Chapter 3

The last few days went without an incident. After Adriane had found the rogue scents, patrol had bulked up a bit on the west side. They were also finding trails on the southern end of the territory. Every once and a while, a trail would waft their way and that alone kept the patrols tight on those two ends. Adriane was down in the kitchen, munching on a bowl of cereal after another rough morning of waking up and making it to the bathroom. Adriane's aunt Kathy buzzed around the kitchen, tiding things up here and there.

"Morning, Amber," Aunt Kathy said, smiling towards the archway. Amber walked in moments later.

"Mornin', Mom," she replied, sitting down next to Adriane. She grabbed a banana that sat in the middle of the island.

"You got any idea what's planned for today?" Amber questioned Adriane as she peeled the banana half way and took a bite.

"Not a clue. I'm assuming training again," Adriane replied, taking another spoonful of Cheerios. Aunt Kathy made a noise before swallowing her orange juice and pointed at Amber.

"Did you know that bananas are the most widely eaten fruit in America?"

"Mom, were you drinking Snapple again?"

"Maybe." Adriane and Amber shared a look. They both knew the Luna had a slight addiction to Snapple and its little facts on the cap. "Also, most people, when looking for a boyfriend, unconsciously look at the symmetry in their features. So, sunglasses make people look more attractive."

"Okay then," Amber trailed off. Suddenly, her eyes lit up as she looked at Adriane. "What do you think your mate will be like?" Adriane dropped her spoon into her bowl, the impact sending milk droplets spraying.

"What brought that up?" Adriane asked incredulously. Amber giggled. Aunt Kathy smiled before making her way over to the island and leaning on the opposite side of Adriane.

"Yeah, Adriane. What do you think your mate will be like?" The Luna repeated Amber's question. Adriane's cheeks flushed as she looked down.

"I... I- uh," She stumbled, looking for a way to get out of it. Truth be told, she had dreamed about what her mate would be like, but she'd be embarrassed to confide with the other females about it. At that time, Hank, the Beta, rushed into the room. Adriane internally breathed a sigh of relief.

"Luna, the Alpha has instructed me to take you to the safe house," Hank's eyes flicked over to Adriane. "He's also said that you need to shift ASAP for debriefing," She nodded her head in understanding. Wolves couldn't communicate telepathically in their human forms. Hank ushered Aunt Kathy with his hand to hurry up and she whirled around to look at Amber.

"Come on, Amber," she said frantically.

"I'm right behind you, mom." Amber said, smiling. Luna Kathy looked torn for a moment before nodding and leaving. Amber turned and looked at Adriane.

"I'm coming with you," was all Amber stated. Adriane growled at her, eyes flashing in warning. Amber didn't flinch away though; she was of alpha blood too.

"You might get hurt and plus Uncle John would have my head if he found you with me. Go with the other children and women and help comfort them, they'll listen to you. You may be 15, but you still have Alpha blood coursing through your veins." Amber looked like she was going to protest, but thought against it.

"Fine, but only because I don't want you in trouble," Adriane nodded and rushed out the pack house. Sprinting across the yard, she quickly broke through the line of trees, shifted, and shredded her clothes. She really thought Amber had stopped coming. That she had turned back and taken Adriane's advice. She really thought Amber did.

[They took advantage of the west and south side being heavier guarded and came in through the east and north.]

[How many are you counting?]

[Dozens. There are both rogues and hunters here. Since when did they team up?]

[The hunters are probably using them. Ashton! behind you!]

[Adriane? Have you shifted yet?]

[I'm here.]

[Thank the moon goddess. Head towards the west side. We are having trouble over there.]

[Roger that.]

Rushing in the direction Adriane had been sent to, she heard screams and snarls slowly filling the air. The mother looked at her daughter, fear in her eyes. "Remember don't make a sound, we don't want Daddy find you okay? We love you, Adriane," She slid the faulty wall back in place. Then the door of the closet slid closed. Soon out in the hall, the sounds of foot-steps sprinting slithered up to the room, but the daughter kept her promised and didn't make a sound.

"We love you, Adriane." Those words seemed to echo in her mind. I love you too, Mom. I promise you they will not get away this time. Adriane shook her head and snarled. Hunters had taken away her family once; they were not doing it again!

Finally making it to the heart of the battle, Adriane found wolves already fighting other wolves, while some were going for the humans with the crossbows and rifles. She jumped onto the back of a rogue that had been sneaking up on a wolf already fighting. It yowled in surprise, and Adriane bit down hard on the rogue's jugular. She didn't even wait for it to drop before she was on the next target. Adriane barked angrily as the hunter swung his gun towards her. Firing off a couple of rounds, she dodged to the side and snapped her teeth at him. Picking up her right leg, Adriane lunged forward and yanked the gun out of his arm. Without any weapon, he was an easy kill.

Adriane turned and instantly found herself facing a small group of rogues. Three of them to be exact. She growled, and went after the one that was the biggest. One jumped onto her back while she was busy with the rogue, and bit into her scruff. Howling in pain, Adriane rolled, trying to get the rogue off her neck. She heard a sharp crack, and the rogue's yelp was cut off. Completing her roll, the two remaining rogues backed her against a tree. Blood trickled through her fur, feeling like ants crawling on her. Another rogue replaced its fallen comrade.

Almost in sync, all three launched towards Adriane. With the force of the weight, her head snapped back and slammed into the tree. Stars danced in Adriane's vision and she felt herself start to lose consciousness. No, I'm an Alpha! I will not bow! She dragged her body back up. Shutting the rest of the fights out, she zeroed in on one of the rogues. With a burst of strength that Adriane believe came from her wolf, she launched herself at impossible speeds and before Adriane knew it, the rogue's neck snapped.

More came, like a hydra. Two replaced the one. A furry body launched itself into the crowd, to stand next to Adriane, as one joined her other side. To her left was Amber and to her right was Charlotte. Adriane growled at them for getting involved. Though she was thankful. She obviously wouldn't have won alone. Charlotte took the rogue farthest from Adriane's right, while Adriane defended against the rogues that were trying to get to Amber.

As like before, ever rogue that the trio killed, two more came. Four wolves went for Charlotte and Adriane. They were on the ground in seconds, their blood spurting. Blackness started clouding Adriane's vision. The last sight she saw were hunters sedating Amber, until she went limp, and carried her off. No, Amber! Adriane tried to get up. Her wolf helping her every step of the way, trying to give Adriane extra support. A rogue turned and growled at her. Lunging as fast as she could, Adriane bit down into it's neck. It let out a hoarse whine before slipping into oblivion. Soon, Adriane was swarmed by what felt like thousands of rogues. Everything went black. They had once again, succeed in taking away what mattered to her.