the window, I just stood there doing nothing.

Devin and Bryce took some water as well. The water did not help them from being sleepy, they returned back to their positions on the sofa and slept just like a baby. Devin was murmuring something on his sleep, sleep talking I guess, it made me and Enzo laughed.