Chapter 10: Fingertips

The knock continued, this time we all stared at each other perplexed. Who could be knocking at this hour? It was very peculiar.

The knock continued, “General Manager.” the guy who knocked said. We know not to trust anyone especially somebody who just knocked on our door at this hour.

I opened the door gently and suspiciously. Enzo was holding his gun inside his jacket, just to make sure. The Manager was standing alone outside our door, he was in his tucked in polo, slacks and slippers. His eye bugs were clearly seen from his rimmed glasses. His hair was balding, in my guess he may be around 40 years old. He stared at me with complete dissatisfaction. He was holding a note which looked very suspicious just like his presence.

“Somebody came in and wanted to give this letter specifically to you.” the General Manager said handing me the letter. I slowly took the letter from his hand and examined it closely. It was still warm, I can almost feel the hands who gave them to the Manager, I just hoped those hands belong to a good person not an evil one with tattoos on their necks.

I smiled at him, “Thank you.” I said in a polite manner. The manager kept his straight face, he just walked away and I looked as he trailed off, he never looked back, not even once.

I examined the letter closely, it looked ordinary but I bet there was something gruesome inside it. I observed it very well; the envelope was like any ordinary envelope which you can buy at a store. I noticed that there were no writings which can be found encrypted, no address or from who was it from, just a plain, sealed envelope. But something was bulking inside it which made it more peculiar. 

Enzo hid his gun inside his jacket once again, “What is it?” he asked.  He sat down on the foot of the bed and made some room for me, I eventually sat down to share them the letter.

I sat beside Enzo while examining the letter more, “A letter, from somebody.” I said. We all passed the letter so everyone could have a glance at it. All of us were interested on what was inside of it. What could be inside it that it has to be delivered today at this very hour, can’t it wait in the morning?

Bryce took the letter and shook it to get a feel of what’s inside, it didn’t make any noise. He couldn’t really guess what was inside unless we open it which I was very eager to do so. Enzo took the letter next, he sniffed the letter, but there was no significant reaction from him.

“What could be inside?” Enzo asked. Just like Bryce, he shook the letter as well, getting a feel of what was inside it.

“I don’t know. Whatever it is, it’s small.” I said, my mind started to linger on what the item could be, part of mind thought something dangerous was inside, but I doubted it because nothing dangerous that could do damage to us could be that small.

“Does it say who is it from?” Devin asked. He took the letter from Enzo to study it. He looked for clues or markings on it to indicate whom it belonged to.

“I don’t know? The manager just gave it to me.” I answered back and took the letter from Devin. There were no secret writings or clues on the envelope and I find that very strange. I tried getting a feel on what the item could be.

“Let’s just open shall we.” Enzo impatiently said. I did notice that it was taking us too long just to open the letter.

I opened it carefully, I took the item out which made the envelope bulky first, the item was wrapped on cloth, and it had blood markings on it. I was shocked. I opened it slowly afraid to see what’s inside. Bryce, Devin and Enzo anticipated closely behind me as I reveal what’s inside the cloth. The thing inside was covered in blood. I don’t know what it was; it’s upside down or something.