Chapter 18: Nancy's Story

I ran outside screaming Bryce’s name, Enzo was wrong, he might just be hiding, not kidnapped, it couldn’t be true. Tears started flowing down my cheeks as I ran as fast as I could, looking for my brother. I stopped from tiredness. I looked at the wide horizon. No one, nobody’s there. I fell on my knees as tears turned to sobs.

Enzo ran to my aid, he helped me in my knees, “We need to go, I can sense they are not far away. Let’s go.” I stood up and wiped the tears away. I’m not weak, not today I’m not. I’m stronger than they think I am.

Everyone was on the car, even Nancy who just had this big scar on her abdomen was there. Enzo drove, while I sat in the front, I tried stopping the tears from falling out, so far I have succeeded, I needed to put my brave face on for my fellow Purple.

Nancy placed her hands against my shoulders giving me courage, “We are going to find him, don’t worry everything will just be fine. There are five of us now so will be stronger than when I was kidnapped.” Nancy told me, her voice was sweet and comforting. I shook my head and nodded. The rest of the Purple was willing to fight with me; if we have too.

“How far are we?” Devin asked. He sat right between two women who he barely met yet. I observed that his hands can’t stay put; tapping there and there. I felt like he wanted to say something, but too shy to do so.

Enzo looked at a distance, “Not far from here, only a few kilometres away maybe. They have stopped somewhere. Bryce’s energy isn’t moving.” Enzo explained, we were going very fast, past the speed limit. No police where in sight, which was a great thing. Even if there were any, they don’t stand a chance against the five of us. The only harm they can do was to delay our rescue.

Athena started observing each and one of us like there was something odd happening. Her head tilted back and forth. Searching for something, her eyes moved in every direction, feeling everything. Devin felt uncomfortable sitting next to her. Nancy watched as Athena locked her eyes on her. Athena’s eyes were covered with confusion.

“Stop looking at me like that. You’re creeping me out.” Nancy told her. She was scared at how Athena looked at her. It’s like Nancy was some sort of monster and Athena was there to kill her. Athena’s eyes started to widened as if she figured it out. Figured what was wrong all along. She ran her hands through Nancy’s abdomen.

“Stop that, what do you think you’re doing? You’re invading my personal space in here.” Nancy slapped Athena’s arm away. Devin stopped them with his mighty hands but Athena still had that odd look against Nancy. Nancy was getting really upset, which was bad for her health considering she was still weak.

Athena bit her lip, “You’re carrying something, something horrible, and something dangerous, dangerous enough to kill us all right now.” Athena recited. She was like reciting a prophecy of some kind. Her confused faced slowly turned to fear. Her eyes still locked on Nancy’s tummy like it was going to produce some mass weapon of destruction or something. Devin tried calming Nancy down as she was tearing up.

Devin and I had that moment of psychic conversation. It was odd that Athena knew that there was something inside Nancy even though they only met for a few minutes. It was also odd that Athena knows something was wrong with Nancy’s tummy.