Chapter 22

"The new prisoner, Adriane Carmrich, is due for her Chamber Extraction tomorrow." The man at the head table explained, pointing up at the projector that showed Adriane's records. Her mouth was set in a grim line. Her eyes sparked with hatred, staring straight at the camera as if she could make it combust.

"Her records were completed?" A woman asked, sliding her gaze over to Nathaniel. Like the lower positions that attended the meeting, he was stationed against the wall while the higher ups sat around an oval table. "If I remember correctly, her questioning was cut short when Nathaniel wound up in the infirmary."

The conductor of the meeting nodded his head. "While Nathaniel was unconscious, we sent in another person to finish it up." His eyes pointedly met those of a man sitting at the table towards the back of the room. He shifted forward in his seat, nodding his head slightly in respect. Nathaniel tensed as he narrowed his eyes at the other male. His name was Bruce, and he had a notorious reputation for being a harsh questioner.

"Yes, I finished her questioning. She wasn't as..." His eyes flicked over to Nathaniel. "Cooperative as Nathaniel had said earlier." He returned his gaze to the man addressing him, finishing his statement. "But I... convinced her to answer the questions." Nathaniel's eyes began glowing, turning a few shades lighter. He quickly closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths to pull the beast back. The person next to him nudged him as the meeting continued.

"Hey, man, you okay?" Nathaniel nodded, keeping his eyes closed.

"- Extracting so early can be dangerous. Are you sure you want to do this? She has been here a mere two days. Usually it is done at a week minimum." A person at the table pointed out, folding their hands together. "Doing extraction so soon could risk her wolf coming back. Earlier experiments have supported this. Not to mention she is an Alpha. That makes the risk increase tenfold." Nathaniel opened his eyes as the leader chuckled. His hand rose and waved dismissively at the counter claim.

"Yet, look at the boy from years ago. First Alpha of the official testing batch. Years later, he is still on our side. And plus, since then, we have touched up on the process." A murmur went up in the crowd. Before he gained his memories back, Nathaniel would have questioned himself on who the first Alpha turned had been. Someone he knew? Was he older than him? Now Nathaniel knew that he was him.

"But he wasn't even ten back then! This wolf is near twenty! That is over twice the time for the brain to develop and for the wolf and vessel to bond!" Another high ranking woman cried out. The leader slammed his hands down, startling everyone in the room and causing them to jump.

"I'm telling you! This will work. Adriane is getting the extraction done. Bruce was able to make sure it would work." Nathaniel stiffened.

"What do you mean 'he made sure'?" Someone spoke up, speaking the question Nathaniel was hesitant to hear the answer to.

"I've been able to interrogate enough werewolves to notice when their wolves are weakening. I've also been able to notice when the vessel and the wolf are fighting against each other. I noticed a bit of both. She was more closed in on herself and less assertive like most wolves. This is more than likely because she hadn't shifted for a large amount of time in a while, causing the wolf to be less active. All though I have no reason available as to why the wolf would be opposing it's vessel. Perhaps it was angry at its vessel for something?"

Nathaniel tensed once again. He had a feeling that her wolf was angry with her for her actions towards him. While Adriane was trying to withhold her feelings, her wolf would have wanted to show emotions. The leader looked at the skeptics with a smug smile.

"Now are you reassured enough? The wolf is separated enough from its vessel to be extracted. Now that that is settled, we need a few guards during the procedure. Any volunteers?" He scanned the room. Nathaniel looked around before slowly raising his hand, trying to make it seem like he wasn't in a rush to volunteer. The main guy raised an eyebrow as he looked at Nathaniel. He cleared his throat.

"Sir, I'd like to make up for not being able to finish questioning the prisoner." A vile taste tainted his mouth as he called his a mate a prisoner. The man Nathaniel was talking to nodded his head, before turning to the rest. Amber, who was standing across the room from him, raised her hand. A few more people he didn't know raised their hands.

"The five of you will be on duty tomorrow. Two of you will be guarding the door to the room while the Founder and Extractor are in the Chamber. One of you will be stationed for commotion resolving. The last to will be for the outer door that the prisoner could escape through if somehow she gets through the first three. Meet here tomorrow at seven A.M. for you positions. Meeting closed."

Nathaniel waited like the rest as the higher ups exited first before joining the wave of guards leaving. He kept to himself, making sure to keep his head down and put up a front that screamed he didn't want to be bothered with.

He made his way once again to the cells, ready to see his mate. Ever since his wolf had been returned to him, there's been a constant need to see Adriane. He strode down the stairs and briskly walked to her cell. Nathaniel wasn't high enough in the ranks to obtain any cell keys, so he was forced to stay on the opposite side.

"Eck, he's back. Please don't make out in front of me again. That was disgusting." Nelson grumbled, shooting both of them a grossed out look. Nathaniel smirked over his shoulder as Adriane approached the bars.

"Hi," She said shyly. "What are you doing here? Don't you have things to do?" Nathaniel turned back towards her. His mouth dropped into a frown. Nathaniel reached his hands up, cupping both her cheeks. She rested her hands over his, brushing her thumbs over the back of his hand.

"We have a bit of a problem. Your extraction is due for tomorrow." Adriane's brows furrowed as he said this.

"My extraction?"

"Yes, with extraction, they say they remove your wolf from your body." Adriane winced, recoiling out of his grip a bit. "But really, the process puts your wolf into a indefinite coma. There's no way of knowing what would trigger the wolf to wake back up."

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Adriane question, her eyes widening in fear. Nathaniel tightened his grip on her cheeks. His thumb caressed her skin.

"You'll be fine. I've got a plan."