Chapter 6

Adriane's demand was met by silence. She silently fumed as she stalked her way towards the Alpha's study. Flinging the door open, she found no one about. Adriane screeched angrily, turned, and made her way down the hall to reach the stairs to go up to her room. Entering her room she rough grabbed her closet door and shuffled around in the back until she pulled out a medium sized gym bag. She yanked out various dresser draws, throwing pairs of pants, shirts, underwear and the like on to the bed to be packed later. It then dawned on her that Jake would most likely know where his father was. 

Stopping in the middle of what she was doing, she rushed back off to the training arena. They should just be wrapping up practice. Adriane thundered down the stairs and raced through the front door. Pumping her arms, she ran as fast as she could across the pack grounds to the training area. She mumbled quick apologies to the pack members that tried to strike up conversations with her as she passed.

Bursting into the field that the obstacle course was set up in, Adriane found everyone stretching but Jake. She jogged up to Finn.

"Where's Jake?" Adriane asked impatiently and slightly winded. Finn looked up from his leg stretch.

"Jake? He left early to meet with someone at the cafe. He claimed it was urgent and he'd be late if he did stretches. He bolted before Hank could even protest. Why are you looking for Jake?" He said, wariness in his expression. Adriane growled under her breath.

"The cafe right off the grounds?" She ignored his question.

"That's the one," Adriane nodded and took off again, not listening to Finn's calls. Fortunately, the cafe was closest to the border she was near.

After the short distance to town, Adriane opened the clear glass door with the cafe's logo on it. She was greeted by a blast of cool air. The cinnamon and coffee scented aroma filled her nostrils. A high chime rang. Adriane noticed Jake's head shoot up, before quickly lowering it. She walked over to his table and slapped a hand down on his table, not caring about the attention she drew. Jake jumped at the noise.

"Where's the Alpha," she bit out, whispering fiercely. Jake looked up, confusion written in his expression.

"I was wondering the same thing. He wasn't teaching training today, which he usually does. That's what you're here for? My dad? You mean Finn didn't tell you?"

"Yes, of course. And what do you mean Finn didn't tell me? Aren't you here meeting your dad?" Jake gained an anxious look as he glanced to the door. Another chime went off, but Adriane didn't bother to look.

"So, he didn't... No, I'm not here to meet my dad. Actually, I'm hear to meet-"

"Hi, Jake!" Adriane turned around to see a human girl. She had honey colored, shoulder length hair and bright blue eyes. Her step faltered when she saw Adriane. "Oh, hi," the human said to her, sending Jake a look. "I didn't realize Jake invited someone else to hang with us. I'm Gwen." She sent Adriane a hesitant smile.

"Oh no, Jake didn't invite me. I'm his cousin, Adriane. I just came to ask Jake a question," Adriane saw her features visibly brighten and a look of relief past.

"Adriane was just leaving, Gwen. I'm sorry, I didn't expect her to show up here," Jake said, sending Adriane a pointed look. I bet he's really wishing we could mind link in human form. She thought to herself in amusement.

"Yeah. But first, Jake, would your mother know where he is?" I asked, giving Jake a raised eyebrow. He nodded.

"Most likely. She's off at the mall with Samantha," Samantha was Hank's mate. I thanked him, said goodbye to Gwen, and left the shop. The mall wasn't far, a few blocks from the cafe. It wasn't large. It held a few big name stores, a few local ones, one or two dessert places and a small theater. It was outdoors, and usually packed. Adriane scanned various stores that she knew the Luna shopped at. She was no where to be found. Adriane's frustration started building. She needed to know where the Alpha was so she could interrogate him as to why he left her out of the loop.