Chapter 13

She made her way down main street, her duffel bag tucked tightly to her side. The town was small, much like the rogue had said. Many of the shops didn't exceed one story. Some were newer companies; the old bricks painted over with pristine white with large, bold black lettering. Large clear windows sported the wares for sale.

Adriane lifted her nose to the wind, breathing in a full, large amounts to see if she she could catch wind of wolves. There was one a few streets away. Her grip tightened on her bag as her pace picked up to meet with the wolf. She quickly passed a few humans, shouting apologies if she banged into them with her bag.

Rounding the last corner of a street, she saw a man in his late 40's walking down the sidewalk, arms slightly swaying next to him.

"Excuse me!" She yelled, knowing he would hear her. He glanced around the street to see if there was anyone else besides him before turning towards her and stopping. Adriane awkwardly jogged-walked up to him, sending him an embarrassed smile.

"Do I know you, Miss?" He asked her, his voice gruff. She shook her head. She fiddled a bit with the strap of her duffel bag before looking back up at him. His hair was dyed a bleach blond, the roots taking on a silver hue. He stood at around 6'5" and had his left ear lined with piercings. He had a rough looking jawline growing in as light stubble.

"No, sir. But I could smell your scent on you. I had a question I needed to ask." He raised an eyebrow at her, discreetly taking in her scent, surprised to find that the seemingly semi-timid girl in front of him was an Alpha.

"Ask away," He answered, lowering his head slightly in respect. Her smile widened. She brushed back a stray hair that blew in the wind.

"I heard that there was a hunter organization that resided around here. Company? Do you know anything of it?" She watched as his eyes widened. He glanced around rapidly. He looked back at her, nervousness etched into his features.

"We can't talk about them out here in the open. Meet me at my place in an hour." He said in a rush. He pointed out a gray, two-story house. He quickly took off.

"Hey, wait! Why an hour?" By the time the words passed her lips, he was already gone. She threw her arms up in exasperation.

She turned around, heading back down the sidewalk to the main street. She looked around, finding a cottage-like building. There was an old swinging wooden sign out front by a stereotypical white picket fence. In swirly, medieval-like font were the words Stone Hearth Inn. The building was small, but pretty. Its face was made up of various yellows and reds in stone and there was a chimney that rose up from the right side of the dark brown roof. The landscaping was simple but nice. Just some low, manicured hedges along the building.

Walking inside, the door chimed. The receptionist brought her head up and smiled. She was an older lady, with a white old lady afro. Her glasses had a thin chain that wrapped around her head and rested on the back of her neck. Looking around the room, there were a few puffy brown suede couches and a dark wooden coffee table. As the name stated, there was a large stone fire place, the stones matching those of the outside walls.

"Hello, ma'am! Are you looking to stay in a room?" She asked Adriane sweetly. Adriane walked towards her, a small smile on her features.

"Yes, I don't know how long I'll be staying though." The old lady swatted her hand in the air.

"That's no problem! We'll just pay by the night. Here, take this key. It unlocks the second door on the left!" She winked as she passed over the room key. It was a small, simple silver key. Adriane returned her smile and thanked her before taking off down the hall.

She set her duffel bag on the ground and took in the room. It was plain, a twin bed with a simple gray comforter. There was a dark dresser with a small TV place on top of it. At the side of the bed, there was a small table with an old rectangular digital clock. Lastly, there was a desk in the corner with a small lamp on it and shelves for miscellaneous items. She flopped down on the bed, glancing at the clock before throwing her arm over her eyes. She had 30 minutes until she had to leave.

She must have dozed off because next thing she knew, her internal body clock was waking her up. It was a minute or so before she had to leave, and she stood up and stretched out her muscles with a squeak releasing itself out her mouth. She walked to the mirror in the small attached bath. She smoothed her hair down before splashing water on her face and wiping it off. She patted her cheeks a couple of times to get some color in them before she nodded her approval and left the room.

She left the building, waving slightly to the receptionist as she passed her. The old woman gave her a friendly smile before waving back. Adriane opened the door once again, a light ding sounding. She blinked a couple times at the sudden bright light before turning down onto the street.

She walked down the road, her arms moving back and forth as she kept her brisk walk towards the house. She left with 15 minutes to spare because she knew that's how long the walk would take. She was surprised to see that barely anyone was in the streets. She shrugged, enjoying the beautiful day with the breeze brushing against her skin teasingly. She sighed in content. She turned the corner, her destination in view. She hummed quietly to herself. She was three houses away from learning the location of Amber. Two houses away now.

There was squealing tires that rang out in the air behind her when she was a house away, and she turned to see a white van speeding towards her. Her eyes widened as she went to take off, but suddenly there were hands wrapped her face as they harshly pressed cloth into her nose and mouth. She jerked in the grip, close to being free when the van stopped and people in thick black suits piled out. They helped the person to keep her in their grip. Her limbs grew heavy as she tried to escape before her brain vaguely registered she had stopped moving. Her eyes drooped as she fought to keep them open.

There was a gesture between the men and garbled speech that she couldn't make out. She was picked up and thrown precariously into the back of the vehicle.

"We got her! We got Alpha 02. I repeat, we finally found Alpha 02."

~~~~~~~

Happy New Year!