Blazing with Fire

Check out my other Novel Blazing with Fire

Prologue

“How is he doing, Robert? Is he going to be alright?” Martha asked the doctor.

She was about 25 years old. Her once blonde curly hair had been reduced to grey tendrils, and her hands were stained with coal and dust. It coated her neck and face. She trembled as she recalled the events that had just happened. She was a Harvard graduate with a degree in Law. But none of that had mattered when Ayao had chosen her to be the wind guardian a year ago.

Robert released deep sigh. “Can you tell me what happened again?” Robert asked. He had been the company’s doctor for many years. He was a good and trusted asset of the company. He’d served them way back when his aunt was still the wind guardian. His aunt had died and the spirit Ayao had moved to Martha.

“Well—” Martha gulped. “We were in a business meeting at the World Trade Center, but that’s not really why we were there.” Martha looked around the clinic just to ensure no else was there.

Martha continued in a whisper, “We found another guardian working there. We don’t know if it’s water or earth, but I do know that he’s there; I could feel a connection. Everything was going according to plan—“ Martha had to stop for a moment, as someone passed by. “That’s when the plane crashed into the building and everything was on fire and smoke was everywhere. People started screaming and running—”

Robert had to stop Martha. “That’s okay, you can stop.” Robert held Martha’s hand; she was trembling as she told the story to Robert.

Robert offered his handkerchief to Martha which she then used to wipe the tears on her cheeks. She struggled to build her composure once again. Martha tried to return Robert’s handkerchief, but he insisted on letting Martha keep it.

“Sure, Johnny here can control fire, he’s Pele’s chosen guardian, but he’s now too old for his duty. He can't do anything straight anymore.” Martha took Johnny’s hand. It was starting to get cold, but he was still alive. The machines stuck to his veins were the only things keeping him alive. The heart monitor displayed his very slow heartbeat and Martha was worried for him.

“Some say it’s the terrorists, but I know the Missans did this. It’s not a coincidence that we were there when that plane crashed into the World Trade Center. But I kept asking, why? Why kill so many people just to get us?” Martha started tearing up once again. She felt guilty for just being alive.

“The one we’re after might be dead or struggling right now. Geb or Volturnus might as well be looking for another body.” Martha said. She stayed there looking at her old mentor in his dying state. He was old and wise. A little rusty, but he knew how to train fresh blood.

Robert injected something into Johnny’s arm, but nothing happened. He walked across the room to get a larger dosage. “By the way, any news about the goddess Jenevere?” he asked.

Martha struggled, trying to remove the black stain stuck in her palms. “She’s safe, and I visited a week ago…”Martha suddenly stopped her cleansing. “Why do you ask? It’s not like you to be concerned with other people’s business.” Martha said. She quickly turned on her guard and stayed alert.

“It’s just that I’m curious. That’s all,” Robert said. Martha saw him starting to sweat even though the clinic had its own air conditioner. “Come on, Martha, it’s been a year since we’ve known each other,” he continued. His words were more assertive.

‘An ally he no longer is, Martha. He’s a spy. I’m very certain of that.’ The goddess Ayao spoke in her mind.   

Martha quickly pointed her finger to Robert and raised an eyebrow. Robert quickly started twitching as he gasped for air. He fell to the floor, trying to breath. He crawled to Martha and tried to beg, “Plea…” the words struggled to come out. Martha just stared at him as his face started turning purple and his eyes started popping out.

“I thought you were a friend, Robert, but I guess you are not. You’re the devil little spy who’s been working for the Missans. I should have known better than to trust you. I will allow you a slow, painful death to show how merciful I am.” Martha was cruel in what she did to Robert, but she knew without a doubt that he was double crossing them.

'You did a good job, my dear,' Ayao whispered to her. 'You truly deserved to be my guardian,' the spirit continued.

The heart monitor suddenly stopped beeping. Instead, it was droning on endlessly; flat lining. Johnny was dead, and so was Robert. Martha took a deep breath, looked at Johnny’s body, and covered his lifeless body. She knew Johnny had to retire. He’d been old and sick; the duty of a guardian would have been better off without him.

The lights started to flicker. Martha wasn’t scared, but she was when a mini earthquake hit the room. She held onto a pole cemented into the ground so she could stand still. The earthquake only lasted for a few seconds, but the lights were still flickering. A strong gust of wind came rushing into the room. She was the wind guardian, but she couldn’t control this air.

Martha stared at Johnny’s body. A red, ghostly figure suddenly started rising from his body. Her bright red aura illuminated the room. You could feel the warmth coming out of her. Beads of sweat started dripping from Martha’s head into her nape.

The ghostly figure wore an ancient warrior suit with a sword in her hand. Her hair was actually made up of fire; flames of different colors highlighted them. She had flawless skin, like a princess, but the deadly look of a warrior.

Martha knelt down on one knee. “Your Highness, Pele. It is an honor.” The ghostly spirit of Pele did not answer. Instead, she nodded her head and disappeared. Pele had now moved on to find another guardian.

Martha was left in the empty room with two dead bodies. One was a selfish scum and the other was a hero. With her as the only remaining guardian under the care of The Company, she had a duty to find three more.