21

{Allison}

After we took a shower we are lying in bed again. We're close, but not touching.

'So, you and Asher broke up then?' Evan asks and I nod.

'Our parents were talking about our wedding the whole time,' I tell him. 'And I just couldn't handle it. Later that night, Asher and I went to a party and he got drunk. He started to touch me, and when I told him to stop, he just kept going. So I just lost it and I got mad at him and told him about us. So then he got mad, and he wanted to hit me again, but someone stopped him.'

'Why did you tell him about us?' Evan whispers. 'What did you even tell him?'

'I told him that you're the only one who makes me feel good,' I say. 'Evan, I've had sex with Asher that same evening, before we went to the party. And all I could think of was you. I realized Asher and I are not compatible.'

'Took you long enough,' Evan says.

'You know,' I whisper. 'My parents are mad at me. Asher told them I cheated on him.'

'Did you tell them what Asher did to you?' Evan asks, his whole body tensing up.

'No, I didn't really get the chance,' I sigh. 'And they wouldn't believe me anyway. They see Asher as the perfect man.'

'Well, he's not,' Evan growls. 'I swear, if he ever lays a finger on you again, I'm going to kill him.' I smile lightly. I know he won't actually kill him, but I'm glad he wants to protect me.

'Why are you so nice to me?' I ask him, letting my fingertips touch his bare skin.

'Because you're special, Allison Hill,' he mumbles, taking my hand in his. 'You deserve to be with someone who truly cares about you.' My heart is racing again. I feel all the butterflies coming out of their cocoons.

'But I...' I stammer. 'You don't even know me that well.'

'I know you better than you think.' Evan tucks a piece of my blonde hair behind my ear. 'You caught my attention the first time you laid eyes on me. And I never lost you out of sight from that moment.'

'But that's like, three months ago,' I say, confused. 'Why didn't you say anything back then?'

'As I said before, I'm picky,' Evan explains. 'So I wanted to make sure you were the right one. But then you got in a relationship with Asher and you stopped looking at me in college. So I tried to get you out of my head.' I don't know what to think right now. Evan liked me all along. Now I even feel worse about the whole situation. He had to watch me have a relationship with someone else, while he liked me. I kissed him and then left him for Asher. I had sex with him, and then left him again for Asher. I'm such a bitch.

'Hey, what is it?' Evan asks, a concerned look in his blue eyes.

'I fucked it up,' I whisper. 'I fucked it all up.'

'What are you talking about?' I shake my head and want to get up, but Evan holds me down.

'Allison, talk to me,' he says on a demanding tone. 'What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?'

'No, no, you haven't said anything wrong,' I say as I feel the tears coming up in my eyes. 'You're so gentle and caring and... You're just perfect, and I... I led you on. I've been such a bitch to you.'

'What do you mean you led me on?' Evan asks. 'You don't feel the same about me?' A spark of worry flashes in his eyes.

'I do feel the same about you,' I tell him. 'God, I want nothing more than to be with you every moment of the day. But I haven't treated you right. I kissed you, had sex with you, and went back to Asher again and again.'

'I know you won't this time,' Evan says. 'You were just having a hard time. And I understand that. I wouldn't let you be here if I cared about any of that. I know what I want and I want you.' A tear falls down on my cheek and Evan caresses it away. I can barely put to words how relieved I am that he said this to me.

'What about that girl?' I whisper. 'Yasmin?'

'Yasmin?' Evan asks. 'What are you talking about?'

'I saw you with her,' I mumble as I let my cheek rest on the hand that's cupping my face. 'You were hugging her.'

'All, she means nothing to me,' Evan says. 'I've had sex with her once, because I wanted to forget you. But she couldn't let me go. And then she started crying, so I was just trying to be polite and comfort her. I made clear I don't want anything from her, though.' He places a soft kiss on my hair.

'Okay,' I whisper. I believe him. After everything he's done for me, I believe him. 'So now what?'

'Well, I won't ask you to be my girlfriend right away,' Evan says. 'But we can do this.' His lips touch mine and our kiss stays gentle and full of emotions. I almost crawl into him, wanting to feel his body, his warmth. I get a light feeling in my head, as if I'm drifting away. Away from all the chaos that's going on outside of this room.

All that matters right now is Evan and me, us.