Chapter 4: The Picture

I opened my eyes, the smell of melting cheese and pasta engulfed the room I’m in. I blocked the light from my eyes; they were still adjusting from the nap that I just had. I don’t’ recognize this place, white walls, a small fat T.V. in front of the bed and a door which I guess leads to the bathroom. It’s not my room, or Bryce’s. Was it Devin’s? I really don’t know and I don’t have the energy to guess. Devin seated beside me, he’s holding a bowl. I do not know what’s in it but judging from the smell of the room, it was Mac and Cheese, although I really couldn’t tell my nose might also be adjusting, I’m just guessing.

His face was blurry, it’s really hard for me to focus, “War wyu yawrayt?” Devin said. I couldn’t decode what he was telling. Was he speaking in tongues, one of his other abilities maybe?

I groaned, honestly I don’t even know what to say, so my brain might have given its closest answer. I squinted my eyes to get a better view of Devin. His hair was wet and dripping from what I can see. He was wearing his white inner shirt which he always wore and some boxers on.

He moved closer to me, “Lawander war you awright?” he said once again adjusting the volume of his voice, my brain can somehow translate it. I’m thinking he’s asking if I’m alright. I gathered my thoughts and said the first word that pops in my mind.

I slapped him softly for being too loud, “Water...” I said, after all the wondering I have in my mind, I didn’t notice that my throat was desert dry; I hardly even say the word water. I removed the blanket which covered me and notice that I am sweating too much under it.

Devin placed the bowl on the desk beside me; he then rushed at the refrigerator to grab me a bottle of water. He opened it for me assuming he knew that I don’t have the power to open it myself. The water was refreshing, like finding an air-conditioned room from a hot sunny day outside. I didn’t feel alive but at least I regained some energy. Devin then passed the bowl to me, it was Mac and Cheese after all, I swallowed all of it, I didn’t chew much of it, it’s like my stomach wanted food immediately.

I finished the bowl of Mac and Cheese, “More.” I said and gave the bowl to Devin, I started regaining some energy which I had lost but when I tried moving my legs I had a very hard time doing so because they were too sore from the rest I just took.

“Sure, Bryce, get your sister some more of that thing.” Devin said. He just called Mac and Cheese that thing, it bugs me but I’m so hungry that I didn’t care. Devin took a towel from his bag and dried his wet hair, he threw it by the other side of the bed once he’s finish.

“Lavander, are you alright?” he pressed his arms on my forehead then neck, checking if I have fever or something. I didn’t felt ill but my whole body was sore from whatever happened. I can’t feel my legs and my hands were very numb. I tried moving them but I can only manage very few movements. 

“Am I dead?” I touched his arms to feel the warmth of his body. I still am very alive. His skin was soft to the touch, like a baby’s skin. It surprised me considering he was a guy and around my age.

He pinched my arms, I finally felt some pain, “Still dead?” he laughed a little. I don’t know what’s funny about it, so I looked at him seriously. I guessed he took the hint and stopped laughing; he fell silent, feeling guilty of what he just did or what an epic failure his joke was.

“You’re not dead,” Devin said seriously this time, “after your little fight with those two other guys, I found you unconscious. I took you to your car, and I came back for Bryce. We’re now in this motel just outside town.” he said. He took his bowl from the desk and continued eating his Mac and Cheese.