Cat's Out Of The Bag

Beyonce POV

I didn't like how things ended between my parents and I. I felt like I owed them an apology for acting so insolent like I ain't got no home training. My mama raised me better than that thus I gotta put my pride aside and apologize to everyone.

For that reason, I invited my parents, Mr and Mrs Banks to dinner.

"My parents said they are gonna be here at seven," I said getting off the phone entering the kitchen. Onika and Solange were helping me prepare dinner.

"Beyonce can you at least help me prepare this sweet potato pie," Solange said mashing up the sweet potatoes in a bowl. Onika on the other hand was preparing the mac and cheese and I was on my phone playing Candy Crush.

"Come on babe, come and help us," Onika said opening the oven.

"Fine," I said putting my phone in my pocket. I went over to set the table.

***

So far dinner was silent. All you could hear were the clanking of cutlery on the China plates. Everyone was so engrossed on food and refused to start a conversion. From the corner of my eye I saw my dad side eyeing me.

"So who's your little friend Beyonce?" My mom finally uttered something and breaking the silence. She said pointing at Onika who was sitting next to me.

"That's Onika ma," I said. I then cleared my throat as I put my fork and knife down, "I'll like to say something. I would like to apologize for my behavior the last time we saw each other. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did," I said.

"Its fine," my dad stated. "On another note, the marriage preparations are in order," he continued.

"That's another thing. I ain't getting married," I said.

It was like I killed the president or something because my dad gave me a hostile glare. I felt Onika slightly squeezing my hand from under the table. She gave me a reassuring smile and that helped me gain my strength and confidence.

"I already have someone I'm seeing," I said bravely.

"Well, break up with that idiot. I've already chosen a man for you and I'm not going back on my word," he spat.

Hold up. Did this man say what I think he said about my lover? Did he just called my lover an idiot? That's where I draw the line.

"Aye!" I said standing up, "Don't talk about the love of my life like that" I said with my eyes glued to my dad. I could feel the eyes of the rest of the people in the table on me.

My dad got out of sit and I did likewise. We stood next to the table where we were just glaring at each other. I was prepared to let it go physical if I had to. I don't give a damn that he was my father or the preacher, imma kick is ass if he refused to listen to me this time around.

"You are marrying Charles whether you like it or not," he said through gritted teeth.

"That's BULLSHIT!" I spat. In just a blink of an eye I felt my cheek sting. I lost my balance and I felt Onika catching me in just the nick of time.

"Is this what we taught you Beyonce? You have never cursed not even once in your life," I heard my mother say as she went to stand next to my father.

On a serious note, what she said almost made me to burst out laughing. I saw Solange busy laughing silently in the corner of my eye.

"Whose this person you're seeing?" my mother continued.

I turned next to me with a smile. I held Onika's hand and I pecked her lips causing her to also smile.

"Its her. Onika is the love of my life," I said lowly with my eyes still glued to Onika.

"Another one," I heard Mr Banks as he lifted up his hands like he was surrendering.

"Onika is my girlfriend. I love her and there is nothing that you guys can do," I said referring to everyone in the room.

"Preach girl. Come on Bey, lesbi-honest about this situation," Solange said causing all of us to stare in her direction. "Why are y'all looking at me for? Its about time she told y'all," she said lowly.

"This is unacceptable. What are the people going to say? Are you trying to humiliate me? I'm not gonna allow this," my dad said furiously.

"Why do always wanna make me feel like I'm not good enough and the things I do weren't good enough?" I said on the verge of tears. "All my life I had to be perfect and everything that I did must be perfect but the truth is, ain't no body perfect. All my life I had to live up to your expectations," I said wiping my tears and brought Onika close to me. "Onika made me realise that I may be a free butterfly in this world but something was dragging me down and prevented me from tasting my own freedom and that thing dragging me down is you," I said pointing at my dad.

In retrospect, I believe I'm right. My dad always used me to feed his ego and never cared about what it was doing to me. Truth be told, I can't put the blame all on him. I was also to blame by not making it clear to him that I was a grown ass woman and that he can no longer control my life.

"I'm not gonna tolerate such. You're getting married to him whether you like it or not," me dad said with furrowed eyebrows.

"With all due respect but that ain't gonna happen. I'm in love with Onika and she is the one I planned to marry," I said nonchalantly.

Without a word the guests took their belongings and left. As he was closing the door my dad gave me one last glare then he left.