Chapter 9: Running Enzo

“Nancy, where are you? Talk me to me.” the guy on the phone continued. He’s tone indicated that Nancy was an important person to him. I don’t know who Nancy was; asking right now won’t be such a good idea.

I paused before answering back, “Um, hello, this is not Nancy but I think we need to talk.” I said. I tried to match his tone of confidence, but it didn’t work. I was stuttering once again.

I looked at Bryce and Devin, both of which were looking at me. I was communicating with both of them on what to say next, it might be the best idea if we thought of a plan first rather than talking to this guy directly without any clue on what to say to him.

There was a long pause, only the eerie sounds of his breathing can be heard. I looked again at Devin and Bryce. I felt so stupid for dialling the number; I should have just let Devin or Bryce do it. I do not know the slightest thing to say.

He finally answered back, “Okay I’m listening.” I almost placed the receiver down because of his long pause. I’m thankful he answered back, but also panicky at the same time.

I inhaled in deeply before answering, “We found your father’s note together with my mom’s secret guns and I think we’re supposed to find you.” I said. I slapped my forehead thinking how silly that was.

“Why do you think you need to find me?” he asked. His serious tone was scary, even though I’m not prank calling him, I could feel the wrong move could cost me something.

“Because your father is not human and he’s one of the Elder Knights, and you must be a Purple Child.” I answered back. I slapped my forehead once again, that was too much to say in a conversation on a phone.

There was a long pause once again. I heard his fingers tapping against some wood. Thinking, I guess.

I covered the receiver, “What now?” I panicked, I tried to give the receiver to either one of them but they refused to take it. I tried what Bryce always does in times like this; count to ten backwards and stabilize breathing.

Halfway through counting to ten, the guy answered, “Stay where you are.” he said and ended the call. I was left hanging with the noise of a telephone. I returned the receiver upset, I don’t know what he means by ‘Stay where you are’, but I think it means that he’s trolling us.

“What did he say?” Bryce asked. He shook me a little checking if I was alright, I look a little down after the conversation.

“I don’t know? He must be the wrong guy.” we all decided to go back to the motel since the phone call was a bit disappointing. The road was empty, nobody was in sight, the air was very chilly and suspicious. The air suddenly shifted and I stopped walking. Something was different, somebody was watching us. I looked around but no one was in sight.

“Are you okay?” Bryce asked. He turned around to look what caused me to stop.