Chapter 1

(Then)

The little girl rubbed her eyes, trying to clear them of the sleep. Her mother carried her down the stairs with rushed steps. The 6 year old leaned her head down onto her mother's shoulder.

"Mommy, where are we going?" The little girl asked. The mother smoothed down her daughter's bed head and looked at her; a small, sad smile played across the woman's lips.

"We, honey, are going to play some hide and seek," She said as she led her daughter to the closet with the faulty back. The daughter looked at her and whined.

"But Mommy, if you know where I'm hiding, then it's not really hide and seek!" Her mother chuckled slightly as she placed her daughter back into the secret compartment, along with her blanket and her favorite stuffed black lab dog that she had named Moo-Moo.

"We are hiding from Daddy. Now I want you to be really quiet, so Daddy doesn't know where you're hiding, okay?" The little girl nodded her head and rested it against the wall while planting her thumb into her mouth. "That's my good girl. Remember with all your heart, that both Daddy and I love you, okay?" Once again the daughter nodded, and took her thumb out long enough to say that she loved them too before sticking it back in. The woman smiled down at her daughter one last time before pulling her forward and kissing her gently on the forehead. The front door burst open, and the mother shot a panicked look towards the hallway. Shouts and screams echoed up slowly to them. The mother looked at her daughter, fear in her eyes.

"Remember, don't make a sound. We don't want Daddy find you okay? We love you, Adriane," She slid the faulty wall back in place. Then the door of the closet slid closed. Soon out in the hall, the sounds of foot-steps sprinting, slithered up to the room, but the daughter kept her promised and didn't make a sound.

"You bitch! Where is the girl!?" A man screamed. An animalistic growl bubbled up and filled the room outside the closet.

"You'll never find her!" The girl heard her mother cry out. Snarls formed, and then the house seemed deathly silent. Little did she know how spot on she was.

(Now)

The sand tickled her feet, and briefly Adriane dug her toes in, her legs bent, ready to play her part. She watched as Addison, her best friend (who was slightly taller than her), set the ball into the air. Time slowed as Adriane jumped into the air, stretching her fingers out slightly, her loose fitting tank top sliding up slightly. Then time sped back up when the ball met her palm and she slammed it down towards the other side of the net. Adriane landed gracefully, her legs loose once again. Of course they weren't playing the right way of Volleyball, with the certain positions, Adriane just really liked spiking. Jensen dived forward from the front row, sand spraying everywhere from his feet skidding, and bumped it back over. Adriane glared at him, and he sent her a wink back.

"How's it feel, Carmrich?" She growled under my breath. Jensen was 25, 6 years older than her. He was also Third-in-Command.

"I'll get you next time," Adriane hollered over to him, just as the ball flew over her head onto the other side. It was a competitive game between the guys and girls, and right now they were at a close call with 19 to 20. One more point and the boys win.

"Come on girls, we got this! Two more points!" Addison yelled back to everyone, all the while bumping the ball back. There were a couple girls who shouted back enthusiastic replies. Jake (one of Adriane 's cousins and also future Alpha and was 22) bumped it back. Kassidy, one of Amber's friends, set it to which Amber bumped. Amber was 15 and Jake's little sister. Even though Amber and Adriane were cousins, they were close enough to be considered sisters that got along well together. Adriane smiled at her, giving a thumbs up. She sent Adriane a tooth grin, and refocused her attention on the ball. Finn, Addison's mate, jumped up and smacked it, with one hand, back over to our side.