Chapter 9

Stepping into Marv's Den the next night, after hanging out in her hotel room for the majority of the day; Adriane breathed in the scent of pine and musk that consumed the air. Her stomach gave an uncomfortable twist as homesickness bloomed in her chest.

She sucked in a deep breath before pushing herself to go further into the bar. The walls were covered in lightly stained wooden planks. Black metal cutouts of pine trees were placed against the walls sparsely throughout the cozy bar. The lighting was dim and caused everything to glow warmly. There was a couple other people that sat at tables and at the short end of the bar's counter. There was a digital alarm clock, the numbers a burning red. 10:24 pm.

Adriane assumed her usual position at the bar, landing in a cracked, cushioned swivel chair in the middle of the front. She inspected that bartender in front of her; a young guy, probably 25. He smiled at her, leaning into the counter as he rested his hands far apart from each other.

"Evening. Can I get you anything?" Adriane smiled politely at him.

"I'll have a water," She glanced around the bar, drawing in the scents inconspicuously as she did. No werewolves. No wolf scent at all. She sighed in disappointment, and rubbed her hand across her forehead a couple times.

"A girl like you can't just have a water. I'll get you something else. On the house," Adriane looked back at the bartender, an eyebrow raised.

"A girl like me?" His mouth lifted into a smirk.

"A girl that clearly has had a rough passed couple of days," He put his back to her, scoping out the wall behind him that was littered with various alcohols in different sizes and shapes. He snapped his fingers before grabbing a few and then whirled around to face her. Placing the bottles on the prep counter, he grabbed a shaker and poured all the ingredients in. He seemed to measure each liquid carefully as he would pour slowly and pause like he was deciding if it was enough or not. He eventually put the lid on the shaker before vigorously shaking the container. The loud noise of ice clanging against metal hurt Adriane's sensitive ears and caused her to wince. After a bit, the bartender took out a glass and filtered the drink into it.

He set the glass before her, crossing his arms over his chest and nodding towards it. Adriane eyed the red drink.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Absolut Royal Fuck," she looked up at him with a question dancing in her eyes. "It's the name of the drink. Vodka, Whiskey, Peach Schnapps and some Cranberry Juice. Down it quickly, it's what the shot glass is for."

Adriane grimaced slightly at the concoction.

"Oi! Bartender. Get your ass over here to serve us!" A couple that just came in had sat down a couple seats from Adriane. The man scowled deeply at the bartender as he rapped his knuckles impatiently against the counter. The girl rolled her eyes as she leaned over to the guy and placed her hand on his chest.

"I told you we should have just gone to Howler's Corner. This bar is so old and musty. At least the other place is newer and more modern," she whined quietly into his ear. Adriane perked up. That was definitely a place to check out. She quickly grabbed the shot and downed it, her eye twitching as a burning warmed her throat. The woman kissed the guy on the cheek before standing up.

"Imma head to the restroom," Adriane took this as an opportunity to ask more about the club. Waiting a bit after the woman went into the bathroom, Adriane soon followed suit.

Upon entering the bathroom, she saw the woman at the sink fixing her makeup. Adriane picked the sink next to her's, finding it surprising in the first place that an older bar had more than one toilet. Turning the faucet on, Adriane leaned over and splashed some of the cool water onto her face.